whisky lovers

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Probably. My old boy bought a bottle of something of the ilk in Miami because it was $20 and he’d never heard of it before. I think we eventually tracked it back to being Tomintoul at one stage but likely there’s bulk whisky being made for pickup and rebranding. Same as US ‘craft bourbon’ - a high percentage of that is industrial stuff from Indiana and Michigan and then chucked in a barrel in city X so it can be marked as ‘Cincinnati bourbon’ or whatever. There’s a ton of them here.

https://ibwsshow.com/en/blog/insights-64/bulk-bourbon-suppliers-in-usa-227.htm

Here’s an example, basically the cheapest single malt on the aisle…I think it was $29.99…anything below that is blended.

image.thumb.png.0c871027bc23e5b77f5bcd999693c38c.png

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Here’s an example, basically the cheapest single malt on the aisle…I think it was $29.99…anything below that is blended.

That one’s a legit distillery making in-house stuff. And not a bad deal, whiskyexhchange has it at £31.25 in Blighty. It’s owned by the same guys who own Ancnoc.

http://www.interbevgroup.com/brands.php

Could be just most (or all) of it goes for export, same way as Diageo targets Buchanan’s at Spain and Mexico. They’re apparently trying to saturate Colombia with Old Parr now due to the success they’ve had with Buchanan’s. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That one’s a legit distillery making in-house stuff. And not a bad deal, whiskyexhchange has it at £31.25 in Blighty. It’s owned by the same guys who own Ancnoc.

http://www.interbevgroup.com/brands.php

Could be just most (or all) of it goes for export, same way as Diageo targets Buchanan’s at Spain and Mexico. They’re apparently trying to saturate Colombia with Old Parr now due to the success they’ve had with Buchanan’s. 

Interesting, I’ll try to spot some others.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Interesting, I’ll try to spot some others.

This might be relevant to your interests mate - 

3 of those I’ve seen in Scotland, rest could all be export only. For ref, Glen Kirk was the one the old man bought. It wasn’t good. It wasn’t dreadful, to be fair to it, but for $20, I’d have rather gotten a bottle of Evan Williams white label and $6 change. 

21 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

3 of those I’ve seen in Scotland, rest could all be export only. For ref, Glen Kirk was the one the old man bought. It wasn’t good. It wasn’t dreadful, to be fair to it, but for $20, I’d have rather gotten a bottle of Evan Williams white label and $6 change. 

Pretty sure at least half that cat piss is on the shelves here. Blended is popular because you can get it “aged” but cheap…and it tastes of it. Christ, Cutty Sark I haven’t seen in a few decades…used to buy it for a cheap drunk from the supermarket in Louisiana.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Pretty sure at least half that cat piss is on the shelves here. Blended is popular because you can get it “aged” but cheap…and it tastes of it. Christ, Cutty Sark I haven’t seen in a few decades…used to buy it for a cheap drunk from the supermarket in Louisiana.

You can still get Cutty Sark in Chicago, but again it’s around the $20 mark, so you wouldn’t. 

On 05/01/2023 at 12:27, carpetmonster said:

Here’s a couple of truly scary options locally…I’m simply not willing to take one for the team on these though…

$16.99

image.thumb.jpeg.6554636c8b40fe9c61ba4994d87b53ec.jpeg

and $10.99

image.thumb.jpeg.8b298f0fdfbeb2d1550164dedeb46ce5.jpeg

On 05/01/2023 at 18:27, carpetmonster said:

Not sure why Teachers and White Horse are in there? Both perfectly acceptable as blendeds go.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Not sure why Teachers and White Horse are in there? Both perfectly acceptable as blendeds go.

Agreed, but American reviewer/perspective. I’d also sling Black Bottle into the ‘cheap but fine’ category but it doesn’t make it over here at all. I think White Horse might be stretching it at $32 a handle per the review - at that point you’re playing with some decent bourbons like Four Roses or Dickel 8 for a bottle and only a few bucks shy of Glenmorangie 10. 

7 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Label 5 is one of the best selling blended scotch brands on the planet.

Which says nothing of the quality, but noted. However, I don’t understand the passion some folks have for blends over most single malts.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Which says nothing of the quality, but noted. However, I don’t understand the passion some folks have for blends over most single malts.

Single malts have a relatively short history compared to blends tbf. The backbone of the industry so I'll never knock it. 

I suppose it's no different to most people buying Hovis instead of Artisan Sourdough. 

13 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Single malts have a relatively short history compared to blends tbf. The backbone of the industry so I'll never knock it. 

I suppose it's no different to most people buying Hovis instead of Artisan Sourdough. 

That is a really fair point, my apologies.

P.S. I despise Hovis for different reasons…

40 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Got a late Christmas present of Angel's Envy bourbon. Not cracked yet but the bottle is a thing of beauty. In all honesty, the Americans generally have far more innovative bottle designs than our whisky.

Only tried the rye, not the port finished one.

Really liked it, although it was pretty sweet so won't be for everyone.

On 05/01/2023 at 18:09, TxRover said:

I like Speyburn. My late father-in-law worked there for years. The distillery is in Rothes. I believe the majority of it is exported to the US so you only really see it over here in bars with a large selection.

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo Jeremy said:

I like Speyburn. My late father-in-law worked there for years. The distillery is in Rothes. I believe the majority of it is exported to the US so you only really see it over here in bars with a large selection.

Looks like we get the 10 and a NAS malt called Bradan Orach in the States, although the latter seems to be younger and reviews less favorable. $25 for the BO so the 10 at $30 looks the better bet. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Looks like we get the 10 and a NAS malt called Bradan Orach in the States, although the latter seems to be younger and reviews less favorable. $25 for the BO so the 10 at $30 looks the better bet. 

Both are decent and your prices are good!