whisky lovers

Bunnahabhain is my favourite, and the 12yo is pound for pound an absolute gem. Never without it. Going to have one now tbh.
You can buy the "Mòine" on amazon for £35.
Its nice to try a peated version and would buy again.

The 12 is the go to though I agree.

Deanston, Tobermory and Bunnahabhain 12yo are just fantastic all rounders

13 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I got it a few months ago and like it but picked up the 12 yo a little bit later and it's got more depth (although obviously it's more expensive) but that's really good value and better than most in that price bracket.

13 hours ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Bunnahabhain is my favourite, and the 12yo is pound for pound an absolute gem. Never without it. Going to have one now tbh.

Love the 12 y.o. and recently picked up one for £30 but it's long been pissed away. Never tried the Stiùreadair. Actually visited Bunnahabhainn in September but only the shop was open. I'm sure it's a big component of the Black Bottle blend which my old man was very fond of, and they probably didn't sell it as a single malt back then.

On 04/12/2020 at 13:01, The Holiday Song said:

This is a very newbie question, but what do folk generally find that the whiskies they like have in common (if anything in common at all)? Is it distillery, region, cask or something else?

Just having a PX cask dram which I'm really enjoying and wondering how much that plays into it.

I find it’s the variety that is enticing , so peaty one night , bourbon cask the next , and a sherried dram  for high days and holidays. It’s the exploration of new tastes different Sherry casks give different tastes , and don’t be fooled by colour , some of the nicest sherried drams with that full Christmas cake tastes have come in the palest of drams. And when you get Sherry with peat , that can be really nice ! 

The secret to whisky is easy... Is it owned by Distell?
If yes, it's generally terrific whisky and great value. 
Deanston, Tobermory, Bunnahabhain. How's that for a fucking line up. 

You may well say that just now, but Distell have only owned these for 5 years. So they are effectively “mining” what they bought from Burns Stewart, and these good whiskies are down to the previous regime.

Give it a few years and see if the standard remains as high.

46 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

You may well say that just now, but Distell have only owned these for 5 years. So they are effectively “mining” what they bought from Burns Stewart, and these good whiskies are down to the previous regime.

Very fair point. 

Its interesting that their master blender moved on (Kirstie Macallum) and left for. Glen Moray.

Her Linkedin Bio states previous employer as Burns Stewart. Read into that what you will.

Noticed in Lidl today that there was no Ben Bracken Islay 16 on the shelf.  Was it limited edition, or was this particular store just out of stock?  The lack of price sign along the shelves would suggest the former.  default_unsure.png

Sorry man, you missed the boat about 3 weeks ago.

Next year keep an eye out for Brochures and Online with both Lidl and Aldi.

If you stay tuned you'll see it coming, always well advertised but goes quick.

If you want one id recommend buying one on Scotch Whisky Auctions or similar. It wont go for much more than the original RRP

1 minute ago, V.Aye.R said:

Sorry man, you missed the boat about 3 weeks ago.

Next year keep an eye on in Flyers and Online with both Lidl and Aldi.

If you stay tuned you'll see it coming, always well advertised but goes quick.

If you want one id recommend buying one on Scotch Whisky Auctions or similar. It wont go for much more than the original RRP

At least I still have 1/3rd of a bottle about two feet away.

I’m going to go against the consensus on here and say I think Glenfarclas is overrated.

Having a little tasting just now of a few variations and whilst it’s undoubtedly decent enough value in terms of price, I just find most of their stuff generally quite bland, and feel like because of the price a lot of people overrate how nice the spirit actually is e.g. the 21 is nice, but absolutely nothing special.

33 minutes ago, Lex said:

Bunnahabhain 12 with a splash of water really hits the spot on a 3 point Saturday.

I'm about to pour a Naked Grouse or three whilst watching the imminent Sportscene highlights* on a no-defeat Saturday** 

*yes, I know I can just watch them online tomorrrow, but this re-found Saturday novelty reminds me of the 90s where as a kid you'd go to a game and try and spot yourself in the crowd that night.

**Brechin game was postponed

I’m going to go against the consensus on here and say I think Glenfarclas is overrated.
Having a little tasting just now of a few variations and whilst it’s undoubtedly decent enough value in terms of price, I just find most of their stuff generally quite bland, and feel like because of the price a lot of people overrate how nice the spirit actually is e.g. the 21 is nice, but absolutely nothing special.
I'm with you with the exception of the 15 which has a bit more bite.

I think their pricing is grounded at a time when others are taking the p!ss.

On 12/12/2020 at 20:58, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think their price points are why they are rated tbh. Whilst they may not reach the complexities of other distilleries drams they are right up there for your bang for your buck.

I also like the fact they seem stick to their bottling/labelling style to keep in with tradition and they don't come out with some ridiculous edition every month.

Is there a "science" behind what whiskies suit a drop of water? I will try it with most I have but usually find it makes the smell and taste less interesting and just more alcohol like (if that makes sense). But I had a Bowmore 18 the other day and thought the water really brought more flavours and depth out...

11 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Is there a "science" behind what whiskies suit a drop of water? I will try it with most I have but usually find it makes the smell and taste less interesting and just more alcohol like (if that makes sense). But I had a Bowmore 18 the other day and thought the water really brought more flavours and depth out...

Yes there is.

Apparently guaiacol molecules are pushed to the surface of the whisky by adding water which creates a more intense smell/flavour near the surface. Only works to a certain concentration though. Too much water and they are forced back to the bottom.

Basically you should be testing by adding drops at a time rather than running under the tap. 

Remember that non cask strength whisky had already been diluted, sometimes reducing the alcohol concentration by as much as 30%

48 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yes there is.

Apparently guaiacol molecules are pushed to the surface of the whisky by adding water which creates a more intense smell/flavour near the surface. Only works to a certain concentration though. Too much water and they are forced back to the bottom.

Basically you should be testing by adding drops at a time rather than running under the tap. 

Remember that non cask strength whisky had already been diluted, sometimes reducing the alcohol concentration by as much as 30%

That was informative, thanks.

But not strictly what I was wanting to know...!

I'm intrigued whether certain types of whisky (be it region, cask etc.) suit a drop of water compared to other types? I'm guessing stronger bottlings would have more room to "improve" but would it be possible to guess how a whisky will suit a drop of water, or is it just a case of trying? If it's the latter, that's perfectly fine, always enjoy the research!

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

That was informative, thanks.

But not strictly what I was wanting to know...!

I'm intrigued whether certain types of whisky (be it region, cask etc.) suit a drop of water compared to other types? I'm guessing stronger bottlings would have more room to "improve" but would it be possible to guess how a whisky will suit a drop of water, or is it just a case of trying? If it's the latter, that's perfectly fine, always enjoy the research!

It's the latter. Drink as much whisky as you can in as many different ways as you can.

Unpopular opinions but other than Islay peat bombs I think regional difference are sometimes overstated, and indeed other peat bombs are available.