whisky lovers

My definition of a good distillery tour is a large volume of whisky and getting to the good/rare stuff.
A couple of halves and a walk about the place is a wee bit boring to me. The places that offer different ranges of tours where you can get a proper lineup of their range plus some bonus stuff. Auchentoshan's masterclass tour or whatever it's called is the best I've been on. Dear but well worth it.
We staggered out of that very tour at auchentoshan [emoji23]

If they've got any of this left it's enjoyable IMO
IMG_20210720_204310.thumb.jpg.a3a37b8b1edf45a397a89fcf53944cea.jpg
Bought back in April
Lochranza will be my next tour. Last time I was there they were very generous with the free samples in the bar. Could get messy [emoji4]

I intend to buy one! Could get expensive with one of the Warehouse 4 bottles if one takes my fancy.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

We staggered out of that very tour at auchentoshan emoji23.png

Same here. Get 3 of the core range during the tour, a good bucket at 60% right out the cask, then the 18, 21, 24 year old, blood oak, spring wood and a whisky and beer cocktail at the end. Glad I went to a bakery in Dalmuir before it 🤣

Same here. Get 3 of the core range during the tour, a good bucket at 60% right out the cask, then the 18, 21, 24 year old, blood oak, spring wood and a whisky and beer cocktail at the end. Glad I went to a bakery in Dalmuir before it [emoji1787]

Was it the ex-cop who took you round? Cant remember his name but he booted the door to the tasting room closed once we had got inside, juat knew it was about to get silly lol.

Liked everything I've tried from Kilchoman. Young spirit done superbly well from those lads.

I haven't tried the Machir Bay CS but I'm now tempted to buy one. Pay tomorrow so that might be my first purchase.

Liked everything I've tried from Kilchoman. Young spirit done superbly well from those lads.
I haven't tried the Machir Bay CS but I'm now tempted to buy one. Pay tomorrow so that might be my first purchase.
I had the UK batch 2 which has bourbon, oloroso and PX casks. Lovely and didnt last long.

I bought 2 Torabhaig. One for drinking and for one for keeping. Only have one left now. Its never going to be worth anything is it? I should crack it shouldn't I?
Next release due this month, by the time the 10yo comes out in 2038, they'll be 4 other releases. A set might be?

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I bought 2 Torabhaig. One for drinking and for one for keeping. Only have one left now. Its never going to be worth anything is it? I should crack it shouldn't I?

Depends. IMO probably never enough to be worth hanging on to. If you buy a bottle for £100 and in 10 years it's worth £300 then that might seem good but is it worth not drinking something you like for the sake of £1.66 appreciation per month so someone else can drink it?

Never been able to square that idea in my head. I just crack everything. Could drop dead before any of my bottles were worth much.

20 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Depends. IMO probably never enough to be worth hanging on to. If you buy a bottle for £100 and in 10 years it's worth £300 then that might seem good but is it worth not drinking something you like for the sake of £1.66 appreciation per month so someone else can drink it?

Never been able to square that idea in my head. I just crack everything. Could drop dead before any of my bottles were worth much.

Pretty much this. It won't be worth thousands so it's getting drunk. 

Going by the auctions sites I'm the only one drinking it. 

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm in the same boat. I'll keep it if I can get my hands on the other releases and have a 'set' in a few years. As soon as I miss one they're getting opened. 

I think 20 years ago first bottlings might have been something exciting but there's about 20 new distilleries on the go now in recent years.

Folk must know what they are doing though as the Torabhaig is class for its age, I have a 5 yo Ardnamurchan which is excellent and I could drink the Harris new make spirit on its own.

Might pop over to Lindores on Sunday to get their new release.

Anyone had the Raasay?

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think 20 years ago first bottlings might have been something exciting but there's about 20 new distilleries on the go now in recent years.

Folk must know what they are doing though as the Torabhaig is class for its age, I have a 5 yo Ardnamurchan which is excellent and I could drink the Harris new make spirit on its own.

Might pop over to Lindores on Sunday to get their new release.

Anyone had the Raasay?

Haven't had their whisky as such, but I got a wee bottle of their while we wait effort and if the whisky in the years to come gets better with age then they are onto a winner.

I'm sure I read someone here had said they had bought a first release bottle

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Haven't had their whisky as such, but I got a wee bottle of their while we wait effort and if the whisky in the years to come gets better with age then they are onto a winner.

I'm sure I read someone here had said they had bought a first release bottle

The While We Wait stuff was blended from casks from other distilleries though was it not? Regardless I enjoyed the one I tried as well, if the flavour profile of that one being sweet and lightly peated is what they're going for then I agree it should be good. 

Edited by GiGi

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

The While We Wait stuff was blended from casks from other distilleries though was it not? Regardless I enjoyed the one I tried as well, if the flavour profile of that one being sweet and lightly peated then I agree it should be good. 

Ah ok I just assumed it was underage stuff. Probably should have asked