whisky lovers

You know, I actually love grouse. It's an easy to drink whisky, dirt cheap and everyone serves it if I'm out on a night out.

And if it was good enough for princess Margaret....

Me too. Malts are a different drink, it's daft to compare them. And after 3 or 4 large ones you could be drinking after shave anyway, you probably wouldn't notice the difference... blink.gif

I'm having a large Glenfiddich 18 when I get in as a tribute to this thread.

What's peoples take on ice/water/neat? 2 cubes for me.

So far there are only two drams which I prefer water with and it's two or three drips from the tap. I'm the sort of guy that eats marmite from the jar though. I like to taste what I'm having.

bunnahabhain is my favourite recently taking over balblair. someone mentioned cask flavouring. try quinta ruban from glenmorangie phenomenal aprs sinner malt yon. Investments is a strange one as well. my maw bought me a commemorative burns whisky for stashing away for investment purpses....rattled

Me too. Malts are a different drink, it's daft to compare them. And after 3 or 4 large ones you could be drinking after shave anyway, you probably wouldn't notice the difference... blink.gif

quite right everyone will have different pallets too so that will impact on taste

someone mention Ardbeg, you can buy a 4 and a half litre of the 10 yo iv'e put a picture of this goliath here, size of it!!!!

post-38495-0-83712900-1333039186_thumb.j

have you tried the Dalmore Cigar malt, iv'e never tasted a malt quite like it, very different to anything iv'e ever tried. and they do the rivers collection now too, they are meant to be good.

Yeah, I knew there was one I left out. Haven't seen it in a while but a lovely dram. Haven't tried any of the rivers collection though. All this chat has made me decide to go on the tour one of these weekends, I know a few of the guides and shockingly I've never been (despite the fact I could comfortably walk home from it". Free tour + free dram = good day for Spain.

On the worst whisky subject, there's a hands-down winner for this regardless of your taste and the award goes to the Glen Breton (thankfully Canada's only malt whisky). Seriously, don't even bother wasting your money trying it. If you're going to do that, try the Japanese malts - they're usually damn good. Quite like the Mackmyra (mac-mee-ra) from Sweden too.

Funny how they try and make these things sound as Scottish as possible. Think Glen Breton got a slap on the wrists a while back over making themselves sound deceptively Scottish but no idea what came of it. Difficult to stop a place in Nova Scotia of all places sounding Scottish I guess.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Do the experts not say you should put in a couple of ice cubes or a drop of water to release all the flavours and appreciate it properly?

I used to drink my malt news but one night the host kept forgetting and putting ice in mine as well as everyone else's, wound up preferring it.

Do the experts not say you should put in a couple of ice cubes or a drop of water to release all the flavours and appreciate it properly?

I used to drink my malt news but one night the host kept forgetting and putting ice in mine as well as everyone else's, wound up preferring it.

i think that it is down to preference to be honest, the experts are probably right but i don't like ice or water in whisky.

• 1 month later...

i think that it is down to preference to be honest, the experts are probably right but i don't like ice or water in whisky.

It is down to personal choice. With these experts like Jim Murray and Michael Jackson (ee-hee) creating their own whisky bibles / guides, it’s all down to their personal preference but people treat it as de-facto. If they happen to say Fettercairn 10 is their favourite, bottle prices soar.

There are some drams which I quite like with a little bit of water (no more than a few drops) but some like Laphroaig just tastes absolutely vile to me despite loving it neat. Those that seriously water down cask strength bottlings should be forced to do community service though.

I have Old Pultney 12yo in the cupboard, its a good dram. I can trump you though I got mine in Asda before Christmas for £20. Actually prefer it to MacAllan 10yo. Dont think MacAllan is all its cracked up to be. Your right about OP, it has a kick to it, it has a potent flavour. Still prefer my Islay's though, unfortunately Lagavulin and Ardbeg are around double the price. Always begs the question - Is it really worth paying the extra money? I now tend to just buy the supermarket special offers as much as I love Ardbeg, even the 10yo set me back £46 last time I bought it.

I don't think you should put ice in it as once it has chilled the flavour will be less. However a few drops of water is recommended. There is a guy on you tube, I think he calls himself Dr Whisky, he sits with a bowl of water and a small teaspoon. Pours a large dram and adds water with the tsp just one usually. His view, and I agree, is that it depends on the whisky. A more robust offering like Lagavulin or Old Pulteney can take a little water whereas some of the lighter drams can be killed by water.

