whisky lovers

8 hours ago, B.K. said:

Wow, u may have unwittingly set up our next competition.

2 OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE SCALE that you have recently tasted !

You started with    Pendryn to Bunna 18

I give you   Haig Club to GlenDronach 15

Over to you lot.

An American entry;-

Aldi's Big Bird Bourbon to Wild Turkey Rare Breed 

7 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

From a World Cup perspective, can I propose Amrut (India), Mackmyra (Sweden) and Kavalan (Taiwan) as all being very drinkable? Also, Sullivan’s Cove (Tasmania) was very nice

See also Starward (Australia), Teerenpeli (Finland). 

Sullivans Cove gets amazing write ups but its ridiculously expensive. £250+ 

I once tried a Tasmanaian whisky (not expensive, about 40 quid*) a couple of years ago.

I cant remember the name, but it was fucking revolting. Absolutely vile.

*expensive considering cleaning wheels is about the only task I imagine it to be worthy of

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

See also Starward (Australia), Teerenpeli (Finland). 

Sullivans Cove gets amazing write ups but its ridiculously expensive. £250+ 

My brother was gifted a Sullivan’s Cove from his work. Said it was exceptionally good, so I’ll be seething if it’s finished before I’m allowed to visit again.

In terms of the World Cup, I’ll put in some foreign ones, but they’ll surely be knocked out fairly quick. It’s really going to be hard to choose the Scottish ones tbh as need to put in a mixture of the most popular but along with a few wildcards to keep it interesting.

9 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

From a World Cup perspective, can I propose Amrut (India), Mackmyra (Sweden) and Kavalan (Taiwan) as all being very drinkable? Also, Sullivan’s Cove (Tasmania) was very nice

Mr Tourette, can I assume, that like me, you are a subscriber to Pour & Sip, these drams were recent tastings and not the types you could wander out and buy a bottle of just anywhere.

For what its worth, I recently tasted the Swedish dram, Mackmyra, Gront Te (green tea) 46.1% and must say it was pretty enjoyable, not saying I would rush out and hunt a bottle down, just a very palatable drink !!

19 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s maybe a bit niche for the forum as there are not enough people actively interested in it, but would anyone be keen for a ‘Whisky World Cup’ poll for a bit of fun? 

I'm new in this sub-forum as only just found it - but that sounds fun!

12 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Mines is long gone emoji58.png

Looking forward to November when hopefully both Aldi and Lidl will release another each.

Don't shoot the messenger !!

I have a mate (also a whisky drinker) who from time to time works in and around the bottling halls at some of the drinks companies, he swears by the fact he was told a few xmas's back, that the discount supermarkets version of the Islay malt is Kilchoman & the Speyside expression is Tamnavulin.

On tasting, I can see where he's coming from, but have absolutely no proof, but I suppose that's another layer to the beauty of tasting, sampling & guessing, everybody will pick up something different. 

The old adage is "If you like it, its a good one"

On 10/03/2021 at 12:16, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm sceptical about Kilchoman being the source of Ben Bracken 16 released in 2020. The distillery didn't open until 2005.

Haha!  Maths aside, it's also pretty unlikely as Kilchoman is really small in terms of output, so I doubt they'd be repackaging their whisky into supermarket products.  Much more likely to be somewhere like Caol Ila.