whisky lovers

11 hours ago, kent_don said:

Do people use any of these taster subscriptions? Fees like it could be a good way to branch out and discover more?

I recently ordered 5 samples from master of malt, just before making the leap to buying full bottles, but have been considering a monthly sub as a treat to myself.

I did Pour and Sip for 2 months at the discounted intro price. Great value at £20, but not at £30 per month which is the full price. 

Virtual tastings are the way to go. They send you 5 drams or whatever in advance and you log on to zoom and someone extremely knowledgable talks you through. Pretty much every independent whisky shop is doing them now, the Good Spirits co ones in particular are excellent. Normally £25 for 5 drams and the chance to buy at the end of the night if you want to. 

12 hours ago, kent_don said:

Do people use any of these taster subscriptions? Fees like it could be a good way to branch out and discover more?

I recently ordered 5 samples from master of malt, just before making the leap to buying full bottles, but have been considering a monthly sub as a treat to myself.

Scotch Malt Whisky Society have very comprehensive service. It’s geared to a universal market. Can’t really comment - I’m fortunate to live within easy distance of their establishment.

On 15/04/2021 at 10:28, Bold Rover said:

I'm not a big lad, jb, but would suggest, for diversification, try an Islay single malt e.g. Lagavulin 18.

Is that not too peaty though? Tired laphroig and it can get in the sea.

On 15/04/2021 at 09:28, GiGi said:

Answer depends on a couple of things: budget and what you want the whisky for.

If it's for drinking I'd say grab a single cask bottle, I find them most interesting, or at least a tried-and-tested favourite like Glendronach 15/18/21, Bunnahabhain 18 etc.

If it's more of a trophy piece bottle for a cabinet that's another matter. See: Octomore, Glenmorangie Signet etc but expect these to run up well over £100.

That's a good question actually. Probably trophy cabinet describes it well but with the possibility of drinking. Might do both. It is a BIG birthday after all. Thanks

23 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Maybe try some of the other Distell owned Distilleries; Bunnahabhain or Tobermory (including Ledaig)

Arran is producing some top bottles too. You can get decent aged bottles, 20+ years in a presentation tin for sub £150.

I assume the first picks are in line with Deanston & Highland Park?

there's a shop near me with lots of Arran Whisky in it. I'll go have a look. Thanks

13 hours ago, BigTidy said:

As GiGi said, the real question is what are you wanting it for?

Opening immediately and sharing with people? Saving for when your close pals want a special dram? Sticking on the shelf and never opening? 

And what's the budget?

Probably closer to saving to drink with pals. Budget probably 100-150.

13 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

Well JB - happy birthday. Recommendations will no doubt be as diverse as possible. Personally I enjoy many of the Islay products - but cannot under circumstances get used to Laphroaig. I also struggle with the Brucladdich and sometimes. The Laphroaig scenario shouldn’t happen - Ardbeg and Lagavulin are within 2 miles of the dark peaty one but taste so much more akin to my palate. However Bowmore is King of the crop. For the big day - it may be worth considering a tasting glass lunch or diner session at the Scotch Malt Whisky  Society in Queen Street,  Edinburgh.  A tremendous experience in great surroundings with an amazing range of own casks!!!

very informative, great drink, tremendous food. Totally recommend it when able to visit. In the meantime Lagavulin 16yo or Bowmore Gold

Slanjè 

Thanks. It's a few days away yet. After tasting Laphroig Ive shyed away from Isaly or peaty stuff. Am I wrong in doing that? Live in Italy so your tempting suggestion of a visit to the SMWS isn't an option unfortunately. The Milan online Whisky shop are doing some online tastings though. Do you think this looks good value based on the samples?

https://whiskyshop.it/it/eventi-degustazioni/2501/degustazione-on-line-octomore

14 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's a good question actually. Probably trophy cabinet describes it well but with the possibility of drinking. Might do both. It is a BIG birthday after all. Thanks

there's a shop near me with lots of Arran Whisky in it. I'll go have a look. Thanks

Thanks. It's a few days away yet. After tasting Laphroig Ive shyed away from Isaly or peaty stuff. Am I wrong in doing that? Live in Italy so your tempting suggestion of a visit to the SMWS isn't an option unfortunately. The Milan online Whisky shop are doing some online tastings though. Do you think this looks good value based on the samples?

Peated whisky is an acquired taste I would say. Few people love them right off the bat so I wouldn't say chuck it altogether after trying Laphroaig. But I would steer clear of peat for your celebratory bottle if this is the case.

On that note for a cracking looking bottle that's a great drop once you open it, and in your budget, I'll go back to Glenmorangie Signet.

Sorry if I'm being a pest here but does Islay = peated or are there exceptions?
It varies enormously, even within the range of a distillery. Rule of thumb would be that Bunnahabhain is normally not terribly peated, the others mostly are.

