whisky lovers

The Oban tour guide was decent when I did it in 2019 (?) though it was a bit perfunctory and on your way once it came to the final tasting. Clearly if they can punt folk up to the bar space upstairs afterwards then they'd prefer do that. 
It's possible that they're struggling to get back to normal for the tours. I've been looking at a trip to Campbeltown but haven't seen any tastings options returning yet for this season, which I'm interested in over the '85% is the same basic information' tour of any distillery/brewery.
The distilleries being closed on Sundays when that's the only workable ferry for having a swally or two is a bit of a daft mismatch as well.
In all honesty, I just didnt expect it to be quite so touristy. It was very generic, very in and out. As I say, the wife was agency and had no affiliation with the distillery really. But maybe I just have a romanticsed idea of what might be available on these tours.

Being illegal, I have absolutely no intention of making my own whisky once I make space for a still in my garage, but I know a guy who does, and he wanted to get a bit of a chat with a distiller type cat about some specifics..... he also said the Oban tour was inadequate

NB: Visiting the beer shop across the street from the distillery should have made up for any disappointment. 
Visitied the Oban Inn extensively, who had ditched masks, embraced bar service and laid on live music. I do not remember returning to my digs.

The Inn is always a good choice, a pint of Fyne Ales out on the seafront is glorious. 

Aulays is good for proper 'what was I doing there' material as well. They were already stacking random folk six to a wee table back last autumn so it'll be back to full normality now. 

The Inn is always a good choice, a pint of Fyne Ales out on the seafront is glorious. 
Aulays is good for proper 'what was I doing there' material as well. They were already stacking random folk six to a wee table back last autumn so it'll be back to full normality now. 
I went to Aulays expecting that but it was dead as f**k. Auld folk sat at tables and no music/craic whatsoever. The Oban Inn was the star of the show last week. Had a great time.

Haven't done the Oban tour but remember the distillery shop being quite unfriendly.  The wee whisky shop on the main street is excellent though.

One of the best tours I have been on was Benromach, in Forres (across the road from Forres Mechanics FC).  In fact, as I am often in the area I have done it a couple of times with different pals in the past few years.  Both times it was super-friendly, in a small group, and the guide welcomed a bit of chat/asking questions.  They were also generous with different samples at the end; no sense of being rushed out.  Highly recommended.

IMGP0547_cr.jpg

Haven't done the Oban tour but remember the distillery shop being quite unfriendly.  The wee whisky shop on the main street is excellent though.
One of the best tours I have been on was Benromach, in Forres (across the road from Forres Mechanics FC).  In fact, as I am often in the area I have done it a couple of times with different pals in the past few years.  Both times it was super-friendly, in a small group, and the guide welcomed a bit of chat/asking questions.  They were also generous with different samples at the end; no sense of being rushed out.  Highly recommended.

IMGP0547_cr.thumb.jpg.39ad4ee7c485809a80d80d15c626ee1b.jpg
Agree on the oban staff. Quite standoffish.

Benromach is class, popped in about 2 years ago and got offered samples and had a chat when buying a bottle. 15 yo is overshadowed by the 10yo being so good.

On 14/08/2021 at 17:46, virginton said:

The Oban tour guide was decent when I did it in 2019 (?) though it was a bit perfunctory and on your way once it came to the final tasting. Clearly if they can punt folk up to the bar space upstairs afterwards then they'd prefer do that. 

It's possible that they're struggling to get back to normal for the tours. I've been looking at a trip to Campbeltown but haven't seen any tastings options returning yet for this season, which I'm interested in over the '85% is the same basic information' tour of any distillery/brewery.

The distilleries being closed on Sundays when that's the only workable ferry for having a swally or two is a bit of a daft mismatch as well.

I did Kilkerran in Campbeltown last month and their tastings weren't on site yet. They did give us a dram away in a takeaway bottle as well as a miniature, but that was as much as they were doing. They were hoping to offer the tastings again "soon" but didn't elaborate any further than that vagary.

