whisky lovers

11 hours ago, milton75 said:

I think The Good Spirits Company are pretty far on with this - on a cask level though. Barrel in the shop, constantly topped up. No idea if contents are good though!

They got a slap on the wrist from HM Revenue about it. Didn't make much sense to them, given all the booze there was duty paid. 

They add sherry and other various things like bitters to make it a cocktail and circumvent the bizarre rules. 

Released as a proprietary GSCo cocktail, usually at Christmas. Worth buying imo. 

Did the tour of Glen Ord yesterday. They produce Singleton of Gken Ord, which is exclusively for export to Asia, so the only place you can get in here is at the Distillery. 

Sweet and smooth, really nice. Got myself a bottle of their 15 year old and one for my dad for Christmas since it's one he won't have had before.

Tour was decent, two tastings at the end, pretty good value for £8.75. But they had a problem with their computer, so they just let us have it for free. A good wee afternoon. 

48 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I flew from Glasgow Airport this morning and they have some really good offers for anyone flying outside the UK- back to the good old days of Duty Free. Unfortunately I was on a domestic flight but it's worth bearing in mind for anyone due to fly abroad.

I have a pal in Germany I visit generally once or twice a year and I always take him a bottle from the duty free to pay my digs. I won't be going this time until a couple of months into the new year but fingers crossed there's actually some savings to be made for a change.

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I flew from Glasgow Airport this morning and they have some really good offers for anyone flying outside the UK- back to the good old days of Duty Free. Unfortunately I was on a domestic flight but it's worth bearing in mind for anyone due to fly abroad.

Noticed this flying from Aberdeen to Europe yesterday too. Not just cheaper but seemed a lot larger selection than before. Definitely worth keeping in mind. 

Was given a tasting of 3 different sherry casks after told the store assistant that's what I was into at the moment, and picked up the one I liked most - Mortlach 16 year old which was 50 quid instead of about 65.

7 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Noticed this flying from Aberdeen to Europe yesterday too. Not just cheaper but seemed a lot larger selection than before. Definitely worth keeping in mind. 

Was given a tasting of 3 different sherry casks after told the store assistant that's what I was into at the moment, and picked up the one I liked most - Mortlach 16 year old which was 50 quid instead of about 65.

Mortlach is a fantastic dram and that is a great deal.  I've had some good airport bottles in the past - Bowmore 15y-o "Mariner" springs to mind, and Laphroaig PX cask.  Both were litre bottles too!

Mortlach is a fantastic dram and that is a great deal.  I've had some good airport bottles in the past - Bowmore 15y-o "Mariner" springs to mind, and Laphroaig PX cask.  Both were litre bottles too!
Yeah, you can't beat thinking you've found a really good deal and then realising it's a litre bottle as well.

Talisker 10yo is £27 quid on amazon for black Friday and why are you still reading this post instead of buying some? 

I saw that, also Talisker Storm and Skye on offer.
How do the three of them compare?
I’ve had the 10 yo before and it’s great stuff, but was thinking of trying one of the others.
Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

I saw that, also Talisker Storm and Skye on offer.
How do the three of them compare?
I’ve had the 10 yo before and it’s great stuff, but was thinking of trying one of the others.
Thoughts?

I've had them all and all are good drams but the 10 is one of those classic drams that you just can't turn down at that price. You'll often see the others on offer. 

Any recommendations from the Diageo Empire's selections at 20% discount? Because that's the deal in Oban Distillery's shop this weekend. 

£35 for Clynelish 14, ~£40 for Oban 14 or £44 for Little Bay have already caught the eye. 

53 minutes ago, virginton said:

Any recommendations from the Diageo Empire's selections at 20% discount? Because that's the deal in Oban Distillery's shop this weekend. 

£35 for Clynelish 14, ~£40 for Oban 14 or £44 for Little Bay have already caught the eye. 

Clynelish 14 @ £35 is great value imo. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Agree with the man above. Anything from Clynelish is superb and that's  good value.

I wasn't blown away by the Little Bay. I'd have the 14 if choosing between the two. 

I'd probably pay 40 quid for a bottle of tapwater from Lagavulin if they have any of that on the go for a good price. The 16 has shot up recently. Very rarely see it under 65 now. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

I've had them all and all are good drams but the 10 is one of those classic drams that you just can't turn down at that price. You'll often see the others on offer. 

Agree with this. Storm and Skye are fine but not as good as the 10 and more expensive - although I think the price of Skye has plummeted of late. 

If you can stretch to the 18 it's defintely in my top 5 you can buy under 100 and some days it's #1.