whisky lovers

Certainly value to be had with Tamnavuin at 22 or Talisker 10 at 28. Its not very exciting though.

The mid price whisky market is dire right now. You basically have supermarket shelf filler and then the next level is 120 quid or one off releases sold out in minutes.

All the good shit that was around 75-100 2  years ago is now 3 times the price.

Orchard House for £32.29 is a steal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compass-Box-Orchard-House-70cl/dp/B09DTP1PF8/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1669364176&refinements=p_89:Compass+Box&s=alcohol&sr=1-3&tag=readytogo

I'd grab a Clynelish 14 for under £40, it's going to be joining the crazy Diageo prices in the sky soon as well.

Edited by Peedzy

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Oban 14 on a "Black Friday Deal" for over 60 quid emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Agree with the Clynelish shout. A great dram and much better value than that Oban.

Mental. 

I've barely bought any whisky in the last year which is a departure from my usual habits. Just being totally priced out of it. 

Just now, GiGi said:

Mental. 

I've barely bought any whisky in the last year which is a departure from my usual habits. Just being totally priced out of it. 

Aye, it's not even that it's, say 40 quid for a bottle of something, it's just that what you are getting for your 40 quid has changed dramatically for the worse. More value than cost for me and I guess others too. 

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Wild Turkey 101 at 22 quid, great product at that price for a 50% proof, always does well in blind tastings.

And Diplomatico Reserva at £36.50 is decent.

Huge endorsement for this. Probably my favourite pound for pound whiskey or whisky, bar none.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, it's not even that it's, say 40 quid for a bottle of something, it's just that what you are getting for your 40 quid has changed dramatically for the worse. More value than cost for me and I guess others too. 

That's what I meant aye. I can still afford a bottle but I'm not paying in that range for the standard on offer. 

As said previously the middle market in the £40-80 bracket has just vanished. Some of the best single cask whisky I've ever tried has been in that band and you'd be well over £100 now which just won't do. 

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

And Diplomatico Reserva at £36.50 is decent.

Doorly's 12 year old or El Dorado 12 are far better (they're also real rums without sugar) at the same price or cheaper than Diplomatico in the case of El D.

For a few quid more, El Dorado 15 or Flor de Cana 18 years are worth getting a hold of too. 

Edited by vikingTON

13 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That's what I meant aye. I can still afford a bottle but I'm not paying in that range for the standard on offer. 

As said previously the middle market in the £40-80 bracket has just vanished. Some of the best single cask whisky I've ever tried has been in that band and you'd be well over £100 now which just won't do. 

Abunadh is the poster child for this

I haven't bought a bottle since June.

I think the last 6 bottles I have bought have been irish.

There's great whiskey there at the moment as the new independents pivot to single malt away from old Irish blends.

It's difficult to find out much about it though other than to go and sample it in bars. Luckily I'm there about 4 times a year.

5 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Orchard House for £32.29 is a steal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compass-Box-Orchard-House-70cl/dp/B09DTP1PF8/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1669364176&refinements=p_89:Compass+Box&s=alcohol&sr=1-3&tag=readytogo

I'd grab a Clynelish 14 for under £40, it's going to be joining the crazy Diageo prices in the sky soon as well.

Aye, get on the Clynelish; that went 50-55-75-80 in the US in a very short space a few years back. 

ETA - pre the orange arsehole’s tariffs. 

Edited by carpetmonster