whisky lovers

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's the latter. Drink as much whisky as you can in as many different ways as you can.

Unpopular opinions but other than Islay peat bombs I think regional difference are sometimes overstated, and indeed other peat bombs are available.

Absolutely agree with this. Ben Riach do some very decent peaty numbers.

On 04/12/2020 at 22:06, the tungston weasel said:

Got a bottle of this for 23 pounds from the local tesco. Good enough to make me really want to try the 12 yo. Maby a little young but really sherried, lots of dried fruit and a bit of vanilla or toffee on the nose.

The taste is quite sweet with lots of christmasssy type spices then a lingering vanilla toffee.

Only down side is as my missus is isolating at home so I've got to stay at my work digs and all I have is a wine glass.

Look forward to trying it in a glencairn. 20201204_215730.jpg

You can quite often pick this up for £26 in your local Keystore if you have one near you. 

Hello folks. I’m new on here and indeed ,new to whisky. I had the virus October time and typically, my sense of taste was significantly affected. I like a drink, not a fussy drinker but had never taken to whisky. Things have changed!  Shortly after getting a taste for it my other half bought me a bottle of Ardmore. It was my first peaty dram, the bottle tells me it’s “lightly pleated” and whilst palatable I found it a little overpowering. Could anyone suggest something gentler, more entry level, if indeed such a thing exists.

Hello folks. I’m new on here and indeed ,new to whisky. I had the virus October time and typically, my sense of taste was significantly affected. I like a drink, not a fussy drinker but had never taken to whisky. Things have changed!  Shortly after getting a taste for it my other half bought me a bottle of Ardmore. It was my first peaty dram, the bottle tells me it’s “lightly pleated” and whilst palatable I found it a little overpowering. Could anyone suggest something gentler, more entry level, if indeed such a thing exists.
What were you enjoying that you got the taste for?

Entry Level has lots to choose from if you’re looking to avoid the peat. My first few bottles were fairly standard and i pretty much started on the following.

Glenfiddich 12
Glenmorangie 10
Cardhu 12 or Gold Reserve
Aberfeldy 12
Aberlour 10 or 12
Highland Park 12
Tamnavulin

You will always find at least 1 or 2 of them below £30 and they will all be relatively easy to drink for a starter.

On 04/12/2020 at 22:06, the tungston weasel said:

Got a bottle of this for 23 pounds from the local tesco. Good enough to make me really want to try the 12 yo. Maby a little young but really sherried, lots of dried fruit and a bit of vanilla or toffee on the nose.

The taste is quite sweet with lots of christmasssy type spices then a lingering vanilla toffee.

Only down side is as my missus is isolating at home so I've got to stay at my work digs and all I have is a wine glass.

Look forward to trying it in a glencairn. 20201204_215730.jpg

Managed to grab a bottle of the 12 y.o. For £30 on Amazon yesterday but I see it’s gone back up again today. Sorry...

I've never heard of That Boutique-y Whisky Company but was given this as a gift from someone I had done a favour. A splash of water really brought out the flavour- really delicious with lovely long finish. 20201219_210839.thumb.jpg.fb29b5c94efad35cef344a20f09f8b48.jpg

A slightly stronger Bunnahabhain 12. I need to try some of this.

Edit to add that I’ve just realised it’s 11yo.

I've never heard of That Boutique-y Whisky Company but was given this as a gift from someone I had done a favour. A splash of water really brought out the flavour- really delicious with lovely long finish. 20201219_210839.thumb.jpg.fb29b5c94efad35cef344a20f09f8b48.jpg
Must have been some favour! Those bottlings are always quite pricey at 50cl but have heard good things.

How much is a bottle of the above?
Looking for a recommendation for a bottle of whisky for my mates 40th in February. Thinking something a little different from the usual suspects.
Think you'd expect to pay around £75.

Depends how much you'd want to spend tbh, you can buy 'bottle your own' direct from distilleries and can personalise the label.

Tomatin are doing it, amongst others.

11 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Think you'd expect to pay around £75.

Depends how much you'd want to spend tbh, you can buy 'bottle your own' direct from distilleries and can personalise the label.

Tomatin are doing it, amongst others.

Was thinking something about the £50 mark tbh.

Was thinking something about the £50 mark tbh.

Bunnahabhain 12

Tobermory 12

Arran 10

Glendronach 12

All inside your budget and quality drams you wouldnt see in most supermarkets.

Edit - Redbreast 12 (Irish), though not sure if that would be well received in Bo'ness [emoji6]