whisky lovers

Going to visit either Edradour or Blair Atholl distillery whilst up that way (only time for one). Any recommendations of which is best?

Edradour is a smashing wee distillery, well worth a visit.
The Signatory, single cask version of Edradour is well worth getting at about £40 odd quid, one of my favourites. It’s usually bottled at 10/ 11 years old and is very smooth and drinkable.

I was at Blair Athol on Saturday. It was pretty poor TBH.

The tour guide knew loads about production but very little knowledge about the whiskies we were tasting.

You basically get a cupboard of Diageo owned whiskies and told you can pick 4 of your own which is fine but it's not a tutored tasting session which is what I paid for.

Have to say the dram drawn from the 32 yo cask was excellent though.

I'm planning my Islay trip in a few weeks now. Looking for recommendations. More tasting experiences than tours (there are only so many mash tuns you can look at in life) , cask drawn tastings preferred or anything with rare or unusual expressions. Anywhere where they are free and easy with giving it out is good too.

I was at Blair Athol on Saturday. It was pretty poor TBH.
The tour guide knew loads about production but very little knowledge about the whiskies we were tasting.
You basically get a cupboard of Diageo owned whiskies and told you can pick 4 of your own which is fine but it's not a tutored tasting session which is what I paid for.
Have to say the dram drawn from the 32 yo cask was excellent though.
I'm planning my Islay trip in a few weeks now. Looking for recommendations. More tasting experiences than tours (there are only so many mash tuns you can look at in life) , cask drawn tastings preferred or anything with rare or unusual expressions. Anywhere where they are free and easy with giving it out is good too.
I'd recommend the Lagavulin warehouse demonstration to you. I've had everything in there from new make spirit up to 40 odd year old.

Bunnahabhain do another type of warehouse tour which is three whiskies from the cask in the warehouse with some other tastings thrown in. Last time I did it the trio were oloroso, manzanilla and Beaujolais casks - outatanding value for a tour. I also find them to be the most welcoming (which is some accolade on Islay).

Bruichladdich are very generous with the welcome nips and whilst I've not (yet) done their warehouse tour I've heard many good things about it. The standard tour there is very good as it is, because you get the bonus of a wee chat about their gin.

Bowmore tasting bar is as it sounds, and has the best views from any distillery bar. They do some flavoured pairing tastings also.

Ardbeg I associate with hearty food to soak up the booze taken on board at Lagavulin and Laphroaig on the way up from town! I did once do a rare expression tour there and it was ace.

Kilchoman is the only one I haven't toured (yet), but they do a nice range of tastings with their cafe menu. Cafe is good, and a must visit when there is the big beach nearby - it's a stunner.

That leaves Caol Ila which is not overly generous with the drams in my experience and often has been closed on my visits.

And Laphroaig which is the grandfather of whisky tours. Basically if you fancy a certain type of tour, they probably run it. Tours end in their bar and you get a number of tokens to spend on whichever combo you wish.

Enjoy your trip!

ps. Final tip - do visit the Spar shop in Bowmore, trust me it's an experience for the whisky drinker!

On 18/07/2018 at 08:01, bishopburn boy said:

Ballechin, as memory serves , for peated , though that does sound a bit men in black 

Thats the one cheers

12 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Any members of Costco out there ? 25 year old Glenfarclas delivered to your door for £99:99.

I got two bottles (one to drink, one to keep) of it from amazon but it was 110 pound each the other week. Think I actually prefer their 21 year old Ive got tbh.

One thing I do like about their whisky is it might not be mind blowing but they have suck to their traditional bottling/packaging and their prices is miles under others for the older stock.

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Edradour was good, £10 for a tour which included two drams was good value. As we were the last tour of the day, the tasting bar was closed which was pretty disappointing, but they sad you could go back the next day with your receipt and go in.

Tasting bar wasnt open for some reason the day I was there either for some reason. 

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I got two bottles (one to drink, one to keep) of it from amazon but it was 110 pound each the other week. Think I actually prefer their 21 year old Ive got tbh.

One thing I do like about their whisky is it might not be mind blowing but they have suck to their traditional bottling/packaging and their prices is miles under others for the older stock.

That's not an uncommon opinion with Glenfarclas. You can also get it for under £80 and you're not getting much better in that price range among core bottlings.

Edited by GiGi

• 2 weeks later...

Up in assynt this week so took opportunity to pop into Drumbeg shop.

They bottle a different single cask every year  http://www.drumbegstores.co.uk/4drumbeg-whisky-page.html

This year it's a 9yo Fettercairn and it's outstanding. Really rich but sweet enough to be drank straight even at 55%

Enjoying this belter tonight. Bought a bottle after trying another sample of a sherried Glenallachie that's now sold out. 

Well worth. A spicy example though, even generously adding water doesn't tame it much.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenallachie/glenallachie-12-year-old-2004-cask-900641-rest-and-be-thankful-whisky/

Edited by GiGi

Enjoying this belter tonight. Bought a bottle after trying another sample of a sherried Glenallachie that's now sold out. 
Well worth. A spicy example though, even generously adding water doesn't tame it much.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenallachie/glenallachie-12-year-old-2004-cask-900641-rest-and-be-thankful-whisky/

I treated myself to a fairly extravagant purchase of Glendronach 18 Allardice. Have you tried? Have I purchased wisely?

I wanted a proper sherry bomb having had lots of peaty/island types recently.

Also, anyone ever had Aultmore 12?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I treated myself to a fairly extravagant purchase of Glendronach 18 Allardice. Have you tried? Have I purchased wisely?

Yes you have it's really, really good. 

I don't know how much you paid for it but generally it's one of the most highly regarded sherried stalwarts in the game so whatever it was you won't regret it. 

Yes you have it's really, really good. 
I don't know how much you paid for it but generally it's one of the most highly regarded sherried stalwarts in the game so whatever it was you won't regret it. 
Cheers. It was about 80 iirc, I really wanted the 21 Parliament but couldn't justify it to myself. Have tried a Glendronach before and liked it but I wanted to go a bit higher up the range for a proper quality bottle. My usual budget for a bottle is 40 or 50 quid but owed myself a wee treat.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cheers. It was about 80 iirc, I really wanted the 21 Parliament but couldn't justify it to myself. Have tried a Glendronach before and liked it but I wanted to go a bit higher up the range for a proper quality bottle. My usual budget for a bottle is 40 or 50 quid but owed myself a wee treat.

About going rate you'll feel fine about that when you try it. I haven't tried the 21 either but I've heard many people who have say they preferred the 18 anyway. 

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If you look at the distilling history of glendronach , it was closed ( silent) at that point , so you are getting older spirit than 18 , so they can continue their core range ,

and its fantastic stuff ! 

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

If you look at the distilling history of glendronach , it was closed ( silent) at that point , so you are getting older spirit than 18 , so they can continue their core range ,

and its fantastic stuff ! 

I think that was what happened to the currently discontinued 15 year old Revival. There may well be older juice in the 18 as well, wouldn't be surprised, but it was certainly the case that the 15 year old was bottled with a more realistic minimum age of 18+. Just due to the time the distillery was closed it couldn't have been any younger. 

11 hours ago, GiGi said:

About going rate you'll feel fine about that when you try it. I haven't tried the 21 either but I've heard many people who have say they preferred the 18 anyway. 

The 21 is one of my favourite whiskies, with the 18 almost as good. Absolutely phenomenal.