whisky lovers

9 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Not quite the right forum, perhaps, but I know the connoisseurs here can help. I've been gifted an Irish Whiskey, Black Bush (usual puerile guffaw here) from Bushmills. Does one mix stuff in to enjoy this stuff? 

Nah, it’s fine. 

6 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Have bet on England a few times in the last week or so, any bottle recommendations if the worst were to happen?

Buget of maybe £250, one or multiple bottles emoji1634.pngemoji460.png

Nae luck. Also congrats I'm having the dregs of a Blue Label (dont, not worth) and styling into an Auchentoshan 18.

The night is but young

22 hours ago, GiGi said:

Nae luck. Also congrats I'm having the dregs of a Blue Label (dont, not worth) and styling into an Auchentoshan 18.

The night is but young

Would agree with this was given one as a gift. Nice enough whisky but not worth the price it goes for even when its on offer. 

The night is but young
Never been happier to lose a bet [emoji41]
I do like Auchentoshan, the 3 wood is decent when on offer.

Did a tour a few years ago, the warehouse one which was worth the money

Anyone done the Oban Distillery tour? Booked in for what will be, despite my love of whisky, my first distillery tour ever.
Yes I have. It didn't have the ambience of say a Lagavulin or Bunnahabhain tour, and they weren't as forthcoming with the samples as I would have liked, but it was a good enough way to pass an hour or two.

The good thing about Oban distillery is their shop. They have bottles from not just Oban but their sister distilleries (Lagavulin, Talisker, Cragganmote, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie). You might pick up something decent.

Shop across the road (Oban Whisky & Fine Wines) is worth a look also.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone done the Oban Distillery tour? Booked in for what will be, despite my love of whisky, my first distillery tour ever.

I did it last September and it wasnt a tour as much as a sit distanced and tan 4 nips in 45 mins whilst the guy chats to you. So it was great. Not sure what they'll be offering now but the chat at the time was that the production areas were too tight to allow for distancing so they just weren't bothering with actual tours. 

Get the normal perks - £5 off a bottle in the shop and a free branded glencairn glass chucked in with a purchase. 

I did it last September and it wasnt a tour as much as a sit distanced and tan 4 nips in 45 mins whilst the guy chats to you. So it was great. Not sure what they'll be offering now but the chat at the time was that the production areas were too tight to allow for distancing so they just weren't bothering with actual tours. 
Get the normal perks - £5 off a bottle in the shop and a free branded glencairn glass chucked in with a purchase. 
I did dalwhinnie a few months back, diageo were apparently using a few distilleries as test sites for protocol etc. Hopefully it has opened up now from what you had.

Did the Kilkerran/Glengyle tour in Campbeltown today. Tour guide was fantastic and there were some great stories about the equipment. 

They weren't allowing tastings on site, but got a dram in a takeaway container, a glass and a miniature (which Mrs The Hunter has already packed away pre picture). She hates whisky so I have two drams to try tonight. Looking forward to it. Tour was only a tenner as well, great value.

20210720_202908.jpg

Edited by Craig the Hunter

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The Oban tour was really good when I did it a few years ago. Two tastings included including one they drew straight from the cask. Was a very good experience.

My definition of a good distillery tour is a large volume of whisky and getting to the good/rare stuff.

A couple of halves and a walk about the place is a wee bit boring to me. The places that offer different ranges of tours where you can get a proper lineup of their range plus some bonus stuff. Auchentoshan's masterclass tour or whatever it's called is the best I've been on. Dear but well worth it.

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Speaking of distillery tours  @V.Aye.R and I are going to Deanston on Saturday. They have quite the collection of distillery exclusives, any recommendations on which bottle to pick up? 

If they've got any of this left it's enjoyable IMO

IMG_20210720_204310.thumb.jpg.a3a37b8b1edf45a397a89fcf53944cea.jpg

Bought back in April

Lochranza will be my next tour. Last time I was there they were very generous with the free samples in the bar. Could get messy :)

My definition of a good distillery tour is a large volume of whisky and getting to the good/rare stuff.
A couple of halves and a walk about the place is a wee bit boring to me. The places that offer different ranges of tours where you can get a proper lineup of their range plus some bonus stuff. Auchentoshan's masterclass tour or whatever it's called is the best I've been on. Dear but well worth it.
I'm with you!

Lagavulin Warehouse tasting and Bunnahabhain Warehouse 9 tasting leave you worrying about driving a car four weeks later. That's my kind of whisky experience.

Caol Ila also did amagnificent tasting in a wee room with church pews, where they were very generous with the samples.

Recommend doing the Lagavulin tour with a very rich American couple on honeymoon, who crack open the 1966 cask for their tour buddies! That was 2011 so we were tasting the 45yo stuff.

Basically if you get led into a darkened vault where you find yourself instinctively zipping your jacket up to combat the cold, you know they're about to break out the good stuff.

Whereas the tastings held up in the visitors centre or some tweeded "library" are usually keek. But I'll give an exception here to Bruichladdich, who treat their guest in the visitors centre very well indeed.