Bunnahabhain is probably my current favourite Islay whisky, but Lagavulin 16 would be the classic favourite for me (heavy smoke bomb).

The taste of the two would never be confused.

11 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It varies enormously, even within the range of a distillery. Rule of thumb would be that Bunnahabhain is normally not terribly peated, the others mostly are.

Bunnahabhain is probably my current favourite Islay whisky, but Lagavulin 16 would be the classic favourite for me (heavy smoke bomb).

The taste of the two would never be confused.

Thanks pal. That's what I thought I had read on here before. Laguvulin sounds like it is not for me.

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I’d certainly be interested in the Bowmore. The Orkney is wee bit vague,,, there’s the 2 distilleries - Highland Park and Scalpy, just saying Orkney is a wee bit woolly.

Speaking as someone who does distillery trips 3 or 4 or 5 times a year, enjoys the product, has collection of 208 bottles to empty in ma house - it’s just whatever you enjoy. Frequently it’s that lesser known bottle around £25 which is truly delightful. I’ve got bottles up to £260 - which I think is expensive, but really isn’t. I still have to say when all is done and dusted, it’s just a fun pastime. I honestly think that too much is made out of all this Malt business. 
You’d be really really hard pushed to find a better product than the excellent Johnnie Walker Blue or Green labels. Absolutely first class !!!!

Try the Blue Label ... you won’t be disappointed.

Actually it’s that good, that at Gleneagles in the Dormie Clubhouse - they hold around 400 personal bottles of members Blue Label for their individual visits. Now do you think they’d do that for an inferior whisky. The entire room only holds Blue Label.

34 minutes ago, Boot Agent said:

I was thinkin of brewin my own whisky illegally but I have a question, should I really be tellin you lot?

Dinnae think the term brewin can be applied to whisky. Now Distilling is another world 

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Thanks pal. That's what I thought I had read on here before. Laguvulin sounds like it is not for me.

I know it’s all personal taste - but I don’t find Lagavulin or Bowmore peaty, Smokey yes. 

29 minutes ago, Boot Agent said:

No definitely brewin, my still consists of a big pot and  a whole lot of optimism.

Unsure if you are at it here, but be careful. Distilling is dangerous. If you can't identify and throw the foreshots away to f**k, you might die.

12 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

I’d certainly be interested in the Bowmore. The Orkney is wee bit vague,,, there’s the 2 distilleries - Highland Park and Scalpy, just saying Orkney is a wee bit woolly.

Speaking as someone who does distillery trips 3 or 4 or 5 times a year, enjoys the product, has collection of 208 bottles to empty in ma house - it’s just whatever you enjoy. Frequently it’s that lesser known bottle around £25 which is truly delightful. I’ve got bottles up to £260 - which I think is expensive, but really isn’t. I still have to say when all is done and dusted, it’s just a fun pastime. I honestly think that too much is made out of all this Malt business. 
You’d be really really hard pushed to find a better product than the excellent Johnnie Walker Blue or Green labels. Absolutely first class !!!!

Actually it’s that good, that at Gleneagles in the Dormie Clubhouse - they hold around 400 personal bottles of members Blue Label for their individual visits. Now do you think they’d do that for an inferior whisky. The entire room only holds Blue Label.

Christ, I have 55 bottles and thought I had a problem! 

On 16/04/2021 at 22:13, Malty Guy said:

I know it’s all personal taste - but I don’t find Lagavulin or Bowmore peaty, Smokey yes. 

Lagavaulin is 100% more smokey than peaty. It's vey different to the other distilleries on Islay.

On 16/04/2021 at 21:21, Malty Guy said:

Blue Label for me is the most overpriced and overhyped whisky going. Green Label is great value for money, Blue Label isn't that much better but puts you back more than double what I'd pay for it.

On 16/04/2021 at 21:21, Malty Guy said:

The Orkney is wee bit vague,,, there’s the 2 distilleries - Highland Park and Scalpy, just saying Orkney is a wee bit woolly.

Speaking as someone who does distillery trips 3 or 4 or 5 times a year, enjoys the product, has collection of 208 bottles to empty in ma house...

Yet you don't know about Scapa?

I'll just assume you polished off the latest bottle prior to posting that. 😉

13 hours ago, GiGi said:

Blue Label for me is the most overpriced and overhyped whisky going. Green Label is great value for money, Blue Label isn't that much better but puts you back more than double what I'd pay for it.

I think that’s what Whisky marketing is all about. Market and hype a product : the price it sky high.

But - I personally find all the Johnnie Walker products to be superb.

That Brazilian chap who donated the worlds biggest whisky collection to the Scotch Whisky Visitor Centre, Castlehill, Edin. He never ever drank anything except Red Label. He wasn’t daft