whisky lovers

Did this last night. Very interesting and I learned loads. The samples were from the Infrequent Flyers range and the owner Alistair Walker was there to explain each dram.  The Orkney 21 was officially from undisclosed distillery but everyone agreed it was Highland Park. That was my favourite although the panel all raved about the Bowmore 23yo. Peat was there in it but not overpowering. One lad commented that Alistair must have "big balls" to put such a nice whisky in Virgin Oak cask to finish. 
There is so much indy highland park out there, some great value too.

Indy bowmore seems to be better than the core range bottles which are a bit meh

What would people recommend as an investment whisky of sorts? Say i wanted to buy a bottle of the same type every year at a price point of £200-£300 ish. Much like that guy who bought his son a bottle every year for 20 years and he sold them and used the money as a deposit for a house. 

12 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

What would people recommend as an investment whisky of sorts? Say i wanted to buy a bottle of the same type every year at a price point of £200-£300 ish. Much like that guy who bought his son a bottle every year for 20 years and he sold them and used the money as a deposit for a house. 

Few distilleries will release the same things year on year like that these days because theres so much pressure now to release new and interesting stuff. Macallan (what he did that with) is premium for some reason. His bottles were worth £40k or something mad at the end but the newer ones wont have increased in value that much, they're already really dear. 

It's hard to know what's going to be worth money in the future. I doubt he did it at the time thinking it was an investment, he just thought it was cool to have the same thing every year. 

Look for new releases, special editions etc. Some of those will be worth a lot in future but you're not going to turn £500 into £50k very easily. 

On 18/04/2021 at 22:51, GiGi said:

Blue Label for me is the most overpriced and overhyped whisky going. Green Label is great value for money, Blue Label isn't that much better but puts you back more than double what I'd pay for it.

Took a Green Label. Smashing dram. Thanks for the advice.

On 22/04/2021 at 09:20, V.Aye.R said:

If its still in bond, then it wont have duty applied.

I looked at buying a cask with a few pals and family members last year.

The duty near doubles the price at almost £25 per litre of pure alcohol. You're talking £10k all in easily.

I'd still like to do it one day, 10 people put in say £500 and you've got 10 years to put aside another £500 to cover the tax.

Nah, if it’s a hogsheads then filled at 225 litres  , angels get greedy , so even conservatively that’s 180 l in the cask , again let’s be conservative and say it’s at 60%abv ( depends on fill, if it went in at 63.5 , this numbers might be 150 l @ 55% abv)  so that’s a duty cost of 2700 ( 2062.5 for the 150l example) , it’s still a whoosh of cash, but it isn’t 10 grand 

if he has a Sherry butt with a 600l fill, then a that’s a hell of a gift , and b fins a whisky shop to go halfers with and have them (effectively ) pay for the lot for an exclusive bottling and get 50 odd bottles effectively buckshee, what can go wrong there and 50 bottles is a LOT of Grog ! 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Cant spell

On 19/04/2021 at 11:42, Malty Guy said:

I think that’s what Whisky marketing is all about. Market and hype a product : the price it sky high.

But - I personally find all the Johnnie Walker products to be superb.

That Brazilian chap who donated the worlds biggest whisky collection to the Scotch Whisky Visitor Centre, Castlehill, Edin. He never ever drank anything except Red Label. He wasn’t daft

Did a tasting with Charlie Maclean a couple of years back, and he admitted when the doors are shut and the curtains are closed , he pours a black label for himself 

Nah, if it’s a hogsheads then filled at 225 litres  , angels get greedy , so even conservatively that’s 180 l in the cask , again let’s be conservative and say it’s at 60%abv ( depends on fill, if it went in at 63.5 , this numbers might be 150 l @ 55% abv)  so that’s a duty cost of 2700 ( 2062.5 for the 150l example) , it’s still a whoosh of cash, but it isn’t 10 grand 
if he has a Sherry butt with a 600l fill, then a that’s a hell of a gift , and b fins a whisky shop to go halfers with and have them (effectively ) pay for the lot for an exclusive bottling and get 50 odd bottles effectively buckshee, what can go wrong there and 50 bottles is a LOT of Grog ! 
The 10 grand is all in. I'm counting having paid for the spirit too, along with insurance, bottling, VAT etc.

That's down to one individual distillery though (Arran). Like I say their workings are freely available to view online.

Guest bernardblack
29 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nipped to to Lidl for a loaf after a few drinks at the pub and returned with a loaf, an Orkney Gold and a bottle of 'Abrachan'.

Just tried a bit of the latter and I can only describe it as a rather young meh dram masked by a bit of heavy wood.  However, for £18, can't really complain.  A very drinkable bottle for a party where even the finest wouldn't be appreciated though.

Expensive loaf of bread...

Nipped to to Lidl for a loaf after a few drinks at the pub and returned with a loaf, an Orkney Gold and a bottle of 'Abrachan'.
Just tried a bit of the latter and I can only describe it as a rather young meh dram masked by a bit of heavy wood.  However, for £18, can't really complain.  A very drinkable bottle for a party where even the finest wouldn't be appreciated though.
I seen the Abrachan blended malt at £15.99 and 42%

Might yet pick up a bottle.

Its got Whyte and Mackay written all over it with the random ABV