whisky lovers

A rather pleasant smooth effort, but I'd still rank the 105 (with a single drop of water) higher based on the finish (25yo misses something in the throat for my liking, ooh-err)

PXL_20211204_232651403.thumb.jpg.7d882e32110a4dfaaea809a59a05f02a.jpg

Eta: considerably improves by the 3rd dram.

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I already got a couple of Talisker 18s recently.

I expect it to be a struggle to find for under 225 in 2022. 

I really (really) like Lagavulin 16 but it's in danger of becoming uncompetitive 

What makes you say £225? I just can't see that, despite the rumours. Would kill sales stone dead at a time when Diageo blend sales have taken a bit of a battering globally. 

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

What makes you say £225? I just can't see that, despite the rumours. Would kill sales stone dead at a time when Diageo blend sales have taken a bit of a battering globally. 

The advice to trade is by Feb Talisker 18 up by 190 %, the 25 up by 70% Oban 14 up by 90% and Lagavulin up 40%

That's what I'm seeing but my maths might be way off 

If you go online now 18 can't be got. Every retailer has pulled it or the bottles have ready been bought. Madness you could get it on Amazon (with a free mug!!) for 80 quid 6 months ago.

Expect to see the auctions heavy with it in coming months.

The good news is there is so much good whisky under 100 quid you could never drink it all so I'll just go to something else.

Annoying when you have something you know is quality guaranteed and no risk though which goes.

Edited by invergowrie arab

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The advice to trade is by Feb Talisker 18 up by 190 %, the 25 up by 70% Oban 14 up by 90% and Lagavulin up 40%

That's what I'm seeing but my maths might be way off 

If you go online now 18 can't be got. Every retailer has pulled it or the bottles have ready been bought. Madness you could get it on Amazon (with a free mug!!) for 80 quid 6 months ago.

Expect to see the auctions heavy with it in coming months.

The good news is there is so much good whisky under 100 quid you could never drink it all so I'll just go to something else.

Annoying when you have something you know is quality guaranteed and no risk though which goes.

I just don't understand the strategy tbh, if that's the way they go. Maybe the UK market isn't their priority. 

I do think age statements of 15-18 years will start to get out of reach in the coming years. Some of my favourites like Balblair, Lagavulin, pulteney have already gone that way. Luckily I've been building an emergency stash. 

More and more brands seem to be positioning their statement bottling as premium brands and giving them a price to match. 

The big markets are supermarket and super premium. I don't actually think that 75 -150 market is all that big and its going to get squeezed a bit. It will always be there but more and more I think in annual releases, airport exclusives, distillers editions and one off releases.

I think you will have less and less core age statement bottlings in that price bracket. There will always be whisky but as I said before you are going to be running a risk on what it's like whereas you always know what you are going to get from a bottle of Talisker 18 or Lagavulin 16. 

I wouldnt rule out that folk just don't know what they are doing or where the market is either.

Càrn Mòr dropped a 33 yo 1988 Glen Garioch for 3 k last month and the very next day Hunter Laing dropped a 32 yo 1988 Glen Garioch  for 400. Someone has fucked that but I don't know who. 

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

More and more brands seem to be positioning their statement bottling as premium brands and giving them a price to match. 

The big markets are supermarket and super premium. I don't actually think that 75 -150 market is all that big and its going to get squeezed a bit. It will always be there but more and more I think in annual releases, airport exclusives, distillers editions and one off releases.

I think you will have less and less core age statement bottlings in that price bracket. There will always be whisky but as I said before you are going to be running a risk on what it's like whereas you always know what you are going to get from a bottle of Talisker 18 or Lagavulin 16. 

I wouldnt rule out that folk just don't know what they are doing or where the market is either.

Càrn Mòr dropped a 33 yo 1988 Glen Garioch for 3 k last month and the very next day Hunter Laing dropped a 32 yo 1988 Glen Garioch  for 400. Someone has fucked that but I don't know who. 

Can't disagree with any of that, I take it you work in the industry?

My worry is that my budget is probably in that middle ground market you mention but my tastes are Premium! Luckily I have a product allowance which will keep me in supply of some of the more pricey bottles. 

There's also some indy bottlers who are just paying over the odds for Casks and passing it on knowing they'll get away with it. 

Indys used to be about value and something a bit different but now they've lost the plot a bit imo. 

I think a lot of them (who aren't distilling themselves, or shaping up to) will disappear in the future. 

8 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Can't disagree with any of that, I take it you work in the industry?

My worry is that my budget is probably in that middle ground market you mention but my tastes are Premium! Luckily I have a product allowance which will keep me in supply of some of the more pricey bottles. 

Not me but a few pals are. 

I tend to be more into bottle shares now with those guys.

If I want to drink alone in the house I'm happy with a Talisker 10.

If I have an amazing whisky I want to share it and talk about it and once its gone its gone and move onto the next one.

On 21/12/2021 at 15:11, V.Aye.R said:

The first retailer I've seen quoting prices. That's unbelievable 🤢

Screenshot_20211221_150533_com.twitter.android_edit_330384581087606.jpg

Is that for Lagavulin 16?  If so, very disappointing.  I would say it used to be underpriced/great value for many years when it was under/around £50.  Now it's going the other way.  The last time I remember this sort of leap being so annoying was when Bunna 18 went from £80 to £125 in quite a short space of time.

53 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If you live in the posh bit of toon you can stil get Lagavulin 16 in Waitrose for 50 quid.

If anyone wants to get their hands on the last "reasonably" priced Talisker 18 whiskybarrel are still doing it for 110. Buy two and flip one next year and you can drink for free 

Cheers but refuse to buy from those cvnts. 

Will drop into Waitrose for a Lagavulin though. 

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Is that for Lagavulin 16?  If so, very disappointing.  I would say it used to be underpriced/great value for many years when it was under/around £50.  Now it's going the other way.  The last time I remember this sort of leap being so annoying was when Bunna 18 went from £80 to £125 in quite a short space of time.

Yeah, the first part is about Lagavulin, then on to Talisker. 

really can't see Talisker flying at 250 though!