whisky lovers

13 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

The Penderyn i got gifted is actually very drinkable. Anyone else acquainted?

Would never have picked it up (ridiculous bottle and my footballing hatred of the Welsh).... But i was wrong.

Standard (red) bottle is horrendous. Fire water (ironic because you know, dragon). The Madeira cask might save its reputation but not tried that one.

PENDERYN

I have only ever tried the slightly smoky one they have in their range, from memory its something like Gael or Celt or similar, but I have erased all memory of it, as it was a bit of a failed attempt at a full bodied dram, it just wasn't sure what it wanted to be !! 

Just poured the last dram of the Tobermory 12yo.

Really enjoyed it for the most part. Slightly annoying that the cork was breaking up and ending up with wee bits in the spirit from the start.

Have noticed this on Bunnahabhain and Deanston bottlings too so clearly a bad source for the cork. Why not just go for the plasticity ones!

PENDERYN
I have only ever tried the slightly smoky one they have in their range, from memory its something like Gael or Celt or similar, but I have erased all memory of it, as it was a bit of a failed attempt at a full bodied dram, it just wasn't sure what it wanted to be !! 
I think given that the Maderia is like £27 I'd maybe be tempted by another of the range in future. They use a weird faraday still which maybe explains why it's a bit different

On 26/02/2021 at 23:51, V.Aye.R said:

The Penderyn i got gifted is actually very drinkable. Anyone else acquainted?

Would never have picked it up (ridiculous bottle and my footballing hatred of the Welsh).... But i was wrong.

Apologies for the negativity in my first post on the whisky forum but Penderyn (think it was Myth) was the worst single malt I have ever tasted.  Really harsh stuff; no interesting tasting notes; short, burn-y finish.  My pal who had been gifted it for Christmas later told me he had poured most of it down the sink.

Currently enjoying Caol Ila Moch and my all-time fave, Bunna 18.

Apologies for the negativity in my first post on the whisky forum but Penderyn (think it was Myth) was the worst single malt I have ever tasted.  Really harsh stuff; no interesting tasting notes; short, burn-y finish.  My pal who had been gifted it for Christmas later told me he had poured most of it down the sink.
Currently enjoying Caol Ila Moch and my all-time fave, Bunna 18.

Compared to Bunna 18 and Caol Ila Moch, its nowhere close [emoji6]

9 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Compared to Bunna 18 and Caol Ila Moch, its nowhere close emoji6.png

Haha - OK, it's not a meaningful or fair comparison, I know. 

I really, really didn't like Penderyn though. Reminded me of Jura 10 on a very bad day.

Wow, u may have unwittingly set up our next competition.

2 OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE SCALE that you have recently tasted !

You started with    Pendryn to Bunna 18

I give you   Haig Club to GlenDronach 15

Over to you lot.

36 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s maybe a bit niche for the forum as there are not enough people actively interested in it, but would anyone be keen for a ‘Whisky World Cup’ poll for a bit of fun? 

I'm in

In the last week only; 

Best: North Star Chaos batch 1 

2nd best: Kavalan bourbon oak

Worst: Ben Bracken 16 (and that's no slight, it's still excellent) 

Now trying to think of a dram I've had and not enjoyed at least a little. Struggling actually. Mixer shite like haig club notwithstanding. 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s maybe a bit niche for the forum as there are not enough people actively interested in it, but would anyone be keen for a ‘Whisky World Cup’ poll for a bit of fun? 

Not sure why you got a reddy for that so I've evened it up. Sounds good to me. Can we all nominate a qualifier?

Just now, CountyFan said:

Not sure why you got a reddy for that so I've evened it up. Sounds good to me. Can we all nominate a qualifier?

No idea, looks like a dotting account from someone as they’ve gone through and red dotted several posts in random threads. Bizarre.

Okay cool, obviously there are so many different whiskies I’ll maybe do a distillery World Cup, as even that will have lord that miss out to get down to an initial 32 starting point!

Surely regional qualifiers to get into the main extravaganza. With the Lowlands and Campbeltown in their own Australasia/South America style play off to join the Big party.

Islay can be the first hosts with an automatic qualifier that can only play friendlies until the final 32 decided.

My half price Cardhu 12 from Tesco seems to be having an effect tonight, sorry [emoji4]

5 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Who's playing Bunnahabhain in the final?

Knowing us it'll be P&B darling and Distell sister, Deanston.