whisky lovers

I just don't like whisky enough to have any great knowledge of them. In general the blended ones I've tasted have been cheap ones passed round at a party or while camping and they've been absolutely howfing. Now if you wish to talk about red wine, I can give you 20 minutes chat no problems. Talk whisky and I just shrug my shoulders after 30 seconds.

Wine lover's topic for this pish.. On the ice/water question, never either with malt but I do ask for ice with pub measures of blended just to bulk it out and make it last longer..

I have Old Pultney 12yo in the cupboard, its a good dram. I can trump you though I got mine in Asda before Christmas for £20. Actually prefer it to MacAllan 10yo. Dont think MacAllan is all its cracked up to be. Your right about OP, it has a kick to it, it has a potent flavour. Still prefer my Islay's though, unfortunately Lagavulin and Ardbeg are around double the price. Always begs the question - Is it really worth paying the extra money? I now tend to just buy the supermarket special offers as much as I love Ardbeg, even the 10yo set me back £46 last time I bought it.

It's always hard telling the value for money, I tend to have a good bottle I get for Christmas in the region of £60 that I make last for as long as I can, ideally for the whole year. I then always have a normal bottle for random whisky moments, the normal one I never spend more than £25 on and its always whatever is reduced by about a tenner to get in that price bracket.

The expensive ones are normally nicer but I can't justify spending that sort of money on a regular basis and the 'cheaper one' is always still good shit.

I'm wondering if by the time this Old Putney is done it'll move me more towards Islay maltsx right now I don't buy them.

I am quite partial to Auchentoshan. It was the first whisky that I was bought because it does not melt your tastebuds, as do most spirits if you are not used to them. So I like the Auchentoshan classic. I have a great bottle of Auchentoshan 3 wood, its matured in 3 different casks and gives it a real nice woody taste. Lovely. Others I am very keen on are Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Both are rather peaty/smoky. I have heard ardberg tastes quite nice but I have yet to try it. Jura 10yr is ok but Jura 16 tastes lovely. Has anyone ever ordered some off this place? The seem quite good.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

What about these weird malts that distilleries are putting out now, like the ones that use claret barrels that make the whisky go dark red. Any good or just shite for tourists?

It may be that they're targeting Asian markets. The Chinese add whisky to lots of water and ice and like to be able to still see the product.

Black Label is pretty decent, in fact I'm quite partial to Grouse. I avoid Chivas Regal though, don't see what all the fuss is about.

Agreed I always drink plenty water with my whisky, just not in the whisky itself.

Yep, grouse is my normal poison of choice. If you like it, drink it and damn everyone else....

I am quite partial to Auchentoshan. It was the first whisky that I was bought because it does not melt your tastebuds, as do most spirits if you are not used to them. So I like the Auchentoshan classic. I have a great bottle of Auchentoshan 3 wood, its matured in 3 different casks and gives it a real nice woody taste. Lovely. Others I am very keen on are Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Both are rather peaty/smoky. I have heard ardberg tastes quite nice but I have yet to try it. Jura 10yr is ok but Jura 16 tastes lovely. Has anyone ever ordered some off this place? The seem quite good.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

i buy whisky from the whisky exchange, i find them on of the better priced internet retailers, they have a really good range. as a matter of fact i bought this http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16348.aspx only a couple of weeks ago from them. quick delivery too

i forgot i created this thread, to busy talking pish in other threads i supposebiggrin.gif. anyway has anyone tried the arran malt? i have never tried arran whisky but was thinking about getting a couple of bottles, in the main they are reasonably priced. was looking for something different

http://www.arranwhisky.com/ShopHome/ a wee link to their website for anyone interested

The Whisky Exchange website looks quite good. I think I'll buy a few bottles from there, good prices. I do wonder how good a £600 bottle is though, what's the most someone on here has paid for a bottle?

The Whisky Exchange website looks quite good. I think I'll buy a few bottles from there, good prices. I do wonder how good a £600 bottle is though, what's the most someone on here has paid for a bottle?

