whisky lovers

What’s everyone’s favourite Caol Ila?
I think Caol Ila 12 was my gateway drug to whisky, I remember being given one of those to try at a hotel when I was turning of age. Previously I'd only had rank blends like Bells or Grouse.

That led me into Lagavulin 16 and then on it went. Still really enjoy a Caol Ila 12.

Have visited the warehouse tour there and it was absolutely and unmistakably tremendous. Sitting in a dingy warehouse surrounded by Johnny Walker ephemera and drinking an endless range of decent drams. Would do again!

View from the car park isn't too bad is it? Don't think I have any photos from inside because I think it's one of those distilleries that pretend a wee photo is an explosive device in the making. But the view from inside is extraordinary, huge floor to ceiling windows overlooking the sound from which the distillery is named. a6fdca81c2415ea1f697b7a5e0e4b95a.jpg

On 02/07/2022 at 05:57, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

And how did you rate them. In first place was number...

Tough to rank them tbh, the standard was exceptional. Hazelburn 15yo, fully matured in sherry at Cask strength was a standout for me. 

The take home message just how good glen scotia are. It's mental there is cask strength stuff from them sitting on shop shelves at the price they shift it at. 

1. Hazelburn 15

2. Glen Scotia PX

3. Springbank 30

4. Longrow 21 

5. Hazelburn 21

6. Kilkerran Peated

Edited by V.Aye.R

16 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Tough to rank them tbh, the standard was exceptional. Hazelburn 15yo, fully matured in sherry at Cask strength was a standout for me. 

The take home message just how good glen scotia are. It's mental there is cask strength stuff from them sitting on shop shelves at the price they shift it at. 

1. Hazelburn 15

2. Glen Scotia PX

3. Springbank 30

4. Longrow 21 

5. Hazelburn 21

6. Kilkerran Peated

That's interesting ratings there. I'll have to look out for the Glen Scotia.

I have a Hazelburn, sherry cask, 16 year old at 58% from Cadenheads. It's magic. Got it last year, about a 3rd left.

8 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

That's interesting ratings there. I'll have to look out for the Glen Scotia.

I have a Hazelburn, sherry cask, 16 year old at 58% from Cadenheads. It's magic. Got it last year, about a 3rd left.

The overwhelming favourite on the night was the 30yo. Being cynical folk just wanted it to flip. No level headed person is buying a £900 bottle for anything else. 

They balloted them based on your score so i think that corrupted things.

12 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

The overwhelming favourite on the night was the 30yo. Being cynical folk just wanted it to flip. No level headed person is buying a £900 bottle for anything else. 

They balloted them based on your score so i think that corrupted things.

It's silly money. The older one is not always the better one anyway.

Some will flip, some will put it a shelf to look at. I prefer to have a taste. 

1. Hazelburn 15
2. Glen Scotia PX
3. Springbank 30
4. Longrow 21 
5. Hazelburn 21
6. Kilkerran Peated
That's a tremendous selection. Do Springbank make Hazelburn? Was there some reason they had 3 out of the 6 you were tasting? A bit of a push from Springbank?

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 03/07/2022 at 14:20, V.Aye.R said:

1. Hazelburn 15
2. Glen Scotia PX
3. Springbank 30
4. Longrow 21 
5. Hazelburn 21
6. Kilkerran Peated

That's a tremendous selection. Do Springbank make Hazelburn? Was there some reason they had 3 out of the 6 you were tasting? A bit of a push from Springbank?

Yeah they* (J&A Mitchell) make all of those at Springbank/Glengyle with the exception of Glen Scotia. 

Campbeltown malts being the theme but largely focusing on the recent Springbank distillery releases. 

Edited by V.Aye.R

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers, looks fantastic. I've been at one of their whisky tastings before (and a cocktail one as well) - I take it from your photo this was a virtual tasting? How well does that work?

Really well actually (I've done a load of them with V.Aye.R). I personally prefer the face to face but the virtual is decent. Only slight problem is the amount of losers on the call who think they know more than the experts but they're easy to mute. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers, looks fantastic. I've been at one of their whisky tastings before (and a cocktail one as well) - I take it from your photo this was a virtual tasting? How well does that work?

They're hoping to do the in person tastings again from the Autumn. If you're ever on one give us a shout.