whisky lovers

Completed the trinity today with mixed results.

Ardbeg was closed today but we could wander about.

Laphroaig was open but a power cut yesterday knocked their internet out so they had no card machine, and I was agonisingly a few quid short of having enough cash on me to buy a PX finish (Cadonais?) bottle. (I should have haggled but I have some self respect.)

Leading me to Lagavulin where I was welcomed like a returning war hero. Was able to acquire a Feis Isle 2020 bottle of Caol Ila (sister distillery) which should hopefully have some rarity value if I decide to punt it many years down line. More likely it will be drunk over Xmas.

Since Bruichladdich was closed for lunch when I visited on Friday, I've not had a great run of luck at actually being able to buy whisky on Islay this week (although there is always the Spar in Bowmore which has a sensational selection).

And the less said about Kilchoman's new visitor centre the better. It's like an outlet of House of Bruar now (not a complement), and the range of whisky on sale is risibly tucked away in a corner. I love their whisky too but not a fan of this new set up at all.

Islay remains spectacular, and will be back Easter 2022 (to actually use the cottage booking I paid for in 2019!).

22ad3164778c8cfa8ba8aee592a41a87.jpge89970d7551c09a2ab115aae590ebb1c.jpg7f415aafd98316ab6df4c8c1b412a60d.jpg0d5ce647973095d8784fc72adc59678d.jpg

10 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Got this glenandrew.  Never heard of it before.  Made from an unknown distillery and sold by the vintage malt whiskey company.  All very still game moonshine like.  Quite nice though.  

84942814-0667-4C32-AC64-FCFEFE4E245F.jpeg

Did you find that Glencairn down the back of the couch?

I am currently not a whisky lover having had one too many on Saturday night.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Read an article yesterday about making a bottle of infinity whisky. Writer spoke about adding a dram to an empty bottle each time he opened a new one. Seems like quite an interesting idea. Have any of to big lads tried it?

I have one. Think a few of the regular whisky thread posters do too, it's come up before. Mine is probably 4 years old or so by now. Changes all the time as you drink a little then re-fill with something else. 

I was down in London a few weeks back and accidentally ordered a £45 cocktail which, going by the menu, was made with Talisker whisky. It was some underground jazz bar and the drinks menu was a map of the world with cocktails from all different countries.  The waiter rushed me for my order and I noticed there was one from Skye, so I pointed to Skye and said that one please.

In hindsight it was my own stupidity, it was hardly going to be a strawberry daiquiri coming from Skye. I did drink it all but I didn’t enjoy it, and my breath felt like it was about to ignite into flames after every sip. 

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Read an article yesterday about making a bottle of infinity whisky. Writer spoke about adding a dram to an empty bottle each time he opened a new one. Seems like quite an interesting idea. Have any of to big lads tried it?

Yes. Have had one on the go for about 5 years now using an old bottle of Hibiki 17 which with the labels removed makes an excellent recycled decanter. 

Over time it has ebbed and flowed from pretty much undrinkable, to amazing and back again. It’s great fun, a real talking point and interesting to experiment with the various additions. 

My top tip is avoid starting with anything too peaty. I had about 20% Octomore in my first blend and it destroyed any other flavours in the mix! Oh and keep a wee note of everything you put in, it’s really interesting to look back on

Edited by Munter

Was on a whisky field trip yesterday to Aberfeldy, Blair Athol and Robertson’s Whisky Shop in Pitlochry (Ewan there is a top guy and is happy to share samples).

Aberfeldy is a great visitor experience. 6 drams in the tasting of which the 25 year old Dewars blend was a very pleasant surprise. The 18 year old Brackla special edition also very good. Unfortunately the “straight from the cask” 28 year old Aberfeldy was way too dry and heavy on the Sherry for my liking and with a bit of sulphur. 

Blair Athol was consistent with other Diageo distilleries I’ve visited, which is to say the experience was consistently poor. A very dull tasting, where out of 5 drams the Talisker distillers edition was the standout. The host was ok, but far more interested in getting us to the shop ASAP than making the experience fun/entertaining or informative.

Ended up with an indie 13 year old Craigellechie from Robertson’s to take home. 

Edited by Munter

3 hours ago, Munter said:

Blair Athol was consistent with other Diageo distilleries I’ve visited, which is to say the experience was consistently poor. A very dull tasting, where out of 5 drams the Talisker distillers edition was the standout. The host was ok, but far more interested in getting us to the shop ASAP than making the experience fun/entertaining or informative.

Ended up with an indie 13 year old Craigellechie from Robertson’s to take home. 

He took the huff because I told him Alltdour doesn't mean burn of the otter in Gaelic at all.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Excellent selection, our shelves have a lot in common!

I've never seen the American Craft Ale cask on my travels over there. Intrigued by that one.

Thanks! Glad to hear you've got some Bunna on the shelf too. Any favourites? The craft cask was a distillery shop buy pre-pandemic. Not one of their pricier offerings and quite light. I don't think they had it this year but as you probably know there are usually several distillery only fills in the shop. I stupidly bought the Manzanilla finish on site this year as I hadn't seen it before but turns out I could have bought it online. Should have bought the white label Cote du Rotie cask instead. First world problems, I suppose...

1 hour ago, wellfan09 said:

Anyone sampled the £15.99 Lidl peated blend? Keeps catching my eye at the checkout during the weekly shop but not took the plunge yet incase its shite

No, but you should buy and review on here. Little to lose!