whisky lovers

Anyone else fed up of the 'Whisky Bible', a book written by one guy and simply based on his own opinions?

I've never read it but I used to read the ones done by Michael Jackson (not the paedo one)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got about 1/4 of a bottle of Auchentoshan classic (40%) and three minatures of The Arran Malt 10y/o (46%). Quite like the Auchentoshan one so might go for the 3 Wood at some point. Not tried The Arran Malt yet.

The 3 wood is excellent. I had an Auchentoshan Virgin Oak a few weeks ago and it was verging on the nicest whisky I've ever had. I'm desperate to have it again but it's fairly pricey so will probably wait til my birthday and drop hints in the hope someone buys it.

Bit of a newbie to whisky, bt embarked on a tasting of a few to see what I liked.

Not quite up to the Islay whiskies just yet, out of the ones I have tried there has been only 2 I have went and bought a bottle of myself.

1. The Glenlivet 12 year old

2. Balvennie Carribean Cask

For novices I would really recommend these.

Not a fan of Glenlivet 12yo. Felt it had quite a sour after taste.

Although slightly on the pricey side, I'd definitely recommend Glendronach to someone starting out, due to the sweetness. They finish off their whisky in sherry casks and you can clearly tell this on the nose and palate. I'm a big fan of their 15yo range and the 18yo is nice, if a little rich and overpowering.

Edited by lanky_ffc

• 4 months later...

using the shitty weather as an excuse to crack on the whisky again. Had a bottle of Lagavulin 16 waiting for me since birthday in June but didnt realy fancy it in the better weather.

Really lovely huge peat smoke flavour and nose but not as overpowering as Laphroaig, really dry oaky taste. Think this could end up being a firm favourite.

Saturday night is whisky night!

Laphtoaig PX cask - all the lovely smoky intensity but with a sweet finish . superb.

Mortlach 15 YO . A Gordon and mcphail bottling. Classic speyside, sweet malt , easy clean finish. Mellow, lovely.

Powers " john lane" release 12 YO Irish whiskey, from Middleton distillery cork. A blend. Hard grain taste on tip of tongue, opening up to green apples, sweet fruit, malt finish. Really intriguing . Nice dram.

Need to turn in now after that lot.

Just back from Islay. Returned with a bottle of Port Charlotte 10 & Caol Illa Moch. Mate works for Diagio, got a free tour at Caol Illa and various fine drams. His lass works at Kilchoman so same treatment there.

Everybody has to try Bruichladdich Octomore. The peatiest whisky in the world, fantastic stuff, very smooth, £95 a bottle though :-(

Edited by Desert Nomad

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to make an effort to get into whisky. Bought a Glenmorangie 10 year old today. It's not bad but it seems a bit, I don't know, rough. Might be because I'm not used to drinking whisky. Are there any whiskies anyone here can recommend for a complete novice? Also can anyone recommend a decent whisky shop in Aberdeen in the city centre or within walking distance of the city centre?

Cheers.

Try Wild Turkey £25 quid and sweet no need to put water in it or ice

Is Wild Turkey not good? Or is it not a whisky?

It's not whisky.

Re. adding water, I think you should always add a little to most whiskies. Especially ones that have been chill filtered as they tend to be bottled at a higher strength.

It's mostly macho bullshit that makes people say that you shouldn't add it. Most of the master blenders I know always recommend adding a drop or two as a way of releasing aromas and tastes.

Get out. Get out of the whisky thread!!

Back to Mr jacobsens point I'm right into the lagavulin right now it is absolutely beautiful stuff.

Why I have a lot of experience in this subject.and Wild Turkey is a good one for the price and for somebody not exactly a big whisky drinker

Americans do decent stuff as well it blows away Jack Daniels any way every day of the week

It's not whisky.

Re. adding water, I think you should always add a little to most whiskies. Especially ones that have been chill filtered as they tend to be bottled at a higher strength.

It's mostly macho bullshit that makes people say that you shouldn't add it. Most of the master blenders I know always recommend adding a drop or two as a way of releasing aromas and tastes.

Bourbon whisky made in the same barrels some of our own whisky is used in charred American white oak barrels