whisky lovers

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Apart from the obvious smoke/iodine flavours, the only ones i've ever picked out would be vanilla, which i'd say you get off bourbon cask ones, and one time, I took a dram of something, fucked if I can mind what, and immediately went "Apples". Then I checked the sleeve and sure enough, it had apple on the notes. Thats the only time iv ever been impressed by my palate. All the rest of the time I just taste whisky.

Sweet, sweet whisky.

At least scotch has a range of flavours which can be picked out. Watching the lads on YouTube tasting bourbons and cracking on about peanut shells and tobacco has me bemused. When I nose or taste any bourbon, I struggle to get past toffee, vanilla or brown sugar. Flavours which lift my kilt incidentally, but finding anything other than them is beyond me.

Edited by jimbaxters

There's definitely certain elements you can pick out from the process.

eg ethers leaving tropical flavours from a long time in a washback before distillation. Depending on how pissed I am I would describe that as juicy fruit chewing gum/a bit pineapply/ the sun rising over an Indian papya plantation and warming the dew on the fruits as I take a breakfast of grapefruit sweetened with demerara sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2021 at 16:56, GiGi said:

Had to look it up myself. That is the case, it's actual malt whisky from undisclosed distilleries. 

The upcoming distillery at Ardgowan did the same thing and they haven't even started building their fucking still house yet!

The drafted in master blender Max MacFarlane formerly of Highland park and he blended some batches using other places' malts. 

Max is my uncle, his nose is insured, not kidding! 

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2021 at 13:22, RH33 said:

Got given this.

IMG_20211005_083913352.jpg

Didn't even know Highland park even dealt with casks that small now, would imagine it will be worth a few quid to the ever growing band of HP collectors such is it’s rareity.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Didn't even know Highland park even dealt with casks that small now, would imagine it will be worth a few quid to the ever growing band of HP collectors such is it’s rareity.

They did it for his retirement couple.of years ago. No idea what it's worth. 

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

They did it for his retirement couple.of years ago. No idea what it's worth. 

You can apply for these in a ballot each year if you are in the inner circle ie their mailing list.

The last one was over 5k so not a bad present.

They aren't super rare but I imagine very few go up for sale and people keep their bottles or gift to friends and family.

I'm sure you wouldn't sell it but the fact it is personalised to him with a connection tonthe distillery as opposed to me would increase the value.

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

You can apply for these in a ballot each year if you are in the inner circle ie their mailing list.

The last one was over 5k so not a bad present.

They aren't super rare but I imagine very few go up for sale and people keep their bottles or gift to friends and family.

I'm sure you wouldn't sell it but the fact it is personalised to him with a connection tonthe distillery as opposed to me would increase the value.

Are You Sure Super Troopers GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Edited by jimbaxters

• 3 weeks later...