whisky lovers

Tobermory is shut except for the shop but they gave us two wee tasters in the shop which was kind of them. Bought a standard Tobermory 12yo and a couple of tasters of the good stuff at £10 per nip... wasnt going to get away with another expensive bottle! 

Tobermory is shut except for the shop but they gave us two wee tasters in the shop which was kind of them. Bought a standard Tobermory 12yo and a couple of tasters of the good stuff at £10 per nip... wasnt going to get away with another expensive bottle! 

Tobermory are (or used to be) one of the only distilleries who won’t deliver. A few years ago, they did a 15yo sherry finish which was fantastic. I bought a bottle at the distillery and was so impressed I called them up a month later and asked to buy 6 bottles. They said ok but I had to collect them at the distillery. I offered to pay the shipping to Inverness but they wouldn’t have it. Said I had to come to Mull to collect (I didn’t)

Pain in the arse because that expression is no more

On 06/09/2020 at 22:51, Mr Tourette said:

Tobermory are (or used to be) one of the only distilleries who won’t deliver. A few years ago, they did a 15yo sherry finish which was fantastic. I bought a bottle at the distillery and was so impressed I called them up a month later and asked to buy 6 bottles. They said ok but I had to collect them at the distillery. I offered to pay the shipping to Inverness but they wouldn’t have it. Said I had to come to Mull to collect (I didn’t)

Pain in the arse because that expression is no more

They do online deliveries now: 

https://tobermorydistillery.com

We are officially in to rebrand season. Glengoyne announced this week, it looks meh. Hopefully they dont f**k with the expressions, the 12yo in particular is ridiculously good value.

Glenturret are releasing a new core range tomorrow, looks interesting. Again a rebrand but I think there are some new releases for their core range which might be interesting. 

13 hours ago, CountyFan said:

We are officially in to rebrand season. Glengoyne announced this week, it looks meh. Hopefully they dont f**k with the expressions, the 12yo in particular is ridiculously good value.

Glenturret are releasing a new core range tomorrow, looks interesting. Again a rebrand but I think there are some new releases for their core range which might be interesting. 

I see BenRiach and Benromach have helpfully chosen similar fonts in their rebrandings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2020 at 22:29, just me 2 said:

IMG_0327.jpgabsolute nightmare. Anybody know why this happened and how long will this bottle last till it’s tasting of cork

Do you store it on its side? Apologies if I'm telling you something obvious that you already know, but whisky should be stored upright, total opposite of wine. 

On 05/10/2020 at 21:38, CountyFan said:

Do you store it on its side? Apologies if I'm telling you something obvious that you already know, but whisky should be stored upright, total opposite of wine. 

What is the reasoning behind this? I do store mine upright more for display purposes really but do corks not usually crack because they are dry so would be better storing on the side?

Contact with high strength alcohol can degrade the cork apparently. Was told this at a tasting but it may well be shite. 

Unlike wine, whisky doesn't age in the bottle and wont spoil if sealed. Presumably again because of the high alcohol content. You are right that wine is stored on its side to prevent the cork drying out. 

Yeah the cork will disintegrate a lot faster storing it on its side. I've heard it said that every few months you should tilt the bottle and wet the cork to stop it from drying out but I've never done that and never had an issue with any corks breaking down and some bottles I've had sitting for a couple of years. My stepdad must have had the same bottle of whisky open in his house for about 5 years and it never gets touched unless I fancy one.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Yeah the cork will disintegrate a lot faster storing it on its side. I've heard it said that every few months you should tilt the bottle and wet the cork to stop it from drying out but I've never done that and never had an issue with any corks breaking down and some bottles I've had sitting for a couple of years. My stepdad must have had the same bottle of whisky open in his house for about 5 years and it never gets touched unless I fancy one.

What kind is it?

Do this tilting regularly, once a month easily.
Mainly to protect bottles for the long term. The cork will shrink if dry and the alcohol will escape. You will notice the fill level starts to drop quite considerably.