whisky lovers

I'm really enjoying Highland park. my favourite shop is Robbie's Drams in Ayr. There's always a good offer or two to be had in there and it's fairly local to me.

I hope this thread keeps going as I'm always open to recommendations on new ones to try.

Robbie's dram in Ayr is a fine shop, been a while since iv'e been in though. Highland Park is a good whisky, have you seen the highland park thor, it is the first of a range of special editions dedicated to norse gods. i don't know what it will taste like, i think its a 16yo but the presentation of the case is fantastic.

Helloooooo whisky thread!

Living near a handful of distilleries, I like the idea of this thread. I live just over a mile from Dalmore, and I don't know whether is bias or not, but I'm quite fond of a few of theirs.

Most of the regular Dalmore's (8 & 12 etc) are all a good dram, as is "The Black Pearl" (although this is an airport exclusive one) and the Black Isle.

I also like a Jura, or a Highland Park.

But top of the pile at the moment is The Old Pulteney from Wick. Their singles are pretty decent and right now I've just cracked into a birthday present of an Old Pulteney WK499: Isabella Fortuna. Strangely there's no age statement on it, so I've no idea how old it is, but I likes it!

I'm not a big fan of anything too smoky or peaty though.

have you tried the Dalmore Cigar malt, iv'e never tasted a malt quite like it, very different to anything iv'e ever tried. and they do the rivers collection now too, they are meant to be good.

Malt wise, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin or really any of the more peaty Islay malts are the bees knees, though I like most highland and speyside as well as the Islay malts.

WHen it comes to blends though, Irish is best. Sorry, but it's true.:(

Not wanting to go off topic but has anyone ever tried pussers rum? It's described as the single malt of rum and was the rum issued daily to the royal navy up until 1970. Now only issued if the queen, member of the royal family or admiralty board order splice the mainbrace.

Only mentioning it as a lot of malt drinkers would enjoy the stuff.

Edited by BigMartyn86

Not wanting to go off topic but has anyone ever tried pussers rum? It's described as the single malt of rum and was the rum issued daily to the royal navy up until 1970. Now only issued if the queen, member of the royal family or admiralty board order splice the mainbrace.

Only mentioning it as a lot of malt drinkers would enjoy the stuff.

Yep. Dark rum in general is a great alternative if you're in the mood, and pussers is the business.

What about these weird malts that distilleries are putting out now, like the ones that use claret barrels that make the whisky go dark red. Any good or just shite for tourists?

The Glenmorangie La Santa (sherry cask) is one of my favourites actually.

Laphroaig is my personal favourite. Very peaty and strong nose. Warms the cockles.

Laphroaig for me is the worst i have ever tasted, i found it was like putting a spot of water in an ash tray and sipping away at it.

I don't have a favorite i prefer to keep a variety of different ones on the go, i do tend to always make sure i have a bottle of Glenmorangie La Santa in cupboard though.

i'll get the ball rolling, the wife got me a bottle of Dalmore distillery managers exclusive 1995 vintage from the whisky shop in Buchanan Galleries yesterday, haven't opened it yet. anyone tried this, i'm told it's a whisky shop exclusive.

My mum, my brother and I got two bottles of that as a Christmas present for my stepdad. One to drink and one to keep as "an investment". Apparently the bottle number is on the bottom of the bottle, purely because it's a "special edition" whisky.

That's all I have to add, although I did try a Japanese whisky a few months ago and it was quite nice. I can't mind the name of it though.

Laphroaig for me is the worst i have ever tasted, i found it was like putting a spot of water in an ash tray and sipping away at it.

I don't have a favorite i prefer to keep a variety of different ones on the go, i do tend to always make sure i have a bottle of Glenmorangie La Santa in cupboard though.

When I first got into whisky, I absolutely hated Laphroaig and avoided it for years. I later found that this was because whenever I'd tried it in a pub, the barman had put a bit of ice in it and even if you take it out straight away, it stills has a massive influence on the taste. Having it neat however, it's one of my favourite drams.

Trying not to be too snobbish, I get the feeling that a lot of folk are just trying the heavilly marketed ones in the pub (Highland Park / Laphraoig / Lagavulin / Glenfiddich / Glenmorangie & Talisker). IMO there's a reason they have to be marketed so much and there's so many better ones to be found. One of the best whisky pubs I know of is luckilly on my doorstep in Aberdeen (The Grill) but it's nothing compared to the Grouse Inn which is a lone bar out in the Cabrach, Moray. The selection is spectacular (and they do a fine meal too :) ).

When I first got into whisky, I absolutely hated Laphroaig and avoided it for years. I later found that this was because whenever I'd tried it in a pub, the barman had put a bit of ice in it and even if you take it out straight away, it stills has a massive influence on the taste. Having it neat however, it's one of my favourite drams.

Trying not to be too snobbish, I get the feeling that a lot of folk are just trying the heavilly marketed ones in the pub (Highland Park / Laphraoig / Lagavulin / Glenfiddich / Glenmorangie & Talisker). IMO there's a reason they have to be marketed so much and there's so many better ones to be found. One of the best whisky pubs I know of is luckilly on my doorstep in Aberdeen (The Grill) but it's nothing compared to the Grouse Inn which is a lone bar out in the Cabrach, Moray. The selection is spectacular (and they do a fine meal too :) ).

Laphroaig is alright, i never have my whisky anything other than straight, water and ice take away from the experience imo

i think that the marketed one are just the most accessible, in pubs/supermarkets etc. but your right there are some gems to be found. especially from the independent distilleries, i had a bottle of 12yo Inchmurrin from the loch lomond distillery in the house not that long ago and i would recommend that to anyone.

your lucky that you have one of the best whisky regions on your doorstep, so it would be a travesty if pubs round your way didn't take advantage of that. living in the central belt there is only a couple of pubs that i would say were decent whisky pubs and both those are in Glasgow.

Used to be a big fan of Glen Ord which is only sold in the Far East now. You used to get it in a Petrol Station in Dingwall for £16 when the normal price was £32. They've stopped doing that version now which came in a stubby square bottle, but you can get the new one for the Far East called Singleton of Glen Ord at the Distillary at Muir of Ord. I picked up a bottle when I was up for the County Day of the Streaker, but for a friend as £35 is a bit beyond my price bracket. Now I've got to try and get the cash off him while still drinking a fair bit of it..

What about these weird malts that distilleries are putting out now, like the ones that use claret barrels that make the whisky go dark red. Any good or just shite for tourists?

i think alot of distilleries are going through a stage where they are trying to appeal to a broader market, i think that is alright so long as they don't tinker to much with it. i mentioned before that i tried the Dalomre Cigar malt, it was something different and i would love a bottle of it and sit there smoking a huge cigar while drinking it. i'd look the partbiggrin.gif

Leapfrog, Lagavulin and Ardbeg are all real marmite whiskys.

Tell you what though, I had a glass of The Singleton 15year old the other day - now that was an easy drinking but complicated beauty of a malt. YEsh it wash.A tell ye.

You know, I actually love grouse. It's an easy to drink whisky, dirt cheap and everyone serves it if I'm out on a night out.

And if it was good enough for princess Margaret....