whisky lovers

• 3 weeks later...

It's lovely stuff. You can get a litre of it for around £38 at the airport duty free according to the website. I had hoped to pick up a bottle when I go on holiday next week but it doesn't seem to be available at the airport I'm flying from despite the website making it look like you can reserve in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2022 at 22:12, V.Aye.R said:

Thought I'd give you the heads up for Thursday 10th Nov at Lidl. 

Another giveaway late teen single malt for £40 goes on sale.

Informed its Caol Ila again (as per the 18yo they did last year). 

Move fast 🥃

Screenshot_20221106_221706.jpg

Went in tonight before closing on the off chance. Plenty bottles in Falkirk for the fellow FK postcode good guys. 

IMG_20221109_202240.jpg

Somewhat jealous of this talk of liquor at supermarkets and such. Over here, at least in this section of the land of the free, you can only get the hard stuff at separate liquor stores…as is common in much of ‘Murica. It does remind me of turning the corner into the liquor aisle in a supermarket in Louisiana with my wife and watching her freeze in astonishment that the good stuff, and a whole damn aisle of it, was available in a regular supermarket!

So, on that note, f**k you (and those “Jesus doesn’t like liquor*” Right Wingers running this state) for good bargains on whisky not available here at Lidl and Aldi!

*Given recent news on drink driving and accidents, Jesus certainly likes the liquor around Texas.

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Somewhat jealous of this talk of liquor at supermarkets and such. Over here, at least in this section of the land of the free, you can only get the hard stuff at separate liquor stores…as is common in much of ‘Murica. It does remind me of turning the corner into the liquor aisle in a supermarket in Louisiana with my wife and watching her freeze in astonishment that the good stuff, and a whole damn aisle of it, was available in a regular supermarket!

So, on that note, f**k you (and those “Jesus doesn’t like liquor*” Right Wingers running this state) for good bargains on whisky not available here at Lidl and Aldi!

*Given recent news on drink driving and accidents, Jesus certainly likes the liquor around Texas.

One thing I do appreciate about Illinois slapping sin taxes on...well, everything...is that they're very keen to offer you the opportunity to pay said taxes. If I need a bottle of whisky at 2am on a Wednesday it's a case of going two blocks to 7/11. It won't be anything good, but it's doable. The only one I can't work out is that you can't buy single miniatures in the City of Chicago. As soon as you hit the burbs, it's fine and you can buy multipacks of them here, just not individuals. My mate reckoned it was something to do with the airport being within city limits and some sort of FAA dictat, but Miami's in the same boat and there's no such issues there. 

I do love Total Wine in TX tho. My wife's got folks down there, and it makes buying presents a piece of piss. I can go online to each specific TW store, pay for whatever, and then give them the name and number of the person picking up. They text them when the order's packed, someone goes down to get it from the customer service desk, and it sends me an email to say it's done. Awesome system. 

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

One thing I do appreciate about Illinois slapping sin taxes on...well, everything...is that they're very keen to offer you the opportunity to pay said taxes. If I need a bottle of whisky at 2am on a Wednesday it's a case of going two blocks to 7/11. It won't be anything good, but it's doable. The only one I can't work out is that you can't buy single miniatures in the City of Chicago. As soon as you hit the burbs, it's fine and you can buy multipacks of them here, just not individuals. My mate reckoned it was something to do with the airport being within city limits and some sort of FAA dictat, but Miami's in the same boat and there's no such issues there. 

I do love Total Wine in TX tho. My wife's got folks down there, and it makes buying presents a piece of piss. I can go online to each specific TW store, pay for whatever, and then give them the name and number of the person picking up. They text them when the order's packed, someone goes down to get it from the customer service desk, and it sends me an email to say it's done. Awesome system. 

Nope, not the FAA…the politicians playing games in response to complaints. Seems it’s aimed at keeping drinks from panhandlers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-08-05-0208050152-story.html

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Nope, not the FAA…the politicians playing games in response to complaints. Seems it’s aimed at keeping drinks from panhandlers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-08-05-0208050152-story.html

Huh. Meanwhile you can still get a 25oz can of Steel Reserve for a buck 50ish out of any supermarket or corner shop. 

On 09/11/2022 at 20:28, V.Aye.R said:

Went in tonight before closing on the off chance. Plenty bottles in Falkirk for the fellow FK postcode good guys. 

IMG_20221109_202240.jpg

Duly purchased this evening. Have heard the Lidl special malts are pretty good for £40 so looking forward to trying it. 

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

Where I am, there are just a very few number of off-licences and they focus on the hard stuff or wine.  As for supermarkets, they have a not bad choice of foreign beers but just a few bottles of each and they tend to sit on the shelves for months as they are 2 or 3 times the price of the local stuff.  For some strange reason for the local beers they only sell cans - no idea why.  Convenience stores like 7-11 have a good selection but pricey for the same thing.

The great thing about here is that in pretty much every street you can find a small store (often more than one) which is usually a room in somebody's house converted to a wee shop. I get my beer from the one directly opposite my place, 3 cases at a time and delivered the 30 feet to my door!  

During lockdown, we experienced alcohol bans on and off but were lucky compared to some areas where alcohol was banned for almost a year!  My dealer and I were able to get around the bans luckily.

Edited by hk blues