whisky lovers

19 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What is that a 250 ml bottle? 

Probably a 500. TBWC and Darkness (dunno if it's the same brand, they use those bottles as well) usually that.

It's 500ml. I was given it as a present so no idea on cost but it was delicious and super-smooth. I assume they resrve casks early on and the 11yo is a bit of a gimmick and the smaller bottle disguises the price but it was wonderful - sad to see it go.

Their label says they were founded to bring forgotten drams from some of the world's best distilleries to the whisky craving masses. I'm not seeing Bunnahabhain as being particularly forgotten, maybe they mean the 11yo.

18 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Hard to reach for the whisky with the temperatures but I'm getting by with ice and ginger beer. 

On that, currently we have temperatures in the mid 30's and I don't have A/C at home. I don't usually like putting ice in my whisky but is drinking it at the current room temperatures going to affect the taste? Also, what about storage at these temperatures, does that affect the shelf life in any way?

I've never really seen the point in whisky stones. Is it unreasonable of me to think that if you like your dram cold but not diluted, you can keep it in the fridge? 

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

On that, currently we have temperatures in the mid 30's and I don't have A/C at home. I don't usually like putting ice in my whisky but is drinking it at the current room temperatures going to affect the taste? Also, what about storage at these temperatures, does that affect the shelf life in any way?

I've never really seen the point in whisky stones. Is it unreasonable of me to think that if you like your dram cold but not diluted, you can keep it in the fridge? 

I tried whisky stones. Absolute gimmick, they're hopeless.

As for storage and shelf life, long as they're not sitting out in sunlight there should be no difference. Keep the good stuff in cupboards out of the light.

Just now, GiGi said:

As for storage and shelf life, long as they're not sitting out in sunlight there should be no difference. Keep the good stuff in cupboards out of the light.

Aye, I keep them in the box if they came with one. Thanks for the advice.

55 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Could put some of the cheaper stuff in the Freezer 🥶

g3lmjx.jpg

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

If there’s a whisky edition of the PTTGOYN thread then it’s this fucking packaging. I’m not overly worried about the Glencairns getting lightstruck. 

C03EEC3D-5D18-4BBE-8543-077A687C3295.jpeg

EBBBD53D-B322-43F5-8F47-2A4B4C8B8B7E.jpeg

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If there’s a whisky edition of the PTTGOYN thread then it’s this fucking packaging. I’m not overly worried about the Glencairns getting lightstruck. 

C03EEC3D-5D18-4BBE-8543-077A687C3295.jpeg

EBBBD53D-B322-43F5-8F47-2A4B4C8B8B7E.jpeg

Surely that should be the other way round??

The Campbeltown Loch went to the whisky warehouse in the sky last night. Terrific dram for the price but good luck finding it (springbank). 

To make up for this, I've opened two new bottles tonight - Glen Scotia 15yo and Fettercairn warehouse batch no 2. 

Sometimes it's OK to enjoy life a bit eh. 

The Campbeltown Loch went to the whisky warehouse in the sky last night. Terrific dram for the price but good luck finding it (springbank). 
To make up for this, I've opened two new bottles tonight - Glen Scotia 15yo and Fettercairn warehouse batch no 2. 
Sometimes it's OK to enjoy life a bit eh. 
I know you are close.

I will find you.

My lovely other half bought this only to be opened once the PhD certificate was in hand.  Thankfully now opened, but having munched on a bit of salted caramel chocolate between drams, it's become some sort of glorious Glen Keith - Old Pultney hybrid.  Well worth all the pain and suffering. 🥃

PXL_20220801_211650002.thumb.jpg.f1c8b60aee9ca7b2aa51dbce16e88d87.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My lovely other half bought this only to be opened once the PhD certificate was in hand.  Thankfully now opened, but having munched on a bit of salted caramel chocolate between drams, it's become some sort of glorious Glen Keith - Old Pultney hybrid.  Well worth all the pain and suffering. 🥃

PXL_20220801_211650002.thumb.jpg.f1c8b60aee9ca7b2aa51dbce16e88d87.jpg

Nice one! Well done on the PhD, your other half must have hunted to find this if it was bottled in 2015.

I had a 19yo Signatory Longmorn a few years ago. They're pricey but exceptional drams. I still use the decanter as my infinity bottle. 

10 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Nice one! Well done on the PhD, your other half must have hunted to find this if it was bottled in 2015.

I had a 19yo Signatory Longmorn a few years ago. They're pricey but exceptional drams. I still use the decanter as my infinity bottle. 

Thanks. She bought it when I started my uni programme as a bit of motivation for the next few years.  Probably thought the draw of an excellent dram was more than that of the degree... and at times, she was (strangely) right.