The Whisky Exchange website is very good. Just remember there is a delivery charge to go on top of your order, but even with that it is often cheaper than other sites or shops.

I think the most I have ever paid for a Malt was about £70 for a 23 yo Highland Park I bought for my Dad's 65th birthday in the year 2000.

For myself I don't think I have ever spent more than £40-45 per bottle on the like of Ardbeg 10 yo, Lagavulin 16 yo and Glenlivet 18 yo. All good whiskies.

The Whisky Exchange website is very good. Just remember there is a delivery charge to go on top of your order, but even with that it is often cheaper than other sites or shops.

I think the most I have ever paid for a Malt was about £70 for a 23 yo Highland Park I bought for my Dad's 65th birthday in the year 2000.

For myself I don't think I have ever spent more than £40-45 per bottle on the like of Ardbeg 10 yo, Lagavulin 16 yo and Glenlivet 18 yo. All good whiskies.

indeed you are right cammy me old son, there is a delivery charge, i forgot to say that, i think i have never been above a fiver for delivery,

i only ever get the dear stuff if i am getting some for my birthday or some special occasion, the wife gives me £100 for my birthdays so that tends to go on whisky. for the 30th last year she got me a bottle of Glenlivet 21yo archive, it was a bit dearer but i'm worth itlaugh.gif

yeh the whisky's you mention are all the types that i would buy, never tried the 23yo highland park right enough. but i generally like highland park anyway so i'll just presume that i like it in any case

I was thinking of getting my Dad the Shackelton whisky for his xmas. There was a good documentary about it on nat geo a few months back. But it's a blended whisky. Blugh, I hate blended whiskys.

I'm heading to the Ayr Whisky Festival on the 9th June. £20 a ticket but you get loads of vouchers for various whiskys including some going for several hundred pounds a bottle.

Was a really good day last year great value for money and a chance to try a variety of Whiskys that you wouldn't normally have the chance to.

I'm heading to the Ayr Whisky Festival on the 9th June. £20 a ticket but you get loads of vouchers for various whiskys including some going for several hundred pounds a bottle.

Was a really good day last year great value for money and a chance to try a variety of Whiskys that you wouldn't normally have the chance to.

That could be me or my dads birthday sorted then.

I'm thinking of buying the Cragganmore 14 year old, I've tried the 12 year old one and quite enjoyed that or the Oban 1995. One of those two and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old I think. That should do me to the New Year.

That could be me or my dads birthday sorted then.

I'm thinking of buying the Cragganmore 14 year old, I've tried the 12 year old one and quite enjoyed that or the Oban 1995. One of those two and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old I think. That should do me to the New Year.

Give it a go for your 20 quid you get some tokens for whisky at under £50 a bottle and a couple for whisky over £50. Not all the stall holders take the tokens and fill your glass for free. I had about a dozen halfs and came back with some tokens. You also get a nice tasting glass to keep.

while we are on the subject of expensive whisky. i was in the whisky shop in glasgow earlier on in the year and was shooting the breeze talking to the guy that works there and he told me that they sourced and sold 2 bottles of malt to a customer, didn't say where. the price of the two bottles combined was round about 25 grand. a security company were delivering it to the address. mental eh, most folk are struggling at the moment with money and someone is spending that on drink, oh well if you can afford it....

Recently (at Christmas) I got a bottle of Jura Superstition. It is without doubt the worst single malt I have ever tasted. I also avoid Glenlivet and Bushmills.

Interesting you say that. I've been trying to get into whisky for a wee while now, and the only one that hasn't made me gag has been Superstition. I love it.

Laphroaig for me is the worst i have ever tasted, i found it was like putting a spot of water in an ash tray and sipping away at it.

I found this as well. I know bugger all about whisky really but I thought this one was vile. But it's what I do appreciate about it the whole whisky culture, everyone is different with their favourite dram and I find people accept if others don't like their own favourite. I will admit, I'm trying so hard to like some of these malts but it just isn't happening with most of them. They have all been straight, with no water or ice. My flatmate (very much a connasseur) doesn't recommend it with ice as it will take away the flavour, but he just drinks it straight and doesn't bat an eyelid. Would there be anything wrong with doing this? Bear in mind I'm 20 and I'm fully aware my pallet hasn't quite developed yet!

