whisky lovers

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 20:53, Hedgecutter said:

Just tried a bit of the Abrachan from Lidl I can only describe it as a rather young meh dram masked by a bit of heavy wood.  However, for £18, can't really complain.  A very drinkable bottle for a party where even the finest wouldn't be appreciated though.

I would like to retract my previous statement about Abrachan, which was (as stated) written after an afternoon in the pub.

Had another dram of it last night and I'm now going as far as saying that it's vile.  Even got up in the middle of the night to drink something else to remove the awful lingering taste.  I must have been in denial the night I bought it, masked by the lingering Tennents, Stella & Moretti aftertaste combo.

In the words of Grandmaster Flash: "don't do it".

On 15/05/2021 at 18:18, Unleash The Nade said:

Bowmore 12 year old , selling in Tesco now for £25 if you have a Tesco Clubcard,

Normally £40

Seems I'm too late to the party.

PXL_20210529_195236450.thumb.jpg.56baf32526096b110346faf4a9836289.jpg

Deal finishes before the next delivery I think. 😢

On that note, the Arran distillery at Lochranza is a Highland distillery but the island now has a lowland one at Lagg as well. (Technically speaking, don't believe either distillery class themselves as anything other than Isle of Arran)

So the line that divides Highland and lowland is pretty interesting, although according to Glengoyne themselves they basically got the line moved so they could call it Highland whisky.

Edited by GiGi

On 30/05/2021 at 21:23, Hedgecutter said:

Anybody got any interesting whisky pairings food wise?

Currently having a Benrinnes after a bit of banana loaf and it just seems to work.

Tomatin 12 and aldi black pepper oatcake bites

Been building a collection over the last few months with some fantastic finds (and others not so), of which Mortlach, Glen Turret and Glenfarclas have been the highlights

Heading to Speyside next week and looking for some recommendations.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any gems from the following distilleries:

Glen Garioch

Glen Dronach

Glen Ord

Balblair

Aberlour

Macallan

Glenallachie

Strathisla

Glen Grant

Glenfiddich

Been building a collection over the last few months with some fantastic finds (and others not so), of which Mortlach, Glen Turret and Glenfarclas have been the highlights
Does anyone have any recommendations of any gems from the following distilleries:
Glen Garioch
Glen Dronach
Glen Ord
Balblair
Aberlour
Macallan
Glenallachie
Strathisla
Glen Grant
Glenfiddich

Balblair isn't in Speyside, its much further north. Not sure if your comments about Speyside and Recommendations were related, apologies if I've misread.

Would recommend a trip to Tomatin if you're travelling north on the A9. Their warehouse tour/tasting is excellent.

5 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Glen Dronach

15yo > 18yo >12yo

Eta: Balvenie does the best tour imo, although that might be because I got to fill my own bottle and sign my own label in their wee VAT office.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Glen Garioch

Glen Dronach

Glen Ord

Balblair

Aberlour

Macallan

Glenallachie

Strathisla

Glen Grant

Glenfiddich

Glenallachie's 10yo batch strength stuff is great, and award winning. Batch 4 and 5 in particular are really good and I have both. They're on to batch 6 now which I haven't tasted. Heavily sherried. 

Similarly, Aberlour A'bunadh is great although not as good value as it used to be. Again, really heavily sherried cask strength stuff and really highly thought of by the whisky cognoscenti.

Macallan is overpriced shite for yanks in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Balblair isn't in Speyside, its much further north. Not sure if your comments about Speyside and Recommendations were related, apologies if I've misread.

Would recommend a trip to Tomatin if you're travelling north on the A9. Their warehouse tour/tasting is excellent.

Poorly worded on my behalf. Heading to Dornoch as well.

I stopped at Tomatin at the weekend. Picked up a bottle of their Sauternes Cask distillery effort. Looking forward to cracking that open when I get a chance

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Glenallachie's 10yo batch strength stuff is great, and award winning. Batch 4 and 5 in particular are really good and I have both. They're on to batch 6 now which I haven't tasted. Heavily sherried. 

Similarly, Aberlour A'bunadh is great although not as good value as it used to be. Again, really heavily sherried cask strength stuff and really highly thought of by the whisky cognoscenti.

Macallan is overpriced shite for yanks in my opinion. 

The A'bunadh is one I've seen mentioned regularly. I've not really investigated cask strength too much although having just bought a Glenfarclas 105 I can be tempted by them.

Macallan gives me that impression. Never tried any of them but always raises an eyebrow at their prices.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

15yo > 18yo >12yo

Eta: Balvenie does the best tour imo, although that might be because I got to fill my own bottle and sign my own label in their wee VAT office.

I know a man who's promised me an all singing, all dancing tour of Balvenie/Glenfiddich. So hopefully looking at that later in the year. Balvenie is awesome stuff