whisky lovers

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

My bottle of GL is still uncorked so may have to wait as opening them gives me the fear and two in one night wasn't going to happen.

I do this alot btw. 

I tend to hold onto above average bottles for no real reason and after a year or so I'm opening them wondering why I'd built them up so much. 

Nowadays I'll try and crack most stuff straight away, as long as I'm not going beyond 10 open bottles on the shelf. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 12:58, V.Aye.R said:

I do this alot btw. 

I tend to hold onto above average bottles for no real reason and after a year or so I'm opening them wondering why I'd built them up so much. 

Nowadays I'll try and crack most stuff straight away, as long as I'm not going beyond 10 open bottles on the shelf. 

That's a good rule to have. Going to try to follow that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Went into A&R Rattray whisky shop in Kirkoswald at the weekend. Loads of interesting stuff to see and try. Took a "Cask Spey 12" in the end which the fella assured me is BenRinnes. Scoop at 42 notes. Recommend going in if you're ever down that way.

35 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Went into A&R Rattray whisky shop in Kirkoswald at the weekend. Loads of interesting stuff to see and try. Took a "Cask Spey 12" in the end which the fella assured me is BenRinnes. Scoop at 42 notes. Recommend going in if you're ever down that way.

The "cask x" stuff is Rattrays own brand. 

Their orkney 18yo is highland park at £65-70

37 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Got the old boy a bottle of the Flora & Fauna series Benrinnes - which I think might be the only official Diageo bottling - off the Whisky Exchange for 50 if that’s relevant to your interests mate. He’s been thoroughly enjoying it. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Got the old boy a bottle of the Flora & Fauna series Benrinnes - which I think might be the only official Diageo bottling - off the Whisky Exchange for 50 if that’s relevant to your interests mate. He’s been thoroughly enjoying it. 

My brother in laws family have a connection to Benrinnes, we all got a bottle of 15yo on the wedding day. A cracking dram. 

Just now, V.Aye.R said:

My brother in laws family have a connection to Benrinnes, we all got a bottle of 15yo on the wedding day. A cracking dram. 

He better not have tanned it by the next time I'm in Scotland. Made me hide the end of a bottle of Knockando 21 for him coming over earlier in the year. 

8 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

The "cask x" stuff is Rattrays own brand. 

Their orkney 18yo is highland park at £65-70

Correction to earlier post, it's Cask Speyside 12. What do you mean own brand? Do they have a distillery of their own?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2023 at 06:40, jimbaxters said:

Correction to earlier post, it's Cask Speyside 12. What do you mean own brand? Do they have a distillery of their own?

Its just their brand, been an indy bottler since selling off the distilleries to Beam Suntory. 

Would guess the Cask Islay is Bowmore. 

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

On the to do list. 

Was briefly on the island on the way back from Jura. A lovely place. 

I'm debating whether to get the ferry and cycle over to Jura to the distillery and do one of the paps. Not a massive fan of Jura whisky but still want to tick it off the distillery list.