whisky lovers

13 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yet you don't know about Scapa?

I'll just assume you polished off the latest bottle prior to posting that. 😉

I hate this word check - it changed it to Scalpy!!!  I’ve made worse faux pas - and I’ll do a lot more; trust me😂😅
Yes I find the Scapa to be a very friendly distillery. Very low key,,,, nice helpful people.

On 16/04/2021 at 11:56, jimbaxters said:

Is that not too peaty though? Tired laphroig and it can get in the sea.

That's a good question actually. Probably trophy cabinet describes it well but with the possibility of drinking. Might do both. It is a BIG birthday after all. Thanks

I assume the first picks are in line with Deanston & Highland Park?

there's a shop near me with lots of Arran Whisky in it. I'll go have a look. Thanks

Probably closer to saving to drink with pals. Budget probably 100-150.

Thanks. It's a few days away yet. After tasting Laphroig Ive shyed away from Isaly or peaty stuff. Am I wrong in doing that? Live in Italy so your tempting suggestion of a visit to the SMWS isn't an option unfortunately. The Milan online Whisky shop are doing some online tastings though. Do you think this looks good value based on the samples?

https://whiskyshop.it/it/eventi-degustazioni/2501/degustazione-on-line-octomore

Glendronach 18 or 21

Bunnahabhain 18

Glenfarclas 21 or 25

I'd say they are all impressive enough for the cabinet and nothing extreme to the taste. 

I think that’s what Whisky marketing is all about. Market and hype a product : the price it sky high.
But - I personally find all the Johnnie Walker products to be superb.
That Brazilian chap who donated the worlds biggest whisky collection to the Scotch Whisky Visitor Centre, Castlehill, Edin. He never ever drank anything except Red Label. He wasn’t daft
I dont know Blue Label, but Black and Green are excellent at their respective price points.

4 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:
15 hours ago, Malty Guy said:
I think that’s what Whisky marketing is all about. Market and hype a product : the price it sky high.
That Brazilian chap who donated the worlds biggest whisky collection to the Scotch Whisky Visitor Centre, Castlehill, Edin. He never ever drank anything except Red Label. He wasn’t daft

I dont know Blue Label, but Black and Green are excellent at their respective price points.

4 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:
15 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

They certainly are. But the true Malt guys simply don’t rate them. Strange but even as recently as 40 years ago ,,,, single malts were pretty uncommon. Glenlivet and Glenmorangie were the two of the most popular then. Actually I’ve got a 16yo Glenlivet bought for my birthday about 43/44 years ago by my wife. It’s still unopened. The box was ruined by something when it was under the sink. I’m still waiting for that very special occasion to open it. They really were that uncommon. It’s my number one bottle and will stay that way forever.  Everything has been experienced during that time - Births/ jobs/ degrees/ business’/houses and more but I still can’t open that particular bottle. Actually I compared the bottle to another substitute that I have recently. Everything is pretty much identical - label, bottle, foil cap wrapper (forgotten the name for that) and I’m pretty sure the contents. It could tell more than a few stories that bottle. And to me, that’s what it’s all about. It’s become a family member. Strangely it’s a brand that I don’t particularly enthuse about. But it’s always going to be there. 

Edited by Malty Guy
?

BOTTLE FILLING

One my greatest and most pleasurable Whisky experiences was several years ago.

and it’s worth sharing 

On a visit to the Glenturret at Crieff,,,, I spotted a cask. 
After friendly discussion with the always helpful staff, it was a Special Bottle Your Own Cask.

I think this was the 3rd cask too be used. The first Cast was donated to Prince William  - who has put it way/given it for charitable use in the future : an excellent idea. I think the second cask was named after Towser - the distillery cat who held Guinness record for catching mice.

my Cask was the Andy Murray. It’s a great feeling to be given your own empty bottle, to then complete the filling tube with 70cl of the product, then release the filling tube into your bottle. You then have to complete the Cusoms & Excise manual and label the bottle, complete with your own signature and date.

Even for this crusty auld nippy guy; it was a memorable occasion. My better half was taken with my performance - she paid for it - it was another significant birthday.

I recommend trying this experience - the staff at Glenturret were so helpful, they videoed it on my camera took lots of photos, and it’s not expensive. 
Very like the bottle, the memories last a lifetime.