May I just say this is a far cry from drinking Grants down the park in my teenage years. I'm surprised it hasn't put me off whisky for life.

Recently (at Christmas) I got a bottle of Jura Superstition. It is without doubt the worst single malt I have ever tasted. I also avoid Glenlivet and Bushmills.

Edit: Should say Glenfiddich.

As for Superstition the taste is all wrong for me. It may be easier to drink but there is something wrong with the malt taste. However I remember reading in Jim Murray's 'whisky bible' at the time that there were two bottlings of Superstition an older one at 45% ABV and a newer one at 43% ABV. He reckoned it had gone way downhill. Maybe the one you are drinking is the better bottling.

Jura Superstition 45% Alcohol - Score 86% "Distinctive to the point of being almost unique"

Jura Superstition 43% Alcohol - Score 75% "Then this, THIS......A dead end whisky"

Interesting you say that. I've been trying to get into whisky for a wee while now, and the only one that hasn't made me gag has been Superstition. I love it.

I found this as well. I know bugger all about whisky really but I thought this one was vile. But it's what I do appreciate about it the whole whisky culture, everyone is different with their favourite dram and I find people accept if others don't like their own favourite. I will admit, I'm trying so hard to like some of these malts but it just isn't happening with most of them. They have all been straight, with no water or ice. My flatmate (very much a connasseur) doesn't recommend it with ice as it will take away the flavour, but he just drinks it straight and doesn't bat an eyelid. Would there be anything wrong with doing this? Bear in mind I'm 20 and I'm fully aware my pallet hasn't quite developed yet!

May I just say this is a far cry from drinking Grants down the park in my teenage years. I'm surprised it hasn't put me off whisky for life.

It's all about what you like, I used to always drink neat but now almost always wijth ice. If you find it's burning the back of your throat or is too harsh when you sip it straight add a couple of cubes. Ice or water doesn't take away the flavour, it just alters it slightly. There are also no extra man points to be gained from drinking it neat.

Islay is my favourite region with Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Lagavulin and Bowmore predominantly. I also enjoy other drams, mainly from Speyside but some others as well. Recently tried 'Amrut Indian Peated Malt' and it was excellent.

Isn't it just? One of the most disappointing bottles I've ever bought, especially as I got is as a sneaky week thing for the side. Horrid.

In terms of disappointments, I had a Highland Park which tasted completely meh to me, but I've heard people swear it's the finest thing known to humankind.

Laphroaig is my personal favourite. Very peaty and strong nose. Warms the cockles.

I'm a fan of Laphroaig, although I do find it patchy. Occasionally I've run into a bottle which hasn't been quite "all there".

Leapfrog, Lagavulin and Ardbeg are all real marmite whiskys.

Tell you what though, I had a glass of The Singleton 15year old the other day - now that was an easy drinking but complicated beauty of a malt. YEsh it wash.A tell ye.

Singleton's a damn fine drink. Ardbeg is so peaty it's almost undrinkable, and I tend to like the peaty ones. Marmite whisky indeed. I might need to force myself to learn to like it.

On the worst whisky subject, there's a hands-down winner for this regardless of your taste and the award goes to the Glen Breton (thankfully Canada's only malt whisky). Seriously, don't even bother wasting your money trying it. If you're going to do that, try the Japanese malts - they're usually damn good. Quite like the Mackmyra (mac-mee-ra) from Sweden too.

Funny how they try and make these things sound as Scottish as possible. Think Glen Breton got a slap on the wrists a while back over making themselves sound deceptively Scottish but no idea what came of it. Difficult to stop a place in Nova Scotia of all places sounding Scottish I guess.

Great shout on the Japanese whiskies. I wish they were more readily available here. They're excellent, and the Yamazki range is glorious.

Edited by Savage Henry