Had a laugh in Manchester Airport yesterday morning. Went to the whisky section of duty free and was met by a guy with two massive earrings who asked if I needed help. "I've tasted them all so just ask me if you need advice". Obvious BS so asked him what proof the Wild Turkey Longbranch was and how he found it in comparison to the 101. He replied "It's smoother even though they're both 40". Longbranch is 43%vol when I looked at the label.

If you're ever there they have a good selection but have a look yourself.

I’ve always struggled with “smooth” as a descriptor for drinks / tastes , it doesn’t convey anything g to me in terms of what the drink tastes like. 
Balanced I get , sharp , nippy or uneven fine but what does smooth mean to the rest of you , just bland and easy drinking ? 

I’ve always struggled with “smooth” as a descriptor for drinks / tastes , it doesn’t convey anything g to me in terms of what the drink tastes like. 
Balanced I get , sharp , nippy or uneven fine but what does smooth mean to the rest of you , just bland and easy drinking ? 

Smooth is the classic descriptor for people new to appreciating wines and spirits. You even see mainstream brands quote it on their marketing etc.

Never really been a massive fan of fancy tasting notes either tbh. Screams of LOOK AT ME and folk get ridiculous with it.

Ive been on tastings with@countyfan and he's just dropped in bullsh!t tasting notes and folk rush to agree with him [emoji23]

Aye usually just means someone is surprised that the neat spirit is not burning their jaw off or tasting like window cleaner when not mixed with coke. Smooth isn't a taste.

43 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Smooth is the classic descriptor for people new to appreciating wines and spirits. You even see mainstream brands quote it on their marketing etc.

Never really been a massive fan of fancy tasting notes either tbh. Screams of LOOK AT ME and folk get ridiculous with it.

Ive been on tastings with@countyfan and he's just dropped in bullsh!t tasting notes and folk rush to agree with him emoji23.png

Aye the crisp air after the rain on an autumn morning isn't a valid note either. Yanks are more guilty of this particular bullshit than anyone I've noticed.

Edited by GiGi

14 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Ive been on tastings with@countyfan and he's just dropped in bullsh!t tasting notes and folk rush to agree with him emoji23.png

What was the one on Friday there, McCain oven chips? I thought that was a great tasting note. 

What was the one on Friday there, McCain oven chips? I thought that was a great tasting note. 
The odd fun tasting note or something defining is fine.

Its the folk who pretend to smell lemongrass and get clove on the palate. Boring snobby cvnts.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

The odd fun tasting note or something defining is fine.

Its the folk who pretend to smell lemongrass and get clove on the palate. Boring snobby cvnts.

Apart from the obvious smoke/iodine flavours, the only ones i've ever picked out would be vanilla, which i'd say you get off bourbon cask ones, and one time, I took a dram of something, fucked if I can mind what, and immediately went "Apples". Then I checked the sleeve and sure enough, it had apple on the notes. Thats the only time iv ever been impressed by my palate. All the rest of the time I just taste whisky.

Sweet, sweet whisky.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Apart from the obvious smoke/iodine flavours, the only ones i've ever picked out would be vanilla, which i'd say you get off bourbon cask ones, and one time, I took a dram of something, fucked if I can mind what, and immediately went "Apples". Then I checked the sleeve and sure enough, it had apple on the notes. Thats the only time iv ever been impressed by my palate. All the rest of the time I just taste whisky.

Sweet, sweet whisky.

This 

was chatting with a distiller who remarked he had a list of tasting notes that he chucks in randomly , as folk “expect” them , clootie dumpling. Engine oil, dunnage warehouse were a couple of them I remember 

Just now, bishopburn boy said:

This 

was chatting with a distiller who remarked he had a list of tasting notes that he chucks in randomly , as folk “expect” them , clootie dumpling. Engine oil, dunnage warehouse were a couple of them I remember 

I can see why folk broadly say yer sherry bombs have a "dried fruit! flavour etc. I've seen ones claiming kippers and saddle leather ffs