whisky lovers

20 hours ago, beefybake said:

My experience of whisky is pretty much limited to .... Teachers, Cutty Sark... long ago. and as a student .. a concoction called Clan Dew.

I mostly recall my throat burning as an aftertaste.

However, pre Christmas I was looking for ideas for presents for my sister and brother-in-law.  I'd had an idea for whisky marmalade,

but in searching around, online, found this...

https://www.cococaramel.co.uk/

They're chocolates with single malts inside.  I bought some for them, and a small pack for me.

They tasted great.

The result was that I quite fancy having a go at some single malt on it's own.

Would welcome a pointer towards something decent, not outrageously expensive, that a beginner would appreciate.

Bargain basement option would be Glen Moray, which is almost always on sale in supermarkets for £20-22 or so.  It's a perfectly decent Speyside (light, heathery, no peat). For a bit more, you can usually get a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich - both slightly more complex Speysides.  I agree with the above tips of Bunnahabhain (Islay but not peaty) and Dalwhinnie (highland, quite a sweet dram) which will usually set you back around £30.  Old Pulteney from Wick is another great option as it's on sale just now online and in shops for mid-£20s.  It's quite complex and sea-sidey with a hint of salt (much better than I have just made it sound).

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

Watched a recent program that showed the Lindores Abbey Distillery, made me wonder how their single malt is, since it’s not available round here.

I've got their inaugural bottle on the shelf and its about 1/3 down. Its unlikely to be reached for too soon in truth. 

They're dressing it up with STR casks etc so in all honesty who knows what the spirits like! 

They had a spirit drink out in advance of turning 3yo which was a decent mixer. 

Economic necessity means new distilleries getting stuff out at 3 years old.

In the old days the bulk of the heavy lifting would be done by supplying whisky to blend and then you could put out some more when ready but single malt is where its at now.

The only new one I really thought was brilliant from day one was Ardnamurchan.

I note Harris are resisting the urge to punt out 3 yo spirit which they can afford to do given the popularity of their gin. Maybe it's truly awful or maybe they are going to launch it with something really special but I remember being excited by their new make spirit so hopefully the latter. 

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Economic necessity means new distilleries getting stuff out at 3 years old.

In the old days the bulk of the heavy lifting would be done by supplying whisky to blend and then you could put out some more when ready but single malt is where its at now.

The only new one I really thought was brilliant from day one was Ardnamurchan.

I note Harris are resisting the urge to punt out 3 yo spirit which they can afford to do given the popularity of their gin. Maybe it's truly awful or maybe they are going to launch it with something really special but I remember being excited by their new make spirit so hopefully the latter. 

Torabhaig gets the thumbs up from me at 3yo, really excited what that distillery will be putting out at 10yo+

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jan/25/scotland-whisky-industry-bust-boom-exciting-new-distilleries

"There is, perhaps, no greater symbol of whisky’s bounce-back than Johnnie Walker Princes Street – not a distillery but an “experience” housed across eight floors of a magnificent art deco building on Scotland’s main shopping street. In 2018, Diageo – scotch’s biggest player – invested a whopping £185m in its whisky distilleries, which will number 30 when Port Ellen on Islay reopens later this year. The vast majority was poured into this building which, since opening in September 2021, has welcomed 350,000 people from 112 countries through its doors. On the “immersive journey of flavour” tour I join, my group includes tourists from China, Japan, the Netherlands, Canada and Singapore."

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Theres a few Kilkerran and Longrow out there when I checked this morning anyone is looking eg Whisky exchange, Roberts etc

Longrow peated is mostly overlooked which is telling. 

It normally stays on the shelf along with the Campbeltown Loch which tells you the motivations of the crowds of people hoovering up the rest. 

On 11/02/2023 at 12:58, V.Aye.R said:

Springbank release week - anyone get lucky? 

Managed to bag a Kilkerran 8yo Sherry

Nice one.

No such joy for me, did put my hat in the ring for Springbank 25 Year Old. Probably just as well I wasn't lucky. Opened a Longrow peated last night to compensate, lovely stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.34e8b07629883d53e431c1c0952299ac.png

Cracked a bottle of this tonight. Snagged it after seeing a whisky vlogger ranking it as his top whisky of 2022. Was a bit surprised to hear him say it as I got the basic Cutty Sark a while ago and it was cheap rubbish. This one however is really good. 50% so packs a punch. Tried it alongside Monkey Shoulder and preferred this one. Acid test will be against my favourite blend so far, Johnnie Walker Green Label but that's a blended malt so maybe unfair. My bottle of GL is still uncorked so may have to wait as opening them gives me the fear and two in one night wasn't going to happen.