whisky lovers

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

100% best blend in its price range IMO 

I think it's even slightly stronger than the Blue label as well. Making your super premium blend 40% and then charging through the nose for it is an absolute piss take.

15 hours ago, superwell87 said:

The pale colour might be a bit off putting for some,  but this is an absolutely fantastic whisky. Would recommend.  

Balblair is a great wee distillery. Did the tour there a few years back, bottled my own from a 13yo single cask. Lovely stuff, pricey though.

8 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

Balblair is a great wee distillery. Did the tour there a few years back, bottled my own from a 13yo single cask. Lovely stuff, pricey though.

Aye, it is pricy, but it's worth it in my opinion.  Hoping to do the tour of the distillery one day. My dad stays relatively close to it, so should get an opportunity to do it at one point or another.

16 hours ago, superwell87 said:

The pale colour might be a bit off putting for some,  but this is an absolutely fantastic whisky. Would recommend.  

20220410_003653.jpg

Used to drink it a lot but the price increases made it a hard sell. 

The 18yo equivalent was circa £65 3 years ago. Double that now. 

The 12yo has stayed about the same so will probably pick one up next time I see it. 

Back from Islay today. Even hitting Glasgow dead-on the football traffic leaving Hampden, and then crawling along the M8 at a painfully slow speed resulting in my total journey door-to-door from Islay to home exceeding nine hours hasn't dampened my wee post-Islay glow.

Showing some degree of self control this year (i.e. bought about twice as many as planned), this is my wee haul.

Particularly pleased with the various "drivers drams". The trio from Bunnahabhain (including a 25yo were an absolute bargain), and the Kilchoman pairing are distillery exclusives. These drivers drams are a rare affordable luxury good.

New to me are the 5yo Ardbeg and 8yo Bruichladdich. Those will be opened shortly when I come to my next empty bottle of current openings.

The 2021 Feis Isle Bunnahabhain will likely be held back for my wee boy to inherit (or tan when he's old enough), the year of bottling marks his year of birth.

Visited all of the distilleries this time, with exception of Caol Ila which I presumed remained shut for the new VC construction.

Was a particularly good week to pass the reconstructed Port Ellen distillery, as the stills were being installed on-site. Loads of visible progress throughout the course of the week, would imagine it will be up and running fairly quickly now.

Whereas the mooted new distillery just outside Port Ellen (name escapes me) has had a lot of site clearance undertaken but not a single brick laid yet as far as I could see. No signs of life on-site there, don't know if it is going the way of Gartbreck (?) near Bowmore (i.e. stillborn), or if it is just about to ramp up construction.

Whisky bar inside Port Ellen Hotel was a delight, but sadly the nearby Ardview Inn is now closed (albeit I belive has been sold to new owners).

Great trip, thoroughly recommend the place to anybody. Whisky, beaches, wildlife, walks, history, golf etc. All within a mere nine hours from home, ha!

No doubt returning soon...
28d25a4fab1a6786453bd4ef577f216e.jpgb0990995424a5e1beb1988b73d54b77b.jpg2a1698ea54621fbbe4ccbfcae388c280.jpg

27 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Thanks. Under 40 notes for a litre so thought it was worth a try.

I appreciate I gave no actually useful info there. It's good value imo. Not hugely different from other 12yo speysiders but a really good example of the genre. A bottle most folk probably won't have tried and a really nice dram. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have been in Ireland the last week or so and have to say the quality of Irish whiskey is night and day compared to what it was even 5 years ago. Used to be all redbreast, powers and greenspot which are fine but all taste the same. 

Was speaking to a few guys who reckon instead of pouring all their liquid into Tullamore Dew the new Irish distillers are going down the small batch route. The good news is you can pick up (almost) all of them for around 50 quid.

My top 5 would be

Dingle Single Malt

Dunvilles PX 12 yo

West Cork Sherry Cask

Kilbeggan Pot Still

Glendalough Pot Still