whisky lovers

42 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Further to my bourbon comment, I was in Glasgow for a few days this week and ended up in American NY Grill in Princes Square due to a lack of places accepting walk-in's. Unexpectedly, they have a decent range of bourbons in there. The lads were knowledgable about them and enjoyed making me a few old fashioneds with various mixes of bourbons and ryes. 

Also went to The Pot Still and the good people there recommended a Balblair Highland Single Malt 10 YO Gordon & Macphail which was fabulous.  

Im a big fan of Balblair, you used to get that bottle for 30 quid years ago but I think its hard to get anywhere now. I have had a bottle and of their new standard 12 and 15 and both were nice, 15 especially. I have had a few others over the years and have yet to have a meh one tbh.

I was going to shown off my new bookshelves too but now I'm worried I might get bullied because one of them

20200722_211313.thumb.jpg.96fc7fe894c4b267884e1c81d10ef94b.jpg

No bullying here. Im getting a bottle a month and trying to replicate such bookshelf. [emoji23][emoji23]. Bought santori that japanese whiskey. Better buying dishwater.

I've only tried Japanese whisky the once (I can't remember what it was) and it was really nice. I have been thinking of trying some more. Try this and let me know. Cheers. [emoji846]
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/36362/suntory-toki
Under £30 and free for click and collect.

Bought this in Asda a few weeks ago. A friend took a dram if it and stated piss water tasted better. Not the best for me.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Im a big fan of Balblair, you used to get that bottle for 30 quid years ago but I think its hard to get anywhere now. I have had a bottle and of their new standard 12 and 15 and both were nice, 15 especially. I have had a few others over the years and have yet to have a meh one tbh.

Bought one last week in the Inveraray Co-op £34.99. They had the G&M Balblair 12 for £49.99 and another 10 yo (can't remember which). Co-op Lochgilphead had them too. If you're ever over that way have a wee look.

8 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Bought one last week in the Inveraray Co-op £34.99. They had the G&M Balblair 12 for £49.99 and another 10 yo (can't remember which). Co-op Lochgilphead had them too. If you're ever over that way have a wee look.

Jammy bar steward, passed Inverary the other week when doing munros and didnt bother stopping as the main whisky shop was closed. 
Although I did finally collect this from an auction house today after having my memory jogged on here. An oldish bottle but wont be an old whisky, however was < 35 quid after charges etc.

image.jpg

Edited by gannonball

Further to my bourbon comment, I was in Glasgow for a few days this week and ended up in American NY Grill in Princes Square due to a lack of places accepting walk-in's. Unexpectedly, they have a decent range of bourbons in there. The lads were knowledgable about them and enjoyed making me a few old fashioneds with various mixes of bourbons and ryes. 
Also went to The Pot Still and the good people there recommended a Balblair Highland Single Malt 10 YO Gordon & Macphail which was fabulous.  
The pot still is a fantastic pub! I remember the barman helping me to pick out a whiskey from every distillery on or near the Highland main line after telling him that I'd been driving it all week. I say I remember, probably more along the lines of I know it happened rather than really remembering much!

Which Balblair is it they have? I'm looking out the window across Loch Gilp at the moment so might pop in tomorrow, always need to get something in the Co anyway.

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
17 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Which Balblair is it they have? I'm looking out the window across Loch Gilp at the moment so might pop in tomorrow, always need to get something in the Co anyway.

Both shops had the G&M 10 and 12 early last week. The 10 looks like an old-fashioned bottling, there weren't many on the shelf. The 12 looks like a modern bottling (along with the other distillery 10yo that I can't remember), there was plenty of those. They're on an aisle end facing back of shop, like they do with 2-for-1 bog rolls etc.

22 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 07/08/2020 at 14:23, Peedzy said:

Did you get one?

On 07/08/2020 at 08:41, jimbaxters said:

How is it handling the restrictions exactly? I can't think of a pub in Glasgow that was as regularly overrun with customers pre-pandemic and it's got a really awkward space to deal with as well.

On 07/08/2020 at 14:29, gannonball said:

Jammy bar steward, passed Inverary the other week when doing munros and didnt bother stopping as the main whisky shop was closed. 
Although I did finally collect this from an auction house today after having my memory jogged on here. An oldish bottle but wont be an old whisky, however was < 35 quid after charges etc.

image.jpg

Which auction house do you use?

On 07/08/2020 at 12:54, invergowrie arab said:

I had the Suntori Toki last Saturday. It's perfectly nice whisky but I think it's over priced at 30.

Talking of 30 Talisker 10 is 15 quid off in Tesco down to 30 and they have an Ardbeg (cant remeber which) down to 38

I remember when Ardbeg got up and running and it was lovely and a reasonable price but it is rarely under £30 now, even on a special offer. I miss it.

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

How is it handling the restrictions exactly? I can't think of a pub in Glasgow that was as regularly overrun with customers pre-pandemic and it's got a really awkward space to deal with as well.

I refuse to believe a good single malt wouldn’t comfortably see off a shitey virus like Covid. Pack them in...

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

It was 3.30pm so it was quietish. Hand sanitiser and contact details taken at the door and we were told toilets were one at a time.The staff showed us to a table and we stayed there and paid there. All good!

12 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It was 3.30pm so it was quietish. Hand sanitiser and contact details taken at the door and we were told toilets were one at a time.The staff showed us to a table and we stayed there and paid there. All good!

I delivered to The Pot Still the day after restrictions were lifted and they looked like they were well placed.

Many years ago when I worked in the print trade I supplied the ink for Chivas Regal cartons and labels but never actually tasted the stuff until my son gave me a bottle the other day.
Really pleasant, easy drinking dram.
Will probably replace J&B as my blend of choice for those occasions when a good malt is not required.