As for Laphroaig the first time I bought a bottle I loved it, the second time I hated it, I couldnt really understand why. Im just thinking I may have drank the first one neat and added water the second time. Thanks to Hedgecutter for the advice, I will bear that in mind.

As for Laphroaig the first time I bought a bottle I loved it, the second time I hated it, I couldnt really understand why. Im just thinking I may have drank the first one neat and added water the second time. Thanks to Hedgecutter for the advice, I will bear that in mind.

When I first started getting into whisky, I thought I hated Laphroaig for a good couple of years all because a barman had put an ice-cube in it. Even if you take it out immediately, it's still game over. You should never, ever serve someone a dram with ice unless they've asked for it that way. There's been a couple of times I've had to tell the barman to take it back and that I'm not paying for it. Bit of a dickish thing I know but I'm not spending a few quid on something I'm not going to like. Although not a 'whisky', Maker's Mark was the most recent case of this. It's just pish watered down even slightly.

Dont think MacAllan is all its cracked up to be.

Really don't like the standard 10yo or the fine oak varieties as they're far too sickly for me. The cask strength however is dynamite.

I got a bottle of fine oak from work once and it just sat in my drinking cabinet for ages. In the end I decided to give it to mates but to which ones? I had who fellow whisky lovers who started bidding for it but I wasn't going to profiteer from friends so I set an arm-wrestle for them which turned out to be about 10 mins long. You'll probably never see such determination to win a free bottle.

Edited by Hedgecutter

My first taste of whisky was when I was about 7 and a friend and I took a hipflask from a car and not knowing what it was drank from it. Naturally it was foul and has put me off all the brown liquor (cognac, brandy, whiskey, etc). If I am going to drink some then it has to be a single malt, all the blended whiskeys taste rank, and it has to have a fairly light taste. I don't mind sipping the odd island malt but it really has to be one glass and no more.

I did work in the bar of the Inverness Thistle, the big hotel at the round-a-bout as you come into the town from the A9/A96 and I had to learn all the different whiskies for the tourists. I've forgotten most of them, but I was told to always suggest a little ice or water as it brings out the flavour and helps the body process the alcohol.

All the blended whiskeys taste rank

I thought the same but I've taken a liking to Chivas Regal 12 and Black Bottle after they've been given as presents. Some nights I go for them over the malts as they're just a bit lighter and whisky's a total mood thing for me. I've got a stash of about 10 just now (half unopended, otherwise the angels will get their share unless I turn alcoholic) spread pretty much across the Islay / Speyside / Aberdeenshire / Highland areas. I started off only liking Islay drams but I've spread out a bit since then.

I thought the same but I've taken a liking to Chivas Regal 12 and Black Bottle after they've been given as presents. Some nights I go for them over the malts as they're just a bit lighter and whisky's a total mood thing for me. I've got a stash of about 10 just now (half unopended, otherwise the angels will get their share unless I turn alcoholic) spread pretty much across the Islay / Speyside / Aberdeenshire / Highland areas. I started off only liking Islay drams but I've spread out a bit since then.

I just don't like whisky enough to have any great knowledge of them. In general the blended ones I've tasted have been cheap ones passed round at a party or while camping and they've been absolutely howfing. Now if you wish to talk about red wine, I can give you 20 minutes chat no problems. Talk whisky and I just shrug my shoulders after 30 seconds.

My first taste of whisky was when I was about 7 and a friend and I took a hipflask from a car and not knowing what it was drank from it. Naturally it was foul and has put me off all the brown liquor (cognac, brandy, whiskey, etc). If I am going to drink some then it has to be a single malt, all the blended whiskeys taste rank, and it has to have a fairly light taste. I don't mind sipping the odd island malt but it really has to be one glass and no more.

I did work in the bar of the Inverness Thistle, the big hotel at the round-a-bout as you come into the town from the A9/A96 and I had to learn all the different whiskies for the tourists. I've forgotten most of them, but I was told to always suggest a little ice or water as it brings out the flavour and helps the body process the alcohol.

Black Label is pretty decent, in fact I'm quite partial to Grouse. I avoid Chivas Regal though, don't see what all the fuss is about.

Agreed I always drink plenty water with my whisky, just not in the whisky itself.