whisky lovers

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Is it this one? Got this from a cousin in the industry around Christmas and I'm a fan. Strong as you say but lovely watered down, great bang for buck.

Hide contents

4i7ixpk.jpg

Aye, that's the one I've got.

On 5/29/2019 at 18:00, GiGi said:

Is it this one? Got this from a cousin in the industry around Christmas and I'm a fan. Strong as you say but lovely watered down, great bang for buck.

Hide contents

4i7ixpk.jpg

Nice. Takes a bit of water though. Also good is the 'batch strength' Tamdhu. Lovely sherried goodness.

It’s the Islay Festival this week and I was given 2 miniatures of this years festival releases from Bunnahabhain.

One is an 11 year old peated version that was finished in French Oak whilst the other is an 18yo unpeated that spent the last 5 years in a Sauternes* cask.

Both are about 55%.

*I’ve no idea what that is.

Ancnoc Black Hill Reserve anybody?  
ancob.non10.jpg&key=51e7f8db9c6b734d8c907735f24ce7b56b01886f45476872ca932ee738172785
Pretty good stuff, however, I had a bottle of it in my digs the night I was phoned at work and told my dad had died suddenly.

I proceeded to tan about 750 ml of it and passd out. Not great memories associated with it, but it is decent.

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Pretty good stuff, however, I had a bottle of it in my digs the night I was phoned at work and told my dad had died suddenly.

I proceeded to tan about 750 ml of it and passd out. Not great memories associated with it, but it is decent.

I have a similar relationship with Lagavulin.

I have been tempted to buy  a small ex sherry cask and fill it with bottle dregs/shite blends and new make and hope for the best for a couple of a few years.
I want to go grain to bottle. Find it really interesting.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I have been tempted to buy  a small ex sherry cask and fill it with bottle dregs/shite blends and new make and hope for the best for a couple of a few years.

I was thinking about this but when I read about it, it said the smaller the cask, the higher the % loss.

Also, sherry casks tend to be really expensive.

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

I was thinking about this but when I read about it, it said the smaller the cask, the higher the % loss.

Glass demijohns and your own variety of wood chips..... 

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah did the Fettercairn tour (shite whisky) last year and they said the demand for sherry casks in the whisky industry is getting bigger and bigger whilst the consumption if sherry is falling. Some empty casks are going for stupid amounts.

I would have one in an ideal world but I just wanted a small one to experiment with as long as somethings been aged in it. Not too bothered about the percentage loss and I would hope it would mature quicker with the liquid having more surface area to play with.

18 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also :lol:

Edited by gannonball

That’s exactly why I ditched the idea. If you find one with good reviews then let me know.

I think it would be really interesting.

On a vaguely similar theme, Deanston were starting to do a tour where you can blend your own whisky.

Edited by Ziggy

I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also [emoji38]
Theres a place in falkirk that sells old whisky barrells. They will be spent for the industry standards presumably. You could probably dump some sherry in it for a few weeks and let it infuse the wood though. Least youd be getting a proper built one