whisky lovers

97% of Scotch whisky sales are blends, that should tell you something. Always blended whisky for me. Single malts are like wine, vastly over rated.

might have something to do with the prices also, an alky aint exactly gonna fork out 20 odd quid for a malt when he can get leathered on the supermarket own brand for a tenner

Lucky Git!

That's a crackin bottle you've got there.

For those who like malts but fancy something you won't find in the supermarket, check out the links below.

Bladnoch frequently bottle single casks from other distilleries. Check out their forum for info. Bladnoch Forum

Also checkout Whisky Broker

The guy that gave me it reckoned it was nice stuff. I haven't cracked into it yet.

The guy that gave me it reckoned it was nice stuff. I haven't cracked into it yet.

Their 18 yo @ 55% I had 7 or 8 years ago is the best I've had. They're nice guys down there too

Just bought a bottle of the new Annan Solway 5 year old single malt for 25 quid in Asda in Dumfries. Nice salty finish with a touch of soft herb.

Just bought a bottle of Big Peat, love my Islay malts & some of the vatted bottles are genuinely decent. Can`t wait to get stuck in about it.

http://www.thewhisky...om/P-10738.aspx

Also on my hitlist is Smokehead

http://www.thewhisky...com/P-3698.aspx

I've tried the Smokehead last New Year. Decent stuff, appropriately named.

• 2 weeks later...

Have happened upon ownership of a supposed limited edition Glenfiddich 'Snow Phoenix' from when their distillery roof caved in and they made a blend of everything they could salvage. Has anyone had it? If so, should I drink it or keep it and sell it?

i have had the Snow Phoenix, drink or keep? i drank it, it was smashing. it all depends on what you want to do, at near £100 a pop it is an expensive dram, it is certain to increase in worth so is a sound investment in the long long term, you will not see much profit on it for years so be prepared for a long wait, i heard that they got very near 20,000 bottles out the salvaged casks, so limited but not that limited if you get me.

Righto, speyside malt, the budget is £100.

Go.

never tasted a whisky as consistently good through out their age range like Glenrothes, i tried the 1985 a couple of years ago in the Ben Nevis in Glasgow. the best of the lot in my opinion, £80 from the whisky exchange

link- http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11489.aspx

never tasted a whisky as consistently good through out their age range like Glenrothes, i tried the 1985 a couple of years ago in the Ben Nevis in Glasgow. the best of the lot in my opinion, £80 from the whisky exchange

link- http://www.thewhisky...om/P-11489.aspx

My other half's dad is a stillman there, so I get an awful lot of the 1998 / 94 reserve for free. cool.gif

I blundered about the Buchanan Galleries shop at the wknd and made the following gift purchases. I'm not sure at all whether these bottles are considered decent or not, I was largely directed by the price of each:

1. 18yr Highland Park

2. 'Quarter cask' Laphroaig

3. 18yr Glen Livet

4. Three Wood Auchentoshan

I blundered about the Buchanan Galleries shop at the wknd and made the following gift purchases. I'm not sure at all whether these bottles are considered decent or not, I was largely directed by the price of each:

1. 18yr Highland Park

3. 18yr Glen Livet

Comments are mine, scores from Jim Murray's Whisky Bible

1. Should be good, the 12 year old is excellent in itself (Scores 95.5%)

2. Have had a bottle of this, not to all tastes, very peaty taste. See Hedgecutter's earlier comments about not adding water to Laphroaig. (Scores 95%)

3. Sweet but well balanced, a nice dram but not brilliant. (Scores 83.5%)

4. I liked this when I tried it but not until I had drank a few to get used to it. Jim Murray does not like this whisky though. (Scores 76%)

1. 18yr Highland Park

3. 18yr Glen Livet

i would say 1-3 are good. i have never tasted number 4, my favourite out of that little lot is 18yo Glenlivet.

My dad was clearing out the garage and found this bottle of whisky. I've had a good browse on Google but can't seem to find any info on it. I don't think it's anything spectacular but going to have a dram of it tonight regardless. The postcode on the bottle is for William Grant in Bellshill. Anyone recognise it?

post-28484-0-41141600-1339939364_thumb.j

post-28484-0-51706500-1339939385_thumb.j

post-28484-0-99587700-1339939413_thumb.j

Enjoy a wee dram especially in the winter months Ardbeg and Springbank are my favorite though there is always a gem to be found. Working abroad means purchases can be made from duty free. London and Amsterdam are great places to find rare and special editions

Have also been collecting malts as an investment to auction off in 20 odd years hopefully. It’s not a get rich investment but should be a good wee pocket money earner not to be hit by tax. The prized one in the collection is a presentation case with a copper still filled with 1966 Loch Lomond and a a glass bottle of 1966 Loch Lomond whisky. It’s numbered 44 of 44. Have a few I paid 70 pounds for which are now selling for 160 pounds and that’s just in one year. So if your carful and know what to look for money can be made.

A great wee shop is Loch Fyne Whisky Shop who get in many special editions. Great mail service , even better to visit.

http://www.lfw.co.uk/