whisky lovers

When I was through at my mates in Port Glasgow on Thursday. We were talking about whisky he hates it but I love it. Then he told me about when he deployed in 2003 on HMS Campbeltown to fight in the second gulf war the springbank distillery in Campbeltown produced a special bottling for the ships company and his bottle has been in his dads house ever since. His dad is bringing it along to the wedding as my mate is tempted to crack it open and share it amongst the men to mark his wedding day. He asked me if he should do it or not and I found myself wanting to say aye do it as its not every day you get married but also saying its bound to be worth a few quid so it's up to him. After a lengthy chat he's still undecided on what to do. Here's hoping he cracks it open.

Was at a great whisky tasting night a week ago and had a 21 yr Cask strength GlenDronach from a 1st fill sherry cask, have to say was one of the best I've had recently.

All time best has to be either the 1959 Glen Grant or better yet the 21 yr old Springbank neither of which is a cheap nip.

Islay's I like Bowmore pref the 12 or 15yr olds. The 15 year old laphroag was hugely superior to the 10 but there used to be a 17yr bottling of Ardbeg and man what a beast ir was.

Glenturret (12) is my fav Highland and Higland Park 18 yr is my fav island although it's wee brother is good too.

Speyside, Like Aberlour 10 and Balvenie DW but preferring 10 year Old McCallan fine oak these days is my choice.

Blends, Baily Nicol Jarvie is tops.

There are no bad whiskies in reality only some are better than others. ;)

From the same distillery as produces Glen Dronach comes Ben Riach. Both are fine particularly the 18 year olds.

I have 2 bottles of 18 yr old sherry cask GlenDronach that my wife gave me 20 years ago as an engagement present.

Might open one when my Eldest hits 18......... and might no. ;)

Interesting you say that. I've been trying to get into whisky for a wee while now, and the only one that hasn't made me gag has been Superstition. I love it.

This just goes to show what I always say, if you don't know much about whisky then don't pay much attention to one person saying "don't try this one, it's rank, this one's the best...". Unless you have exactly the same taste then you'll probably just go away thinking that even the 'best' whisky tastes shite.

I'm really not a fan of Jura though and the island doesn't deserve to be next to Islay. Quite nice with apple juice though. :ph34r:

Was at a great whisky tasting night a week ago and had a 21 yr Cask strength GlenDronach from a 1st fill sherry cask, have to say was one of the best I've had recently.

All time best has to be either the 1959 Glen Grant or better yet the 21 yr old Springbank neither of which is a cheap nip.

Islay's I like Bowmore pref the 12 or 15yr olds. The 15 year old laphroag was hugely superior to the 10 but there used to be a 17yr bottling of Ardbeg and man what a beast ir was.

Glenturret (12) is my fav Highland and Higland Park 18 yr is my fav island although it's wee brother is good too.

Speyside, Like Aberlour 10 and Balvenie DW but preferring 10 year Old McCallan fine oak these days is my choice.

Blends, Baily Nicol Jarvie is tops.

There are no bad whiskies in reality only some are better than others. ;)

Did the tour of the Glen Grant distillery, i got a taste of their 12 yr old i think it was and it was very pleasant indeed, highlight of the tour though was the old boy showing us round letting us know how pissed off he was that its computers running the distilling rather then people.

On a side note did the tour of the Benromach distillery the same day and it was good seeing the contrast between such a small distillery and its larger counter part.

I have 2 bottles of 18 yr old sherry cask GlenDronach that my wife gave me 20 years ago as an engagement present.

Might open one when my Eldest hits 18......... and might no. ;)

Coincidentally it was a Rovers fan that introduced me to GlenDronach. Go on drink it!

Coincidentally it was a Rovers fan that introduced me to GlenDronach. Go on drink it!

Glendronach 15's in my current Top 5. Far superior to the 18 imo.

I might just reach over to the drinks cabinet right now actually seeing as there's a bottle there...

Whyte and Mackay, nae ice, nae watter.

Shut thread, unless the whisky Gilly Gooldens wanna carry on with their pretentiousness.

So old fashioned.......

Hollyhocks and gooseberryishness......feck off.

Edited by Tryfield

Afraid I can't stand Whyte and Mackay, possibly because there's always one house on the Hogmanay first footing trail which serves it in quadrouple measures and if you finish it to be polite, it just gets filled up again.

This evening I decided to get the miniature Johnnie Walker Black Label out the way with. It's ok, quite pleasant for a blend. Going to blow the taste away afterwards though - Lagavulin 16 should do the job nicely.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Glendronach 15's in my current Top 5. Far superior to the 18 imo.

I might just reach over to the drinks cabinet right now actually seeing as there's a bottle there...

I would probably go 12 yr>18yr>15yr, although the front two change (perhaps because I can't afford the 18 year old very often :lol: ).

The 15 year old is lovely, but find I have to be "in the mood" for the sherry cask effort. Theres a 21 year old in the bottle shop in Perth for around £70, which unfortunately I can't reall justify splashing out on.

I've only tried a handful of whiskies but found most of them pretty enjoyable. Looking to get more into it, is this whisky bible worth a read?

Its really just a list of percentage scores and tasting notes for whisky.

Almost every whisky is covered, from Scottish malts & blends to Japanese and even Swedish malts and blends and Irish Pot still whiskey to American Bourbon and Rye.

It is really just one man's (Jim Murray) opinion on them all. I have the 2010 edition and I often have a glance at it and see if his limited tasting notes agree with my opinion when I am trying a new whisky. Also if you were considering buying an expensive bottle you can see what he has said about it before you buy.

However as I say it is one man's opinion and other sources might tell you something completely different. How he can score 3,850 whiskies accurately is anybody's guess. That said its worth a glance but I wont be updating my 2010 edition any time soon. Though I did notice you can get a Smartphone APP of his bible which would be quite handy in the whisky pubs.

Edit: I think the app costs £12-99 though.

Edited by Cammy35

I'm quite fancying getting a bottle of whisky for once my exams are done but have no idea about how much I should be spending for something half decent. How much should I spending for something I should be able to enjoy without adding water or ice?