whisky lovers

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wonder what it's like arriving at an Italian airport with a couple of boxes of bourbon as a tourist, would you just pay the tax or is it more complicated? Must be loads of deals like that around the world, locals getting a taste for some shite Scotch whisky for example and sending the price sky high.

It's generally done at a more concerted level - like Diageo targeted Mexico heavily with Buchanan's, it became a big thing there and as a result it's pushed the price up in US cities where immigrants buy it - you're looking at about $35 a bottle for standard Buchanan's 12 (it's decent enough but you can do better for $35) all the way up to $200 for the 21YO. It's apparently now their second biggest whisky brand after Johnnie Walker. They're targeting Old Parr at Colombia, so it'll be interesting to see if the price of that shoots up, particularly in places like New Jersey and Miami where there's a load of Colombians. 

Edited by carpetmonster

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Its not *that* drastic to get - IME anyway - and it’s not that great either. There’s a few places near me I’d be able to get it at MSRP ($60-65) with a little bit of effort - supermarket over the road gets a few bottles in whenever it drops and they just plank it straight behind the CS desk so it’s just a case of calling them and asking to hold you one. Having it fund a wee Italian jaunt might be quite the thing!

Was basing what I said on a conversation I had with a lassie from California we met in the summer there. She was talking about the Kentucky whisky trail and mentioned about Blanton's being the big thing atm and so was really hard to find. Got bottle of it and Deanston 18 sitting at SWA. They're not shipping to Italy just now post BREXIT so hoping to get them when over at Christmas and smuggle them in. Don't fancy trying to answer the question set by @welshbairn

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Was basing what I said on a conversation I had with a lassie from California we met in the summer there. She was talking about the Kentucky whisky trail and mentioned about Blanton's being the big thing atm and so was really hard to find. Got bottle of it and Deanston 18 sitting at SWA. They're not shipping to Italy just now post BREXIT so hoping to get them when over at Christmas and smuggle them in. Don't fancy trying to answer the question set by @welshbairn

I noticed that shipping problem. What is their excuse. Other EU countries don't have this problem?

3 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I noticed that shipping problem. What is their excuse. Other EU countries don't have this problem?

Tbh I haven't dug for enough to find out. Probably just being twisted. Fantastic country but hellish bureaucracy-wise. We have had to get extra documents pretty quickly to stay here. 

Further to the alcohol thing, I can take 4 litres of spirits (IIRC) from here to UK but can only bring 1 litre the other way 🤔

15 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Tbh I haven't dug for enough to find out. Probably just being twisted. Fantastic country but hellish bureaucracy-wise. We have had to get extra documents pretty quickly to stay here. 

Further to the alcohol thing, I can take 4 litres of spirits (IIRC) from here to UK but can only bring 1 litre the other way 🤔

I've been looking to get some whisky sent over but it's not been straight forward. Where are you? I might be in Bologna in December. 

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Anyone tried the latest Ardbeg committee release, “For Discussion”?  These seem a pretty reasonable way to make a quick 50 quid, but I’d quite like to try one, first.

Dont think I've tried a single Ardbeg I've not enjoyed. 

Think they've hit saturation point with their 'limited' releases though. Not sure even Ardbeg fans can keep up lol

I see the Lidl and Aldi seemingly annual now Christmas time releases are out. Both 18yo and both 39.99. Incredible value. The Aldi is a speyside and it's out now. The Lidl is the Ben Bracken again, is an Islay and think is out next week. 

They tend to disappear fast so keep an eye out. The Aldi one you can get on their website but you need to buy 6 bottles to get delivery. Thankfully that includes mix and matching with their cheap and also fantastic wine so wasn't a bother for me. 

11 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I see the Lidl and Aldi seemingly annual now Christmas time releases are out. Both 18yo and both 39.99. Incredible value. The Aldi is a speyside and it's out now. The Lidl is the Ben Bracken again, is an Islay and think is out next week. 

They tend to disappear fast so keep an eye out. The Aldi one you can get on their website but you need to buy 6 bottles to get delivery. Thankfully that includes mix and matching with their cheap and also fantastic wine so wasn't a bother for me. 

Just went through and put 6 botles together then realised that all the wine was getting patched becasue of minimum pricing. Crossed it off in a rage. Might revisit later

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just went through and put 6 botles together then realised that all the wine was getting patched becasue of minimum pricing. Crossed it off in a rage. Might revisit later

Oh I didn't have that problem. I was on like the 6/7 quid wine, you must have been after the properly cheap stuff 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Oh I didn't have that problem. I was on like the 6/7 quid wine, you must have been after the properly cheap stuff 

😂 I wouldn't like to confirm or deny......

In all honesty, my wine buying process goes like this....... 

IF colour = red AND %abv > 13 THEN gies it

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

😂 I wouldn't like to confirm or deny......

In all honesty, my wine buying process goes like this....... 

IF colour = red AND %abv > 13 THEN gies it

Didn't know you were such a connoisseur. 

e8c28303-7164-43ba-b8fb-6b981c0948b2-1.jpg.cbb5c135dcc2390eb85c68d0824b81a4.jpg

Have tricked myself into buying the Bunna CS having talked myself into a corner on here that it was great value. Hearing really good things about it though.

This is next Fridays dram. 90% sure it's Clynelish

https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/highland-2010-11-year-old-thompson-bros-rmw-exclusive-56-3-70cl/

34 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have tricked myself into buying the Bunna CS having talked myself into a corner on here that it was great value. Hearing really good things about it though.

This is next Fridays dram. 90% sure it's Clynelish

https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/highland-2010-11-year-old-thompson-bros-rmw-exclusive-56-3-70cl/

Interesting, the griffin would make me think more of Tomatin maybe? 

In any case, its Thompson bros so it'll be braw. 

Cheers. The 18yo Islay from Lidl was tremendous at £35 last year. Finished my bottle a few weeks ago so will keep an eye out.