whisky lovers

It was an interesting watch.

I like Brian Cox. Honest, authentic, and earthy. A bit like a good malt, in fact :)

Very interesting programme. Quite depressing as well that for so many years rot gut was distilled and sold in this country in a completely unregulated way leading to so many tragic consequences. Also I did not realise that one of the reasons Scottish Whisky became so popular globally was by this accident of the three years and one day rule.

Yeah, I work there.

Used to do regular trips to a Dingwall petrol station to pick up a few of the old square bottles at healthy discount. rolleyes.gif How does the new stuff compare, and is it still only for export apart from Muir of Ord?

Bunnahabhain, if you've not tried it your missing out. like a jura aswell

If you like Jura you should pick up a bottle of the Superstition, Tesco doing it for £25 until end of the month, likewise Laphroaig Quarter Cask & Talisker.

I'm looking for a bottle in the £50 range, Old Pulteney 17 yr old has been recommended, as have a few of the Arran bottlings. Might just take a trip to Robertsons of Pitlochry and see what he has in stock. Fantastic wee shop, on the market incidentally £350k is out of my price range however.

Another decent wee shop is the West End garage in Dingwall, have seen a few good offers in there.

That's great value for IMO a fine malt.

I bought a bottle of it the other day. I first tried it while I was walking the West Highland way as it was 'malt of the month' at Kingshouse and remember quite liking it, althought I'd had a few pints before hand. I'm going to wait until I finish for Christmas before opening it.

I bought a bottle of it the other day. I first tried it while I was walking the West Highland way as it was 'malt of the month' at Kingshouse and remember quite liking it, althought I'd had a few pints before hand. I'm going to wait until I finish for Christmas before opening it.

I was tempted to crack open a new bottle last night to toast Wiggo taking SPOTY, but, like you, I'm holding off till the holiday arrives proper.

If you like Jura you should pick up a bottle of the Superstition, Tesco doing it for £25 until end of the month, likewise Laphroaig Quarter Cask & Talisker.

I'm looking for a bottle in the £50 range, Old Pulteney 17 yr old has been recommended, as have a few of the Arran bottlings. Might just take a trip to Robertsons of Pitlochry and see what he has in stock. Fantastic wee shop, on the market incidentally £350k is out of my price range however.

Another decent wee shop is the West End garage in Dingwall, have seen a few good offers in there.

I had this in a blind tasting, excellent.

I took delivery of a bottle of 16 year old Scapa and a 10 year old Aberlour last week, courtesy of a colleague whose father-in-law used to work for Diageo, and therefore receives a discount on a very lovely selection of tipples each month. I asked for 12 miniatures of Absolut vodka to be thrown in for my daughter's Christmas. The total cost?

£35 :)

RRP? Something in the region of £105 :)

I've never tried the Scapa, but at less than £16 for the bottle, what's to lose? 10 year old Aberlour is one of the best low costs malts money can buy, so you can't go far wrong with that (not least at £11).

Apologies for sounding a bit smug, but I can't help it....

Seriously lucky getting it for that!! A colleague of mine won a bottle at a posh raffle. I googled it to find it retailed at £60+. Saw a bottle in Newcastle for £70 at the weekend. Anyhoo I bought the bottle from my colleague for £30 and I have to say it is a very, very, nice whisky IMO

• 2 weeks later...

This Christmas, as a combination of presents or as "corporate gifts" I have acquired 2x10 year old Aberlours, 1x10 year old Glenfiddich and 1x12 year old Old Pulteney (and wrong thread but a VSOP Courvoisier too).

In stock from last year I still have some of an 8 year old Dalmore, some of a 2nd release Old Pulteney WK299, a little bit of an 8 year old Glenmorangie and most of a bottle of Monkey Shoulder.

I look forward to demolishing them all with much haste. I particularly liked my Old Pulteney WK299 last year, so I look forward to tasting the 12 year old Old Pulteney. I've already made a fair dent on one of the Aberlours though.

I have recently got into whisky and am somewhat of a novice so I'm only beginning to understand and appreciate each of the components that makes a whisky. My aim is to try 25 new whiskys by the end of the year so hopefully this thread can help me track my progress as well as learn about other quality whiskys.

I'm slightly man flu-ish so have just cracked open a bottle of Glengoyne and have been reading the 'tasting notes' card and I will break down my thoughts into each of the categories on the card as well as having a 'price', 'where you can buy it' and 'rating out of 10'.

Name and age of whisky - Glengoyne, 10 yr

Region - Highlands

Where you can buy it? - Most supermarkets, it's not exactly hard to track down!

Price - £31 ish

Appearance - Golden yellow, exactly as a whisky 'should' look in my mind

Nose - Nice and sweet. Fruits and light toffee.

Mouthfeel - Warm and very comforting, like sitting by the fire or that feeling you get after half a bottle of MD 20/20

Initial taste - Crisp, and clear. A slight hint of fruitiness and a gentle sweetness

Finish - Sharper than you might expect although pleasantly sweet. Malty and almost a hint of smokiness, which I certainly didn't expect

Overall rating - 8.5/10, one of my favourites so far

I have recently got into whisky and am somewhat of a novice so I'm only beginning to understand and appreciate each of the components that makes a whisky. My aim is to try 25 new whiskys by the end of the year so hopefully this thread can help me track my progress as well as learn about other quality whiskys.

I'm slightly man flu-ish so have just cracked open a bottle of Glengoyne and have been reading the 'tasting notes' card and I will break down my thoughts into each of the categories on the card as well as having a 'price', 'where you can buy it' and 'rating out of 10'.

Name and age of whisky - Glengoyne, 10 yr

Region - Highlands

Where you can buy it? - Most supermarkets, it's not exactly hard to track down!

Price - £31 ish

Appearance - Golden yellow, exactly as a whisky 'should' look in my mind

Nose - Nice and sweet. Fruits and light toffee.

Mouthfeel - Warm and very comforting, like sitting by the fire or that feeling you get after half a bottle of MD 20/20

Initial taste - Crisp, and clear. A slight hint of fruitiness and a gentle sweetness

Finish - Sharper than you might expect although pleasantly sweet. Malty and almost a hint of smokiness, which I certainly didn't expect

Overall rating - 8.5/10, one of my favourites so far

Think I will be having a wee snifter t this thread over the course of 2013, I like the occasional whisky, Isle of Jura is a favourite as well as others.

im on the laphroaig 10 yo at the moment. bunged up with a cold so its about the only thing i can taste right now. without my nasal passages the subtelty and s salt air tastes are gone and it ls just like drinking a peat fire. this is a good thing.

im an islay man but have a fondness for talisker and highland park too