whisky lovers

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Any reviews on Jura 12 please?

Give it to me as a present I'll drink but would not go looking for it to buy. 

If you want to try out some whisky then you might want to try some miniatures or something like this -

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/7835/bowmore-classic-collection-3x20cl

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/7627/classic-malts-coastal-collection-3x20cl

You can then compare without splashing out too much cash.

On 06/07/2020 at 12:10, jimbaxters said:

Took your advice, lads.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5e39839d86862b4ad73499b11e2f36e.jpeg

I shall report!

Promises delivered.

This is a very nice dram. Not an expert by any manner of means but very smooth and balanced. Not sure whether it was a good or bad thing to reading the tasting notes on the box before I had a sip because I really did smell gingerbread.

All in all I am thoroughly pleased with myself for taking your advice. Cheers lads!

The Ardmore Legacy recommended on here was right up my alley.  A really decent, affordable dram with more than a hint of smokiness.  

Is it just me, or is the Flaviar thing that pops up on Facebook every twenty minutes an absolutely scandalous theft?  Seventy five quid a quarter for three tasters and a bottle of blended crap?

Finally sorted out a place for my bottles to live and roughly categorised them. I'll need to drain a few before I buy anything else though. Stuck in a spoiler as might be slightly erotic to some.

Spoiler

Z1x2OIL.jpg

Heads up Deanstonites there is a stout cask edition thats currently exclusive to Amazon.

I have no idea how it tastes and there is no real online reviews yet but its 50.5% might be worth a punt for 45 quid delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deanston-Dragons-Finish-Highland-Single/dp/B08BZ6BZ2S

ETA - appears to only be 8 yo though. I have ordered a bottle but wont be home for a week but will post what I make of it when I try it.

Edited by gannonball

Finally sorted out a place for my bottles to live and roughly categorised them. I'll need to drain a few before I buy anything else though. Stuck in a spoiler as might be slightly erotic to some.
Spoiler

Z1x2OIL.jpg&key=c8664d53be60f5eb3ff2602535302c41271435ae91ae07fc126cbddea2789b5e

That's quite a selection you've got there. I don't have anywhere near enough space to even dream of a collection like that.

As an aside, I watched a bit on the programme about the Torridon Hotel tonight and they had, at first glance, an amazing whisky bar. On closer inspection they appeared to be serving the foreign tourists things like Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold. I'm sure they had some incredible stuff but seemed to be bulking it out with stuff you'd pick up in the supermarkets for £20.

17 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That's quite a selection you've got there. I don't have anywhere near enough space to even dream of a collection like that.

As an aside, I watched a bit on the programme about the Torridon Hotel tonight and they had, at first glance, an amazing whisky bar. On closer inspection they appeared to be serving the foreign tourists things like Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold. I'm sure they had some incredible stuff but seemed to be bulking it out with stuff you'd pick up in the supermarkets for £20.

I used to work in that hotel and the selection is tremendous. They have a few cheap and cheerful drams but an aficionado would find plenty in there to enjoy. That's where my interest in whisky really started to be honest. 

55 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I used to work in that hotel and the selection is tremendous. They have a few cheap and cheerful drams but an aficionado would find plenty in there to enjoy. That's where my interest in whisky really started to be honest. 

The manager there is a County fan.   It’s a lovely place to go and drink away your money.  Some of their rarities are rare indeed.  I did notice the whisky tasting they offered the Canadian couple were of the lower end, such as the aforementioned (and decidedly mediocre) Winter’s Gold.   

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The manager there is a County fan.   It’s a lovely place to go and drink away your money.  Some of their rarities are rare indeed.  I did notice the whisky tasting they offered the Canadian couple were of the lower end, such as the aforementioned (and decidedly mediocre) Winter’s Gold.   

I was the sole county fan working there at the time although it was a decade ago that I worked there. They used to have tastings at different price points, assume it's the same now. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If it's tourists who don't know much about whisky I'd probably start them off near the bottom of the ladder as well. No point giving them something decent at a tenner a half if they would enjoy a bottom shelf whisky about the same.

Plus someone's got to drink that shite.

On 21/07/2020 at 21:02, gannonball said:

Heads up Deanstonites there is a stout cask edition thats currently exclusive to Amazon.

I have no idea how it tastes and there is no real online reviews yet but its 50.5% might be worth a punt for 45 quid delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deanston-Dragons-Finish-Highland-Single/dp/B08BZ6BZ2S

ETA - appears to only be 8 yo though. I have ordered a bottle but wont be home for a week but will post what I make of it when I try it.

Cheers, I'll be trying that

18 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Cheers, I'll be trying that

I've donated my body to science for this one too. 

Be interested to know what you think. I've spoilered it just in case you want to tackle it free of my prejudice one way or the other. 

Spoiler

Not that good really. The nose is quite peppery and it's hard to find anything sweet or malty coming through. Touch of cereal comes out with water. Palate is very spicy with or without water and a little bit grainy too, more like a bourbon. Think Jim Beam specifically. Finish short and woody, bit of raw barley and maybe the slightest hint of hops while still being dry and hot. Overall just a bit young and I don't think the stout finish does it any favours. 

20200723_155800.thumb.jpg.1a3cc4a7e7238d03e3bfa4af1fe23817.jpg

19 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:
20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was going to shown off my new bookshelves too but now I'm worried I might get bullied because one of them

20200722_211313.jpg

What Bunnahabhain is the one on the right of the Bunnas?

49 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Exactly what I was about to ask!

I don't mind Winters Gold. It's very drinkable for what it is, a cheap supermarket aisle end promotion bottle. I'll almost certainly have one in a cupboard somewhere.

Indeed, but I’d be furious if I went on a whisky tasting course at the Torridon and that’s what they gave me.  It’s the stuff they give out for free on the distillery tour.