whisky lovers

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

What is the big deal with Bimber?  

It seems to get a good write up but I've never tried it. It is quite expensive even though it's very young. 

Their first release had rave reviews and their batches are really small which created a huge hype which caused the usual story with flippers and now everything just sells out as soon as it’s released.

Never tried it and only bought it because of the exposure if I’m honest.

I’m sure it will be opened at some point though.

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

7 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Would be rude not to reach for the drams, given the circumstances. 🥃

Rude? Nay, unthinkable. Which is exactly what I'll be in a couple of hours' time.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I feel as though I should whisper this but we've got the Lidl brochure through the door advertising their 18yo Islay Ben Bracken starting tomorrow at £39.99.

I'm guessing it will be heavily peated? What's their standard Ben Bracken like?

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I feel as though I should whisper this but we've got the Lidl brochure through the door advertising their 18yo Islay Ben Bracken starting tomorrow at £39.99.

You mean these? I went down tonight and lifted the Ben Bracken one off the delivery pallet. Aldi have the Glen Marnoch too at £40.

IMG_20211117_192112.jpg

I was in a well-known boozer in Glasgow on Friday, and looking at their malts list had a laugh aloud moment at some North British ones listed. 

Is some distillery at the capers or are they trying to attract supporters of a certain Govan mob? 

More to the point, has anyone ever sampled a North British malt? 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I was in a well-known boozer in Glasgow on Friday, and looking at their malts list had a laugh aloud moment at some North British ones listed. 

Is some distillery at the capers or are they trying to attract supporters of a certain Govan mob? 

North British exclusively make grain whisky I'm sure and it's reasonably rare to see a single grain bottling of theirs, usually by one of the Indy bottling companies. 

Most of their stuff will end up in the blends you get on pub optics but don't know which one(s) off the top of my head.

So not a new fangled cash grab at the currants. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I have from the SMWS society. Im sure the bottle was over 20 years but as somebody mentioned its grain whisky so didn’t excatly blow my mind but tasted fine. As for the ‘North British’ thing it was a common term for Scotland back then (1800s) especially in Edinburgh where you had the North British hotel and the North British railway also based there. 

Edited by gannonball

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

I have from the SMWS society. Im sure the bottle was over 20 years but as somebody mentioned its grain whisky so didn’t excatly blow my mind but tasted fine. As for the ‘North British’ thing it was a common term for Scotland back then (1800s) especially in Edinburgh where you had the North British hotel and the North British railway also based there. 

Proof, if proof be need be, about the way Edinburgh has always been.

On 07/11/2021 at 06:41, jimbaxters said:

Read an article yesterday about making a bottle of infinity whisky. Writer spoke about adding a dram to an empty bottle each time he opened a new one. Seems like quite an interesting idea. Have any of to big lads tried it?

On 07/11/2021 at 10:25, CountyFan said:

I have one. Think a few of the regular whisky thread posters do too, it's come up before. Mine is probably 4 years old or so by now. Changes all the time as you drink a little then re-fill with something else. 

I think The Good Spirits Company are pretty far on with this - on a cask level though. Barrel in the shop, constantly topped up. No idea if contents are good though!

Bought a bottle of Beckham's Haig Club as they're getting shot of it at £16 with a Tesco Club card. Bland as f**k but it goes down like lemonade so you get a monster hangover. Probably designed for making daiquiris or something.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bought a bottle of Beckham's Haig Club as they're getting shot of it at £16 with a Tesco Club card. Bland as f**k but it goes down like lemonade so you get a monster hangover. Probably designed for making daiquiris or something.

It's advertised as fancy mixing fodder. I tried it the weekend past for the first time actually and it just tastes like an Irish whiskey.