whisky lovers

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to fire into all my unopened bottles tonight having put in the hard yards of not opening a new bottle for over a year to clear the back log.
I'll put my thoughts on here later so if you had plans tonight cancel them.
In the market for a fathers day bottle so will read keenly.

Last week I tried the Clynelish 14. Really enjoyed it. Certainly well worth the 40 note price tag.

We're off.

Dalwhinnie Winter Gold.

No expectations here. NAS cheap as f**k supermarket Xmas gift stuff. A gift from my well meaning mother. Dalwhinnie suggest you serve this from the freezer which should raise alarms in anyone's mind. 

Loads of white pepper, spice and oak on the nose. Same again in the mouth but with a little of that Dalwhinnie honey.

Not as bad as I feared. Bit too strong on the spice for me.  Tastes almost like a strong spirit and very young.

5/10 for and that's with getting a mark for being 25 quid a bottle.

IMAG1446.jpg

Glenfiddich IPA 

Very fresh nose compared to others. Very light and hugely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a whisky maybe a bit of watermelon on the palate. Bit of citrus on the finish but TBH nothing about it would suggest IPA if I wasn't looking for it.

Forgetting the IPA bit and just judging it on its own merits it's very nice. Not overly complex but on a night like this still light out and still warm a good summer whisky.

8/10

Edited by invergowrie arab

Glenfiddich IPA 
Very fresh nose compared to others. Very light and hugely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a whisky maybe a bit of watermelon on the palate. Bit of citrus on the finish but TBH nothing about it would suggest IPA if I wasn't looking for it.
Forgetting the IPA bit and just judging it on its own merits it's very nice. Not overly complex but on a night like this still light out and still warm a good summer whisky.
8/10
I'm looking forward to the review of the 14th bottle. Should make an entertaining read!

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:
6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:
Glenfiddich IPA 
8/10

I'm looking forward to the review of the 14th bottle. Should make an entertaining read!

Fucking class. Like all you c***s. Fucking class lads 11/10

Highland Park Harald, I think it's an airport exclusive.

I had 90 quids worth of Danish Krone left at Copenhagen airport and needed rid of it as you can't do much else with DKR.

TBH I panicked. Paying 90 quid for a bottling at 40% is mental but they they were calling us to the gate, I was in Denmark and they had put Viking helmets around the display.

It's a perfectly nice whisky though. Easily identifiable as a highland park. Sweet and smooth with that highland park hint of smokiness.

Will I enjoy drinking it? Yes. Would I recommend you buy it?No. If you have near 100 quid burning a hole go for something fancier and stronger.

7/10

Onto the cask strengths now which is where all the cool kids hang out.

Arran Bothy Quarter Cask Batch 2 bottled at a lovely 55%

I did have a couple of nips of this over new year despite my self imposed no new bottles ban.

Dark chocolate/cocoa, prunes and dates but with something lighter sweeter sitting on the top, I might be tasting the arran marram grass or I might be getting drunk.

Anyway, an excellent dram. 9/10.

Been looking forward to the Springbank 12 cask strength for months.

As the young folks say, it's everything.

One of the very few cask strengths that I think doesn't need even a drop of water. Perfectly balanced.

It's sweet cherries, just a hint of smoke, cocoa, amaretto and a touch of spice on the finish. 

An outstanding whisky

10/10

ETA it blows my mind that if memory serves me right I paid about 60-70 quid for this. I have tried whiskies that cost 10X that that aren't as good.

56 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Onto the cask strengths now which is where all the cool kids hang out.

Arran Bothy Quarter Cask Batch 2 bottled at a lovely 55%

I did have a couple of nips of this over new year despite my self imposed no new bottles ban.

Dark chocolate/cocoa, prunes and dates but with something lighter sweeter sitting on the top, I might be tasting the arran marram grass or I might be getting drunk.

Anyway, an excellent dram. 9/10.

Fuckin-A man. I literally just picked up a bottle of batch 3 of this in Largs yesterday. It's excellent. 

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Been looking forward to the Springbank 12 cask strength for months.

As the young folks say, it's everything.

One of the very few cask strengths that I think doesn't need even a drop of water. Perfectly balanced.

It's sweet cherries, just a hint of smoke, cocoa, amaretto and a touch of spice on the finish. 

An outstanding whisky

10/10

ETA it blows my mind that if memory serves me right I paid about 60-70 quid for this. I have tried whiskies that cost 10X that that aren't as good.

Yep this is the main eventer right here. I've got 2 different batches and there's not really much distinguishable between them. A very good night for you.

15 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Fuckin-A man. I literally just picked up a bottle of batch 3 of this in Largs yesterday. It's excellent. 

Yep this is the main eventer right here. I've got 2 different batches and there's not really much distinguishable between them. A very good night for you.

I have my birthday at end of the month and asked if I needed whisky. I said no as I have these 6 and a few other dregs.

Mind changed now. I need as many bottles of that Springbank as I can get my hands on.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

I have my birthday at end of the month and asked if I needed whisky. I said no as I have these 6 and a few other dregs.

Mind changed now. I need as many bottles of that Springbank as I can get my hands on.

The last couple of batches have been around £55 a bottle. I challenge anyone to find better whisky at that price. 

May be uttering bad language in this thread but what are your thoughts on whisk(e)y cocktails?

Obviously not blending the good stuff with coke or soda water or whatever but now that we're in the summer months do any of you mix tasty cocktails at home or drink them elsewhere?

I particularly love a manhattan with strong bourbon or at least a decent rye whiskey in there. Also partial to a rusty nail, lightly peated scotch plus Glayva or Drambuie does the trick on ice. Sitting with a manhattan with Knob Creek as the base, have tried it with a few and this one is hitting the sweet spot. 

PS accept if my thread membership is revoked as a result of this heresy. 

15 hours ago, GiGi said:

May be uttering bad language in this thread but what are your thoughts on whisk(e)y cocktails?

Obviously not blending the good stuff with coke or soda water or whatever but now that we're in the summer months do any of you mix tasty cocktails at home or drink them elsewhere?

I particularly love a manhattan with strong bourbon or at least a decent rye whiskey in there. Also partial to a rusty nail, lightly peated scotch plus Glayva or Drambuie does the trick on ice. Sitting with a manhattan with Knob Creek as the base, have tried it with a few and this one is hitting the sweet spot. 

Enjoy in moderation. Not fucking 10 in the one night you utter weapon.

15 hours ago, GiGi said:

I find Glayva on its own makes for a decent half price alternative to a whisky and Drambuie rusty nail in the pub.

18 hours ago, GiGi said:

I’ll happlily fire an average blend/bourbon etc into a nice Old Fashioned or Sazerac. I’m not going to sit and drink a poor blend straight so perfectly acceptable.

I’ve been in a couple of places where they’ve got cocktails made with a 25 year old single malt (basically only for rich people who want to show off by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu) which always makes me cringe.