whisky lovers

I was in Pot Still yesterday

As above really good set up and table service. Only pain was you couldn't get the whisky menu but guys were happy to chat through and make recommendations. I went for the Blair Atholl 10 yo.

Only issue was not a lot of draught on so no Drygates and had to make do with T and Heverlee 

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was in Pot Still yesterday

As above really good set up and table service. Only pain was you couldn't get the whisky menu but guys were happy to chat through and make recommendations. I went for the Blair Atholl 10 yo.

Only issue was not a lot of draught on so no Drygates and had to make do with T and Heverlee 

Coincidentally my boy got the same one. Too smoky for me. Very knowledgeable in there.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I was given a bottle of Belgian whisky, "Owl". Fairly impressed.

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

12 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

You get gift packs like this but its an expensive way to buy whisky https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/13586/talisker-gift-pack-3x20cl?source=&gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMctZwat6Y3oa17du2dRqq6W-ptLrgNCCKoXBLWMLCgc6S6hOuCH1GxoCevEQAvD_BwE

14 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Cadenheads do some 200 ml bottles for around £20-£30. They change all the time but a decent opportunity to try something different. Need to visit the shop though, either Royal Mile or Campbeltown. 

Alternatively, find 6 like minded souls and split the cost of a bottle between you and decant into 100ml bottles

6 hours ago, BigTidy said:

Cadenheads do some 200 ml bottles for around £20-£30. They change all the time but a decent opportunity to try something different. Need to visit the shop though, either Royal Mile or Campbeltown. 

Alternatively, find 6 like minded souls and split the cost of a bottle between you and decant into 100ml bottles

Aye, Cadenheads shop will deliver but it's extortionate. Something like a tenner for a bottle or twenty for 2-6 bottles.

20 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

The 'taster pack' bottles tend to be from the same distillery family and as mentioned, is a relatively expensive way to do it.

Master of Malt will do measures of 'packs' or you can select your own samples

https://www.masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/drinks-by-the-dram/regions-of-scotland-whisky-tasting-set/?utm_content=drinks-by-the-dram/regions-of-scotland-whisky-tasting-set&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsuGsk_2V6wIVOYBQBh1_wQEaEAQYASABEgJUBfD_BwE

Cgars do a monthly subscription if you fancy that

https://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/cigarblog/whisky-subscription-6639/

But to be honest, I started by buying the distillers age statements from supermarkets that were discounted to around the £25 mark, and kept my eye out for deal of the day on amazon at around the same price mark, free delivery

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=gbps_ftr_s-4_0ae6_wht_35858303?tag=22&gb_f_todaysdeals=dealStates:AVAILABLE%2CWAITLIST%2CWAITLISTFULL%2CUPCOMING%2CEXPIRED%2CSOLDOUT,dealTypes:DEAL_OF_THE_DAY%2CLIGHTNING_DEAL%2CBEST_DEAL,sortOrder:BY_SCORE,enforcedCategories:358583031&pf_rd_p=332a3804-7d7f-4c59-934d-6b61bbbc6e70ae6&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=KG4JJ68AJCWRJ5SYWCCV&ie=UTF8

In Tobermory today and picked up the Bordeaux  cask Ledaig. Interestingly has been in the Bordeaux cask for full ten years as opposed to being finished in it.

Probably would have preferred to try this without the added complication of peat but looking forward to it as a winter whisky 

On 19/08/2020 at 23:07, invergowrie arab said:

In Tobermory today and picked up the Bordeaux  cask Ledaig. Interestingly has been in the Bordeaux cask for full ten years as opposed to being finished in it.

Probably would have preferred to try this without the added complication of peat but looking forward to it as a winter whisky 

I'm away to Oban next week for a few days on account of the fact that Europe is fucking shut. Doing the tour at Oban obvs. Is the ferry to Tobermory ok at the moment for non-residents? Last thing I want to be is an unwanted tourist. Assuming it is I'll stop in at Tobermory distillery too. 

Had a few too many drams last night for a school night but rather enjoyed myself. Yamazaki distillers edition (tastes like strawberries), Sirius 31 yo and one of my all time favourites, Longmorn 16 to finish it off. Sare heid today was worth it. 

30 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I'm away to Oban next week for a few days on account of the fact that Europe is fucking shut. Doing the tour at Oban obvs. Is the ferry to Tobermory ok at the moment for non-residents? Last thing I want to be is an unwanted tourist. Assuming it is I'll stop in at Tobermory distillery too. 

Had a few too many drams last night for a school night but rather enjoyed myself. Yamazaki distillers edition (tastes like strawberries), Sirius 31 yo and one of my all time favourites, Longmorn 16 to finish it off. Sare heid today was worth it. 

Ferry is fine. Loads of tourists about but I would say not worth trip if distillery is your only reason for going. You get 15 minutes in the shop and a couple of samples and that's it.

Ferry was booked solid for all of last week so worth booking ahead if you are going with a car.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ferry is fine. Loads of tourists about but I would say not worth trip if distillery is your only reason for going. You get 15 minutes in the shop and a couple of samples and that's it.

Ferry was booked solid for all of last week so worth booking ahead if you are going with a car.

Yeah I'll just pop into the shop at tobermory, I think 2 distillery trips will be pushing it. We will be on foot, just a day trip to tobermory I think rather than a proper spin round Mull. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oban was great. Friendly staff, know what they are talking about. 4 nips (14yo, little bay NAS, distillers reserve and distillery exclusive bottling) and an hour of chat for £17.50. Very reasonable. 

Bought a bottle of distillers reserve at 65 quid. It retails at 70 but they gave us a 5 pound off voucher and also a free glencairn glass with Oban branding. The distillers edition is a regular 14yo (white oak cask) which is finished for a year or so in a sherry cask. It was very nice indeed, looking forward to getting it home. 

The distillery exclusive bottling was also good but at £150 it just wasnt worth it. I actually preferred the distillers edition that I ended up buying anyway. The exclusive bottling was really peppery and tasted young for some reason. They also were selling the GoT stuff but thankfully weren't peddling it, I think they know its shite. 

Going to Tobermory tomorrow so will see what they have going on.