BOTTLE FILLING

One my greatest and most pleasurable Whisky experiences was several years ago.
and it’s worth sharing 
On a visit to the Glenturret at Crieff,,,, I spotted a cask. 
After friendly discussion with the always helpful staff, it was a Special Bottle Your Own Cask.
I think this was the 3rd cask too be used. The first Cast was donated to Prince William  - who has put it way/given it for charitable use in the future : an excellent idea. I think the second cask was named after Towser - the distillery cat who held Guinness record for catching mice.
my Cask was the Andy Murray. It’s a great feeling to be given your own empty bottle, to then complete the filling tube with 70cl of the product, then release the filling tube into your bottle. You then have to complete the Cusoms & Excise manual and label the bottle, complete with your own signature and date.
Even for this crusty auld nippy guy; it was a memorable occasion. My better half was taken with my performance - she paid for it - it was another significant birthday.
I recommend trying this experience - the staff at Glenturret were so helpful, they videoed it on my camera took lots of photos, and it’s not expensive. 
Very like the bottle, the memories last a lifetime.

Ive done this for both my young children at Tomatin and got a photo with them holding the bottle.

Will keep until each of them reaches 18yo in 2035 & 2038 respectively.

3 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Ive done this for both my young children at Tomatin and got a photo with them holding the bottle.

Will keep until each of them reaches 18yo in 2035 & 2038 respectively.

Well done -I recommend all my friends to at least get a bottle that is the same age as their kids or if a new born - get a cask filled. It’s totally memorable.

On 18/04/2021 at 21:21, Comrie said:

Lagavaulin is 100% more smokey than peaty. It's vey different to the other distilleries on Islay.

Agree, but I don’t find Bowmore too peaty. 
but the Lagavulin 16 yo is superb. I spent a couple of weeks working on Islay 30 years ago.Most of the locals used to drink Grouse,,, until I was buying. Then it changed to Lagavulin 16 😂😅

Mrs Mathematics father has a cask of bruichladdich, given as a gift about 10 years ago. I’m really hoping I’ve been nice enough to him to get a bottle when he finally gets it bottled.
A cask? Jesus lol that's the dream.
Did the gifter pay the Duty also?!

honestly don’t know. Wouldn’t ask.
If its still in bond, then it wont have duty applied.

I looked at buying a cask with a few pals and family members last year.

The duty near doubles the price at almost £25 per litre of pure alcohol. You're talking £10k all in easily.

I'd still like to do it one day, 10 people put in say £500 and you've got 10 years to put aside another £500 to cover the tax.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

If its still in bond, then it wont have duty applied.

I looked at buying a cask with a few pals and family members last year.

The duty near doubles the price at almost £25 per litre of pure alcohol. You're talking £10k all in easily.

I'd still like to do it one day, 10 people put in say £500 and you've got 10 years to put aside another £500 to cover the tax.

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Out of interest, how many bottles does a cask yield roughly?

Depends on the size of cask and angels share but after say 10-12 years in a hogshead about a couple hundred. Bit less for a barrel.

Edited by GiGi

A sherry hogshead would be well over 300, probably around the 350 bottles unless you choose to bottle @ Cask Strength.

Its not cheap though, more of a sentimental thing rather than a plot to get some cheap Malt.

Arran have a cask offer on their website in which its all explained in detail.

On 16/04/2021 at 12:56, jimbaxters said:

Thanks. It's a few days away yet. After tasting Laphroig Ive shyed away from Isaly or peaty stuff. Am I wrong in doing that? Live in Italy so your tempting suggestion of a visit to the SMWS isn't an option unfortunately. The Milan online Whisky shop are doing some online tastings though. Do you think this looks good value based on the samples?

https://whiskyshop.it/it/eventi-degustazioni/2501/degustazione-on-line-octomore

Did this last night. Very interesting and I learned loads. The samples were from the Infrequent Flyers range and the owner Alistair Walker was there to explain each dram.  The Orkney 21 was officially from undisclosed distillery but everyone agreed it was Highland Park. That was my favourite although the panel all raved about the Bowmore 23yo. Peat was there in it but not overpowering. One lad commented that Alistair must have "big balls" to put such a nice whisky in Virgin Oak cask to finish. 

Cracked open a bottle of the Glenlivet Carribbean Reserve at the weekend.  Very enjoyable (very easy drinking, perhaps too easy) and much better once you can look beyond the appalling bright orange packaging & labelling.