whisky lovers

I saw that program too, I'm pretty sure the winter's gold was used as an introductory dram for what was clearly a non whisky drinker. I'd like to think that if you advised them in advance that you have a more refined whisky palate then they would adjust it accordingly!

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

I've donated my body to science for this one too. 

Be interested to know what you think. I've spoilered it just in case you want to tackle it free of my prejudice one way or the other. 

Reveal hidden contents

Not that good really. The nose is quite peppery and it's hard to find anything sweet or malty coming through. Touch of cereal comes out with water. Palate is very spicy with or without water and a little bit grainy too, more like a bourbon. Think Jim Beam specifically. Finish short and woody, bit of raw barley and maybe the slightest hint of hops while still being dry and hot. Overall just a bit young and I don't think the stout finish does it any favours. 

20200723_155800.thumb.jpg.1a3cc4a7e7238d03e3bfa4af1fe23817.jpg

I'll not read the review yet then.

Did it arrive in a Deanston box, or just the nudey bottle?

3 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

I'll not read the review yet then.

Did it arrive in a Deanston box, or just the nudey bottle?

Just a bottle with this one.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I visited Oban today. Nice of them to put the distillery in the town centre. It would almost be rude not to- I'll let you know my thoughts when I open it later. 20200723_210839.jpg

I was there last week, it was shut. Gutted.

On 21/07/2020 at 21:02, gannonball said:

Heads up Deanstonites there is a stout cask edition thats currently exclusive to Amazon.

I have no idea how it tastes and there is no real online reviews yet but its 50.5% might be worth a punt for 45 quid delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deanston-Dragons-Finish-Highland-Single/dp/B08BZ6BZ2S

ETA - appears to only be 8 yo though. I have ordered a bottle but wont be home for a week but will post what I make of it when I try it.

Having it the now and quite like it tbh. Can tell its young but with the stout finish it almost gives it a thickness to it that masks it and just gives it a nice wee wee kick. Different, wont be up everyone’s street but found it infinitely better than the Kentucky cask which is the only other NAS one I have had from them I think. 
You might get better bottles for 45 quid but I find it decent enough for the price 

Edited by gannonball

7 hours ago, Cairn Terrier said:

IMG_0527.jpg

26 year old (small) sample of Bladnoch.

Might try it later.

That was my one gripe on the pre lockdown distillery tour - Bladnoch was the most miserable wee dram on the tour , one malt , one blend , come on folks you can do better 

What do you big lads think about bourbons?

During lockdown i made a decision out of boredom to start trying more bourbons or rums. I chose the latter. I do enjoy a bourbon though but only had the standard stuff you get in bars. Only advice i could give is avoid Honey Wild Turkey.

I have a terrific eagle rare ten yo. Think it was around the £45 mark. Its very nice indeed but I haven't found a bourbon yet that offers the complexity of some of my favourite malts. Haven't tried nearly enough of it mind, but I'd always just rather have a malt. Says more about me than bourbons, I'm certain there are some very special ones indeed. 

Further to my bourbon comment, I was in Glasgow for a few days this week and ended up in American NY Grill in Princes Square due to a lack of places accepting walk-in's. Unexpectedly, they have a decent range of bourbons in there. The lads were knowledgable about them and enjoyed making me a few old fashioneds with various mixes of bourbons and ryes. 

Also went to The Pot Still and the good people there recommended a Balblair Highland Single Malt 10 YO Gordon & Macphail which was fabulous.