whisky lovers

5 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Ah ok I just assumed it was underage stuff. Probably should have asked

Had to look it up myself. That is the case, it's actual malt whisky from undisclosed distilleries. 

The upcoming distillery at Ardgowan did the same thing and they haven't even started building their fucking still house yet!

The drafted in master blender Max MacFarlane formerly of Highland park and he blended some batches using other places' malts. 

I mentioned the bramble liquer from Kilchoman and its good to see distilleries being imaginative with their new make spirit whilst they wait  rather than pumping out shitty gin or some god awful aqua vitae type stuff 
I thought Lindores aquavitae was decent. Admittedly as a mixer

Was touring Deanston at the weekend.
Picked up their 2005 French Oak and Chronicles bottles available in the shop.

Booked on a tasting which could have been better tbh, some decent chat with the other couple on it too. Not so much tasting, more like left in a room to drink 4 glasses.

Back in the shop made up for it with samplers of anything and everything.

Lacked an entertaining guide though.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

Was touring Deanston at the weekend.
Picked up their 2005 French Oak and Chronicles bottles available in the shop.

Booked on a tasting which could have been better tbh, some decent chat with the other couple on it too. Not so much tasting, more like left in a room to drink 4 glasses.

Back in the shop made up for it with samplers of anything and everything.

Lacked an entertaining guide though.

That sounds like the tour I did a few years ago. 4 whiskies and the tour guide was a German girl who was here studying but she was really good. Similar though got to try more just wandering about the shop floor, they were very generous at pouring a jug of whatever you were looking at.

29 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Anyone been to Aberfeldy distillery? Doing a tasting there tomorrow. Not sure whether to focus on the aberfeldy malts or the Dewars stuff. 

Don't do the whisky and chocolate

Anyone who tells you whisky and chocolate go together is a liar.

I can recommend the Dewars DNA one. It was really interesting. I didn't do the cask finishes one as I reckoned I drink enough whisky to know about different finishes.

Don't do the whisky and chocolate
 Anyone who tells you whisky and chocolate go together is a liar.
I can recommend the Dewars DNA one. It was really interesting. I didn't do the cask finishes one as I reckoned I drink enough whisky to know about different finishes.

Dark chocolate and something robust/cask strength is wonderful [emoji7][emoji515]

I'm back in the game. I've not renewed my membership from SMWS since Feb. Now buying from Cadenhead's. 

Today I'm drinking. Cask strength, as is my preference. i have a Glen Ord 11 years old, a Glenrothes 17 years old.  Also, started with supermarket Loch Lomond 10 yrs old for £25. Nice starter.

43 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Dark chocolate and something robust/cask strength is wonderful emoji7.pngemoji515.png

Somewhat true, but only with a really plain, very dark chocolate as in 85% cocoa and above. The Morrisons own dark chocolate at 90% or whatever is tremendous and only about 80p a bar. Can do nicely as a palate cleanser, works with some red wines as well.

Somewhat true, but only with a really plain, very dark chocolate as in 85% cocoa and above. The Morrisons own dark chocolate at 90% or whatever is tremendous and only about 80p a bar. Can do nicely as a palate cleanser, works with some red wines as well.
I had some stuff from Aldi, was about 75% and had some sea salt. Good for picking out other flavours when you blind yourself to the salt

20 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Anyone been to Aberfeldy distillery? Doing a tasting there tomorrow. Not sure whether to focus on the aberfeldy malts or the Dewars stuff. 

Well that was fucking tremendous. Did the 'connoisseurs tasting' at £26.50. Dram drawn from the cask in the warehouse, then 5 other nips to taste in the cafe after. Really friendly and knowledgeable guide which made a massive difference. Spent £154 on 3 bottles... oops. 

Went on the Oban tour as discussed previously the other day.

Il be honest, I didnt like it. Shown round quick smart by an agency tourguide with no craic or charisma, learned precious little.

Always pictured it differently and was not the least bit impressed.

The Oban tour guide was decent when I did it in 2019 (?) though it was a bit perfunctory and on your way once it came to the final tasting. Clearly if they can punt folk up to the bar space upstairs afterwards then they'd prefer do that. 

It's possible that they're struggling to get back to normal for the tours. I've been looking at a trip to Campbeltown but haven't seen any tastings options returning yet for this season, which I'm interested in over the '85% is the same basic information' tour of any distillery/brewery.

The distilleries being closed on Sundays when that's the only workable ferry for having a swally or two is a bit of a daft mismatch as well.