whisky lovers

4 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Poorly worded on my behalf. Heading to Dornoch as well.

I stopped at Tomatin at the weekend. Picked up a bottle of their Sauternes Cask distillery effort. Looking forward to cracking that open when I get a chance

The A'bunadh is one I've seen mentioned regularly. I've not really investigated cask strength too much although having just bought a Glenfarclas 105 I can be tempted by them.

Macallan gives me that impression. Never tried any of them but always raises an eyebrow at their prices.

I know a man who's promised me an all singing, all dancing tour of Balvenie/Glenfiddich. So hopefully looking at that later in the year. Balvenie is awesome stuff

If you're going to Brora, check out Clynelish. Marvellous stuff. 

6 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

The A'bunadh is one I've seen mentioned regularly. I've not really investigated cask strength too much although having just bought a Glenfarclas 105 I can be tempted by them.

Macallan gives me that impression. Never tried any of them but always raises an eyebrow at their prices.

The A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105 are equal favourites for me.  Two drops of water in the former; no more, no less.

The Macallan has been a victim of it's own success of late.  The 12yo was a thing of beauty, but I've heard they've run out of anything top-notch (possibly why prices have risen for remaining bottles) and have had to resort to producing blended malts under the name of things like 'Macallan Gold', trading on past glories.  Never really been a fan of their fine oaks though.

Depends what you want to spend. Robertson of Pitlichry do a great Glen Ord independent bottling but its 150 quid a bottle. Worth popping your head into Robertson's if you are up that way anyway.

If I was heading north of Slochd then Clynelish would be 1 on my list. Easily my favourite mainland distillery at the moment and they do a huge variety of different bottlings. Brora Castle bar is not to be missed if you can get in.

Glenfarclas 105 is good, 25 is meh and 21 is the outstanding bottle. Remember Glenfarclas and a' bunadh are sherry heavy so if that's not what you are looking for try something else. I prefer something lighter for summer.

At the end of the day I wouldn't look for too much in the way of recommendations. Go to some distilleries, see what you like and buy stuff that they don't have in Tesco (many a good whisky in Tesco but if you have gone all that way, have a reason to have gone).

I'm not bothering with distilleries until the warehouse tastings are brought back. No interest in tours around washbacks and nonsense about water sources.

I've ordered one of these to try it. 48%, unchill-filtered Glenlivet. Worth a bash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-Illicit-Limited-Single-Exclusive/dp/B08L8YRN9P/

The tinted bottle is misleading right enough, the whisky looks fairly light coloured. I'm more interested in the flavour anyway and stronger Glenlivets are often good.

On 02/06/2021 at 06:01, CountyFan said:

If you're going to Brora, check out Clynelish. Marvellous stuff. 

They've opened second one to bring back the Brora whisky.

On 05/06/2021 at 09:37, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Is anyone on here a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? Considering getting a mate of mine a membership as a wedding present (I am best man). Worth it for 55 quid?

Not a member myself but a pal was a few years back.  Had several fantastic nights over in the Vaults in Leith, which is really atmospheric and does excellent food as well as the huge range of drams.  The new Glasgow room looks nice too.   I'd say it's a very nice gift.  The optional extras they offer (just looked up the membership) look pretty good too.

Is anyone on here a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? Considering getting a mate of mine a membership as a wedding present (I am best man). Worth it for 55 quid?

I'm a member. It's getting harder to justify as a club for buying bottles as you literally have 5 minutes each month to buy the good stuff.

It's well worth the money just for access to the tasting rooms though.

Yes, I'm a member. I'd say it depends on how much whisky they buy and where they are based. The two main benefits are entry to the members rooms and being allowed to buy SMWS bottles.

I got my membership for Christmas 2019, so have not actually been able to visit any of the members rooms due to lockdown. Previously I went fairly regularly on other people's memberships and the Leith vaults is near my workplace so in normal times I'd have been popping in enough to justify the membership. 

There's also the chance to pick up some interesting bottles, although in the last year it's been a bit of a shambles with the online shop and stuff generally sells out in 60 seconds. 

If they are likely to buy a few bottles a year and/or would regularly visit the members rooms in Edinburgh or Glasgow then I'd say it's worth it.

Said goodbye to a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiureadair with a generous measure while watching A View From The Euros tonight. Not quite as nice as their 12yo I finished a few weeks ago but still lovely stuff. 20210611_234806.thumb.jpg.12e9736804106646226ea801c3f5e0ca.jpg
Try the Mòine if you enjoyed those two. About £35 on amazon and I quite enjoyed the smoky sweetness.

It would appear that I've gone off Lagavulin 16yo.  Used to be my favourite dram by far, but having been fed Speysides for years now, I suddenly feel as if I would never miss it again.  

Has anybody else experienced a massive change around in whisky tastes???

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tullibardine Sovereign for Fathers day.

Any reviews?

Pleasantly decent , not stellar and absolutely not pish , a good solid dram.

Nose is vanilla / get coconut flakes and some pear , sipping neat vanilla gets sweeter , like vanilla custard and there are nuts / almonds 

in the finish is when the spice turns up , is black pepper  , decent length of finish too 

there you go good sir 

6 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Pleasantly decent , not stellar and absolutely not pish , a good solid dram.

Nose is vanilla / get coconut flakes and some pear , sipping neat vanilla gets sweeter , like vanilla custard and there are nuts / almonds 

in the finish is when the spice turns up , is black pepper  , decent length of finish too 

there you go good sir 

Thank you kindly. I lokk forward to cracking it open, not till Wednesday unfortunately. 

I see on Prime day theres Clynelish for £33 which is clearly a bargain, but one that jumped out at me was an Auchetoshan Sauvignon Blanc finish. Thought it would be a good wee comparison with the ever popular red wine finishes. Only think putting me off was the heavy "enjoy chilled" alarm bells all over it. Anyone tried that or similar?