whisky lovers

On 07/11/2022 at 22:12, V.Aye.R said:

Thought I'd give you the heads up for Thursday 10th Nov at Lidl. 

Another giveaway late teen single malt for £40 goes on sale.

Informed its Caol Ila again (as per the 18yo they did last year). 

Move fast 🥃

Screenshot_20221106_221706.jpg

Picked one up today! Plenty left - possible re-stock?

On 25/11/2022 at 19:15, V.Aye.R said:

Ardbeg 3 x 20cl pack is £32 on Amazon. 

Wee Beastie, An Oa and 10yo.

Tried them all but will be fun to have them all side by side. 

Trying them all together, its surprising just how superior the 10yo is here. I'd actually say the 5yo is preferable to the An Oa too. 

Actually rated the An Oa too, so all decent drams with one clear winner. 

Wondering aloud... Is there better value to be had amongst the independent bottlers? Aged distillery bottlings are getting stupid, as has been spoken about on here, and most of their NAS stuff is shite.

Independent stuff isn't a market I have really explored and would be unsire how to sniff out quality.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Wondering aloud... Is there better value to be had amongst the independent bottlers? Aged distillery bottlings are getting stupid, as has been spoken about on here, and most of their NAS stuff is shite.

Independent stuff isn't a market I have really explored and would be unsire how to sniff out quality.

Its very much try before you buy imo. Some of the longstanding bottlers you can maybe buy blind but you'll get your fingers burnt if you don't know your stuff. 

Gordon & Macphail are a good place to start. 

After that there's James Eadie, North Star, Cadenheads, Whisky Broker, Signatory. 

Edit to say - sadly I think much of the value has gone, maybe try on auction... I got a 15yo Fettercairn for £40 and its tremendous, £65 RRP 

Edited by V.Aye.R

Port Ellen distillery is coming along.

Just think, in only 10-12 years from now there might finally be a Port Ellen on the market that I can buy without remortgaging.

There is also a rum distillery directly behind it which has newly opened since my last visit. Not sure how the other two “under construction” distilleries are coming along but I’ll hazard a guess that the one out by Bowmore isn’t.

376c23de52192bfef24636194e043d74.jpg

On 29/11/2022 at 18:48, Bairnardo said:

Coincidently todays tweet from Royal Mile Whisky is about independents with a link to a number of bottles, if nothing else a read for you.

Click

Not really. 

I was a member of a wee club with some industry insiders, collectors, auctioneers etc anything that's decent they are ITK about months in advance.

I've seen Berry Bros, Thompson Bros and G&Ms go in 15 minutes.

If anything the independents are worse as they can't afford bottles on shelves.

Your best bet with the indepdents is to find a few distilleries you like that are reasonably unfashionable.

5 years ago nobody gave a shit about Clynelish, now it's the new Springbank.

If you like Blair Atholl, and I do, there's always independent bottles to be had. Same with Caol Ila, Mannochmore, Glen Grant for me.

The best thing about SMWS is you can try out lots of different distilleries and find stuff you like. Not cheap drams bit cheaper than buying bottle 

If you go to Queen St you don't have to be a member to drink on ground floor

Having  a drink of this one just now.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/186890/ben-nevis-2012-dt

Decent prices from them. Worth a try. 

12 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Cracked it tonight. A lot going on in the glass here. 

An absolute steal at £19, you can see why its the no. 1 bourbon in the US. 

Agreed, it’s only the finish that’s it’s weakest spot imo,  I would pick it over a lot more expensive ones, brilliant value.

If you haven’t tried Rare Breed it takes it a stage further in quality, doubling the price, but worth it and still value for the quality of it.