whisky lovers

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'll be in Wick tomorrow for about an hour. Passing through...

Is Old Pulteney any good and what would I be looking to score a taste of were I to be an informed flying visitor?

My whisky benchmarks are obviously Islay Islay Islay but I'm willing to broaden my horizons seeing as I am travelling off the end of the earth!

Did a tour there a few months ago, they actually do one that is finished in a formerly heavily peated whisky cask. Wasn't massively smokey or anything but a bit different. In the end I went for the distillery exclusive at the time which was a bourbon finish however my pal went there last month and its now a sherry finish cask which I'm a bit gutted I missed.

Did a tour there a few months ago, they actually do one that is finished in a formerly heavily peated whisky cask. Wasn't massively smokey or anything but a bit different. In the end I went for the distillery exclusive at the time which was a bourbon finish however my pal went there last month and its now a sherry finish cask which I'm a bit gutted I missed.

Sherry is my radar. I am turning in in my Premier Inn between home and there a very happy man!!  

Edit for atmospheric shot from near my car park

Edit my phone is drunker than me.

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Is Old Pulteney any good and what would I be looking to score a taste of were I to be an informed flying visitor?

My whisky benchmarks are obviously Islay Islay Islay but I'm willing to broaden my horizons seeing as I am travelling off the end of the earth!

I like Old Pulteney.

No idea what the visitor experience is like but if I was passing i’d drop in.

Thought the old Putney 10 (or 12) was meh. Older versions I have no idea, but the entry level stuff is mediocre.

I ended up not having enough time to get there. I started following a walking trail about Telford and Lowry, got speaking to a nice old roaster in his coffee shop (Caithness Coffee Company, do a nice flat white), and saw the smallest street in the world (Ebenezer Place, 2.06m long, apparently).

I also saw a pixie at Dunrobin Castle Station. It's been quite the day.

So the whisky distillery will have to wait until my next visit. Wick Academy FC will be getting a visit from me, eventually. IMG_20190525_092145.jpg

Tried Glen Scotia double cask this morning. Pretty good. Like the Campbeltown style.

Also, wee shout for Tamnavulin. Often available at 20 notes, a lot better than a kot of other stuff on that price range. Decent nailing bottle.

Just got a bottle of Oban 14 for £38.99 and Aberlour 16 for £48.45 on Amazon. Any of you tried them before?

download.jpg.e39ed52b7c62f34eb9b98e4b334e7593.jpg
shopping.png.4254e3b5a4c477c87cbddd66d6230383.png
Both pretty decent. The Oban is a timy bit sweet for my taste IIrC but its been a while since I had it. Both decent prices too I think.

Opened the Glenlivet oloroso, poured a healthy measure and sipped away, lovely stuff took a bit of dripping water to get to my taste but worth it. Mistake with my other post ,it's 60.3% not 63% . Nearly but not quite as good as the Dalmore 15yo. IMHO.

My Glenlivet first fill oloroso order came today, is indeed the cask strength 63%.Looking forward to sampling some this evening , cheers for the heads up gannonball.
I enjoyed this one too despite not really being a Glenlivet fan

2 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Opened the Glenlivet oloroso, poured a healthy measure and sipped away, lovely stuff took a bit of dripping water to get to my taste but worth it. Mistake with my other post ,it's 60.3% not 63% . Nearly but not quite as good as the Dalmore 15yo. IMHO.

Ah you might have got one of the original ones if its 60.3? Yet to have my 55% as not home till Thursday so will hopefully try it then. Yeah does need a fair bit of water which I usually don't do too much of but find you get good value out of it because of it. Think I have only ever had Dalmore 12 and another that was meant to compliment a cigar but both were very nice.

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

Ah you might have got one of the original ones if its 60.3? Yet to have my 55% as not home till Thursday so will hopefully try it then. Yeah does need a fair bit of water which I usually don't do too much of but find you get good value out of it because of it. Think I have only ever had Dalmore 12 and another that was meant to compliment a cigar but both were very nice.

Aye, I got the 60.3% one from Royal Mile Whiskies a wee while back.

I was like Goldilocks with it though, too strong neat, then too much water, etc. Never quite got it right and put it back on the shelf. This post has put me in the mood for going back to give it another go.

1 minute ago, Peedzy said:

I was like Goldilocks with it though, too strong neat, then too much water, etc. Never quite got it right and put it back on the shelf. This post has put me in the mood for going back to give it another go.

Try one cube of ice.

1 hour ago, Peedzy said:

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Try one cube of ice.

I've used the ice cube, my nipples are freezing. I'm away to try the oloroso now to see if tastes nicer, I'll let you know.

1 hour ago, Peedzy said:

Yeah I did the same when I first got it. Ended up with a ridiculous measure after I put too much water in then topped it up again to counter it. It certainly won’t be to everyone’s taste but it’s generally a hit with the sherrybombers.

Is it this one? Got this from a cousin in the industry around Christmas and I'm a fan. Strong as you say but lovely watered down, great bang for buck.

Spoiler

4i7ixpk.jpg