whisky lovers

Was visiting folk and they had a 1986 decanter from Bells. Think the folk thought it might be worth something but once I said no (after checking the internet tbf) they said said crack on. One thing I noticed was 43% rather than the 40% now, don't know when it changed? Was actually alright, very easy to drink. If I hadn't actually opened the sealed bottle myself then would have said someone (their kids maybe!) had watered it down a little. Know it doesn't continue to "age" once bottled, but can bottlings lose a bit of ABV if left for a while?

3 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Was visiting folk and they had a 1986 decanter from Bells. Think the folk thought it might be worth something but once I said no (after checking the internet tbf) they said said crack on. One thing I noticed was 43% rather than the 40% now, don't know when it changed? Was actually alright, very easy to drink. If I hadn't actually opened the sealed bottle myself then would have said someone (their kids maybe!) had watered it down a little. Know it doesn't continue to "age" once bottled, but can bottlings lose a bit of ABV if left for a while?

Yeah it can. It shouldn't if it is sealed but no seal is 100% for 35 years

11 minutes ago, Walter said:

I was recently given this bottle by my brother. He's had it for around a decade and who knows how long the guy who gave it to him had it. Is there anyone who is able to tell me anything about it?

20211231_101137.jpg

Taken a screenshot and sent it to my uncle, retired whisky maker with highland park being one of his. I'll let you know if he come back with anything.

Been drinking whisky for a few years now but am by no means a connoisseur.  The depth of my expertise is sipping a dram and thinking 'Yeah, that tastes nicer than the last one.'

Going to Arran next month and will be visiting the distilleries as usual.  Will be buying a cheap blend as well as a dearer bottle which will either be the 18y/o or 21 y/o single malt.  £85 and £120 respectively, but it'd be nice to have in the house for special occasions.

How much would you ever consider paying for a bottle?  One you intend on actually drinking as opposed to collecting.

13 minutes ago, Walter said:

I was recently given this bottle by my brother. He's had it for around a decade and who knows how long the guy who gave it to him had it. Is there anyone who is able to tell me anything about it?

20211231_101137.jpg

It was bottled in 2008 so probably not sitting about too long before your brother had it. 

Old Malt Cask are one of Douglas Laing's Indy bottling brands and they've been on the go for ages. Basically they just take casks from distilleries and bottle them themselves, normally a single cask expression like the one you have there. 

Looks like it says one of 300 odd from a refill hogshead so no fancy wine finishing or anything there, just a solid offering of HP at what I'd assume is a decent abv around 50% or so. 

It's probably a nice half although not likely a collector's item or anything like that.

It was bottled in 2008 so probably not sitting about too long before your brother had it. 
Old Malt Cask are one of Douglas Laing's Indy bottling brands and they've been on the go for ages. Basically they just take casks from distilleries and bottle them themselves, normally a single cask expression like the one you have there. 
Looks like it says one of 300 odd from a refill hogshead so no fancy wine finishing or anything there, just a solid offering of HP at what I'd assume is a decent abv around 50% or so. 
It's probably a nice half although not likely a collector's item or anything like that.
That's a relief. I was scared to drink it in case it was totally wasted on me.

1 minute ago, Walter said:
4 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That's a relief. I was scared to drink it in case it was totally wasted on me.

Nah get wired in. Single cask stuff like yours there are the most fun to drink because they're a one off and you never know exactly what you'll get. Enjoy. 

Nah get wired in. Single cask stuff like yours there are the most fun to drink because they're a one off and you never know exactly what you'll get. Enjoy. 
That's my drink for the bells decided then. The Ben Bracken will be pushed aside.

30 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

Been drinking whisky for a few years now but am by no means a connoisseur.  The depth of my expertise is sipping a dram and thinking 'Yeah, that tastes nicer than the last one.'

Going to Arran next month and will be visiting the distilleries as usual.  Will be buying a cheap blend as well as a dearer bottle which will either be the 18y/o or 21 y/o single malt.  £85 and £120 respectively, but it'd be nice to have in the house for special occasions.

How much would you ever consider paying for a bottle?  One you intend on actually drinking as opposed to collecting.

Consider buying a distillery exclusive at Arran, you'll be able to get the 18/21yo any time online. 

They'll usually have something 10-15yo with maybe a peated rum finish or something a bit unusual. Price will probably be in the £60-80 range. 

They have a whisky bar so you'll be able to sample a few if you want to give it a try. 

13 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Consider buying a distillery exclusive at Arran, you'll be able to get the 18/21yo any time online. 

They'll usually have something 10-15yo with maybe a peated rum finish or something a bit unusual. Price will probably be in the £60-80 range. 

They have a whisky bar so you'll be able to sample a few if you want to give it a try. 

Thanks mate, that's great advice, especially about the whisky bar.

Family whisky tasting tonight. Blind taste and try to identify which is which and then rate them in order of preference. Spectacularly wrong as every year.

My favourites were the two Caoil Ila's (James Eadie and First Cask) but what surprised me was that I really like the Ben Bracken 18yo but all three of us put it in last place. 060311557f1c80b6c0614802adbfe55b.jpg

Couple of American ones for my Christmas, Old Forester Statesman and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Picked up a Balblair 12 at the airport for use 38 notes for a litre. Is that a good price and has anyone got a review? Opened it for the bells and found it to be very pleasant. 

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Couple of American ones for my Christmas, Old Forester Statesman and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Picked up a Balblair 12 at the airport for use 38 notes for a litre. Is that a good price and has anyone got a review? Opened it for the bells and found it to be very pleasant. 

Sounds like a good deal to me!