whisky lovers

Like I said, I'm only the messenger !

But the comments made above, about the Islay malt, were 2 of the same points I made to him, my other point was & I think its more relevant, I doesn't need to be one of the 8 traditional distilleries on the Island that produce it, knowing the poetic licence that Aldi & Lidl use to lure you in to buy their produce, it could be any distillery that is prepared to produce a sufficiently peated expression in their desired volumes.

When you think about it, there are some cracking smoky / peaty expressions from distilleries that are on the polar opposite side of Scotland to Islay, for instance, Balvenie do one, H P are another one, even Ardmore !!

Then you have the more likely candidates of either Tobermory or my suggestion ........ Ledaig, although that doesn't fit the age statement argument..   

The game continues !!!!!

Another question for the whisky lovers of P&B: 
Glencairn glass or something else?
Personally I’ve never liked the Glencairn glass, not really sure why. I prefer drinking whisky out of a more standard short glass. Something like this.

237764345?%24rsp-pdp-port-1440%24&key=a27818940ed4faaab0de419a233da4b0ca3f0a88544b329b8e5257c42a5b1412

I have they daft Norlan glasses. Full on whisky tourist gimmick... Were bought for me as a gift though and they are pretty cool. Other than that IDGAF really. The only other glass I have for whisky is an engraved first fathers day gift, a heavy bottomed effort.

I always think the big heavy cut crystal ones look cool as f**k to take a dram from.

I'm moving to another department at the end of the month and my 3 team members sent me up this unexpected bottle yesterday which I look forward to sampling. I'll take the initial enjoyment of my new Killie pint glass that also arrived before savouring that first nip [emoji482][emoji1634]1333151200_Image20(1).thumb.jpeg.45e487e664ae7e319507081b225ae0ca.jpeg

Anyone had Tomintoul? Been gifted the  significant remains of a bottle twice now and its clearly for a reason. Meh.

Last one was 16 yo and was flavourless. Another was a peated one by a pal on holiday and put it down to the peat and heat but think they might just be shit. Didnt buy either so cant really justify price point.

Edited by gannonball

8 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

0_unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.194bdac915c7b24ddbec9d0a34666a41.jpg

In all seriousness, canny be for the dishwasher!

Plastered all over it "Not suitable for dishwashers", schoolboy error !!

I bought it along with a "good" bottle, as a wee treat off a recent works bonus, but yes, I AGREE, a bit pretentious.  

Recently tried the Tomintoul Cigar Malt, it was one of the 5 Pour & Sip samples the other month, always thought Tomintoul was "mild & gray" if you know what i mean, but this was a game changer, most enjoyable, slanj !

29 minutes ago, B.K. said:

Recently tried the Tomintoul Cigar Malt, it was one of the 5 Pour & Sip samples the other month, always thought Tomintoul was "mild & gray" if you know what i mean, but this was a game changer, most enjoyable, slanj !

I'm on Pour and Sip too and that Cigar Malt was treeeemendous. Bit of a stretch at circa £70 for a non age statement though.

What's your thoughts on Pour and Sip? I like it, but find it a bit frustrating only being able to do 3 drams then another 2 a few days later.. I'd much rather enjoy them all in one session. 

Yes I know where your coming from, to be honest I've tried doing it a few different ways, but the last couple of months I've just blotted out a Thursday night as whisky club night and settled down on the couch with my samples and watching Kristi & Andy on YouTube on the big screen, then if I fancy another dram after their finished I just dip into my collection, fair passes the night !!

Fair enjoy P&S, its a great way to try samples in the comfort of your own home and with expert advice on hand without taking the cash & taste gamble in The Pot Still, Bon Accord, The Grill etc, lets face it, if you break it right down your "double" from P&S only costs you £6, no a bad return !!

Slanj !

Mr Tourette, can I assume, that like me, you are a subscriber to Pour & Sip, these drams were recent tastings and not the types you could wander out and buy a bottle of just anywhere.
For what its worth, I recently tasted the Swedish dram, Mackmyra, Gront Te (green tea) @ 46.1% and must say it was pretty enjoyable, not saying I would rush out and hunt a bottle down, just a very palatable drink !!

No, B.K, I’m not a P&S subscriber. I tried all of these foreign ones mentioned a few years ago when I had great fun trying to go through every one of Ian Buxton’s 101 whiskies to try before you die. They were all in the book

I didn’t manage to get through all 101 btw, still have about 50 to go

Been making my way through the Tobermory 12 past few weeks. For a standard 12 its decent enough. But given its at much the same price point as the deanston 12 in the  Distell group and more than Bunna 12 it would be my last to choose out of the 3. It is growing on me the more Im having it though.

Edited by gannonball

29 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Been making my way through the Tobermory 12 past few weeks. For a standard 12 its decent enough. But given its at much the same price point as the deanston 12 in the  Distell group and more than Bunna 12 it would be my last to choose out of the 3. It is growing on me the more Im having it though.

I think it's absolutely terrific. I genuinely couldn't choose out of a bunna 12, toby 12 or deanston 12. 

43 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I think it's absolutely terrific. I genuinely couldn't choose out of a bunna 12, toby 12 or deanston 12. 

Aye tbh Im Deanston and Bunna fan boy, its not quite as smooth as those two but will defo be keeping an eye out for Tobermory/Ledaig.

21 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Deanston, Bunnhabhain, Tobermory in that order but they're all good.

Would agree

Won four bottles in an auction there but didn't read the website properly beforehand (I know) and can't get them shipped to Italy. I've tried another courier but they think customs will send it back. Effin' Brexit! Any suggestions? 

My preference is to get them over here but if that's impossible I'm wondering about putting them back in the next auction. Is that a done thing?

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Not tried the other two yet but I'd say the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair (thank you, cut and paste) is up to the same standard as the Tobermory 12 as well. I'm enjoying both at the moment but of the two I think the Stiuireadair will more likely earn a regular spot on my already alarming Amazon subscription list. The Tobermory will probably be swapped out for Oban 14 or the two above options every couple of months.