whisky lovers

I am unashamedly lured in by cool bottles and that bottle is sexy AF.

But I agree with the above. Would have been more tempted by finding out what the essence of the distillery is about rather than how much (admittedly delicious) red wine flavours they can jam into jt

On 01/04/2021 at 14:24, bernardblack said:

Still fairly new to whisky. Went from a laphroig to an Ardmore, liked both but preferred the latter. 
Anyone with any recommendations for what to try next?

Benromach 10 is a gem.  Dalwhinnie 15 is great value.  And almost anything by Bunnahabhain (Islay but not usually peaty).  If you're looking for a light dram, Glen Moray is actually really good despite the very low price point.

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Benromach 10 is a gem.  Dalwhinnie 15 is great value.  And almost anything by Bunnahabhain (Islay but not usually peaty).  If you're looking for a light dram, Glen Moray is actually really good despite the very low price point.

Have to agree Benromach 10 is a fine dram, certainly my favourite and you won't regret it. 

A question for the aficionados.

Does whisky change in the bottle. I have an A'bunadh 54 which had about a 1/4 left. I hadn't been to the bottle in 6-8 months.

Had a glass tonight and it was awesome. Not how i remember it.

So does the more air in a bottle change it?

Just now, beardy said:

A question for the aficionados.

Does whisky change in the bottle. I have an A'bunadh 54 which had about a 1/4 left. I hadn't been to the bottle in 6-8 months.

Had a glass tonight and it was awesome. Not how i remember it.

So does the more air in a bottle change it?

Short answer: yes

Right, I know you big lads like a challenge. I have a big birthday coming up and would like a quality bottle to celebrate. Still a relative novice so would like some pointers.

I do enjoy bourbons but in the Scotch world, I have really enjoyed Highland Park 12 and Deanston 12. I have a Deanston 18 sitting in storage for when the postage rules ease up and have been looking at Highland Park offerings but there are loads of them. I'm not stuck on these two distilleries but that's the depth of my experience so I am open to suggestions.

Over to you fellas. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Right, I know you big lads like a challenge. I have a big birthday coming up and would like a quality bottle to celebrate. Still a relative novice so would like some pointers.

I do enjoy bourbons but in the Scotch world, I have really enjoyed Highland Park 12 and Deanston 12. I have a Deanston 18 sitting in storage for when the postage rules ease up and have been looking at Highland Park offerings but there are loads of them. I'm not stuck on these two distilleries but that's the depth of my experience so I am open to suggestions.

Answer depends on a couple of things: budget and what you want the whisky for.

If it's for drinking I'd say grab a single cask bottle, I find them most interesting, or at least a tried-and-tested favourite like Glendronach 15/18/21, Bunnahabhain 18 etc.

If it's more of a trophy piece bottle for a cabinet that's another matter. See: Octomore, Glenmorangie Signet etc but expect these to run up well over £100.

1/4 year round up:

Couple of bottles of Aberlour 16 (a steal at £50)

Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold (present from sister, decent, not a patch on some of their aged products)

laphroig 10 (classic)

Aberlour 12 (very nice, not as good as the 16, but nice)

Tamnavulin double cask (meh)

penderyn Myth (meh)

Glenfiddich 12/15/18 (miniatures) (meh)

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I'm not a big lad, jb, but would suggest, for diversification, try an Islay single malt e.g. Lagavulin 18.

Maybe try some of the other Distell owned Distilleries; Bunnahabhain or Tobermory (including Ledaig)

Arran is producing some top bottles too. You can get decent aged bottles, 20+ years in a presentation tin for sub £150.

Do people use any of these taster subscriptions? Fees like it could be a good way to branch out and discover more?

I recently ordered 5 samples from master of malt, just before making the leap to buying full bottles, but have been considering a monthly sub as a treat to myself.

14 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

As GiGi said, the real question is what are you wanting it for?

Opening immediately and sharing with people? Saving for when your close pals want a special dram? Sticking on the shelf and never opening? 

And what's the budget?

On 15/04/2021 at 07:15, jimbaxters said:

Well JB - happy birthday. Recommendations will no doubt be as diverse as possible. Personally I enjoy many of the Islay products - but cannot under circumstances get used to Laphroaig. I also struggle with the Brucladdich and sometimes. The Laphroaig scenario shouldn’t happen - Ardbeg and Lagavulin are within 2 miles of the dark peaty one but taste so much more akin to my palate. However Bowmore is King of the crop. For the big day - it may be worth considering a tasting glass lunch or diner session at the Scotch Malt Whisky  Society in Queen Street,  Edinburgh.  A tremendous experience in great surroundings with an amazing range of own casks!!!

very informative, great drink, tremendous food. Totally recommend it when able to visit. In the meantime Lagavulin 16yo or Bowmore Gold

Slanjè 

Edited by Malty Guy
?!?

1 hour ago, kent_don said:

Do people use any of these taster subscriptions? Fees like it could be a good way to branch out and discover more?

I recently ordered 5 samples from master of malt, just before making the leap to buying full bottles, but have been considering a monthly sub as a treat to myself.

I've not done subscriptions but I've searched out a fair few taster packs in the last year of lockdown. Bought a few bottles on the back of them, but also probably saved myself a few quid by realising I didn't actually fancy a full bottle of some of them. I enjoy it, we do a zoom call with a few of us sampling the same pack and discuss the individual drams.