whisky lovers

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Has anyone had a Kingsbarn before? 

No as not actuallly seen it  anywhere. Just checked their website though and they're selling young NAS whisky for £45 a bottle and a 3 year old single cask for £75 a bottle.

Think I'll wait a while before trying.

9 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I don't know. Photo your bottle.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

No as not actuallly seen it  anywhere. Just checked their website though and they're selling young NAS whisky for £45 a bottle and a 3 year old single cask for £75 a bottle.

Think I'll wait a while before trying.

Aye I've not actually got any, more a case of that the distillery is from Fife so was just wondering if it's any good. 

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/kingsbarns/kingsbarns-dream-to-dram-whisky/?utm_content=kingsbarns/kingsbarns-dream-to-dram-whisky&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoPL2BRDxARIsAEMm9y8rjtZh7oyTyy_inep9xeAIi_cZRI5wjxcljCl9IvdTPbXemB8wfa4aAvQWEALw_wcB

11 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Has anyone had a Kingsbarn before? 

On 14/02/2020 at 20:19, invergowrie arab said:

Got given a bottle of the Kingsbarns single malt. NAS but I think it's probably 3 or 4 years old. 

Quite sweet and you can tell it's young but not that young. At 45 quid a bottle you can get similar whisky signifcantly cheaper e.g. it's not a million miles of a chivas 

I would say it's likely to be one to watch when older expressions come out though 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Cheers matey, what do people mean when they're using NAS? 

Normally but not always means the whisky is quite young and it doesn't have a stated age on the bottle. 

Whisky snobs will tell you NAS = shite but that's not always the case. 

With Kingsbarns and other distilleries like it, they dont have any spirit old enough yet to properly release what will eventually be their core range - like a 10, 12 year old etc. So lots of folk will be really interested to see what they eventually come up with, but wont be particularly keen to try anything just yet. 

Just to add to what county fan says a single malt can have many different ages of whisky in it. The stated age on the bottle must be the age of the youngest whisky in the blend (yes single malts are blends too but blends from a single distillery).

So if a whisky is a blend of 10, 12, and 18 yo whisky it's a 10yo.

If a whisky is 90% 10 yo and 10 % 4 yo it's a 4yo whisky and nobody is going to pay a premium for 4 yo whisky so they get released as NAS.

As Kingsbarns is only a few years old its likely that their single malt is entirely 3 or 4 yo.

Whisky that young does tend to be a bit harsh so that's what people will be alluding to when they say it tastes young.

It's not entirely unreasonable to suppose NAS is the Tesco value lasagne of whisky as some distilleries in recent years have moved from an age statement to a NAS with a real drop in quality (I'm looking at you MacCallan Gold).

However, you do get some excellent stuff. I have had a 3 yo from the cask at Lagavulin which is good as anything I have had from Islay and I would happily sit and quaff the new make spirirt from Harris all day long.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Picked up one these at £70 today on a sale. Apparently it didn't last long.

Older Auchentoshan I've tried has been good and very distinct, they seem to do really well with age where their younger stuff is a bit rough. Will report back.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/auchentoshan/auchentoshan-21-year-old-1997-cask-13130-old-particular-douglas-laing-whisky/?srh=1

Edited by GiGi

29 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Picked up one these at £70 today on a sale. Apparently it didn't last long.

Older Auchentoshan I've tried has been good and very distinct, they seem to do really well with age where their younger stuff is a bit rough. Will report back.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/auchentoshan/auchentoshan-21-year-old-1997-cask-13130-old-particular-douglas-laing-whisky/?srh=1

It’s only 50 cl , though , - still I like auchentoshan and am interested how it turns out 

Their ambassador did a tasting at a hotel local to me so took my dad who is a fan of them. Anyway we got to try their usual core stuff (which I wasn't massively fussed about) but he kept dropping that there will be something ‘a bit different/special at the end’. Was thinking Im going to get some good shit here but he came out with a whisky beer cocktail for us all to try and every c**t in the place was seething including myself and my father. They were in the process of trying to market there whisky more in to trendy bars but it went down like lead baloon.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Their ambassador did a tasting at a hotel local to me so took my dad who is a fan of them. Anyway we got to try their usual core stuff (which I wasn't massively fussed about) but he kept dropping that there will be something ‘a bit different/special at the end’. Was thinking Im going to get some good shit here but he came out with a whisky beer cocktail for us all to try and every c**t in the place was seething including myself and my father. They were in the process of trying to market there whisky more in to trendy bars but it went down like lead baloon.

They do the same thing on their distillery tour, same effect.

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

It’s only 50 cl , though , - still I like auchentoshan and am interested how it turns out 

I cancelled my order once I realised it was a 50cl bottle, didn't notice until I'd ordered it.

4 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

I cancelled my order once I realised it was a 50cl bottle, didn't notice until I'd ordered it.

Ive nearly been caught out with that at an airport before. Cant remember which distillery but Seemed to be good value and wasn't until I was in the queue to buy it I noticed it was 50cl but packaging was same size of other 70cl, must of even had a heavy bottle in it too.

Edited by gannonball

I'm ok with the whisky/beer cocktail and also tried it at the distillery. Auchentoshan's younger/cheaper stuff is generally good cocktail fodder and they're now marketing it as such, pushing the Bartender's malt or whatever but I haven't tried it. Recently just finished off a bottle of Heartwood I was using exclusively for old fashioneds and manhattans.

After my Glencairn glass suffered a crack and the other smaller stumpier one barely served its purpose, I decided to invest in a copita glass as I'd always wanted one. Had my first dram in it last night and can honestly say it was one of the best whisky experiences I've had. I had no idea how the shape of a glass could enhance the smell of the whisky. It's quite a large copita with a decent sized base so plenty of swirling capability which seems to release more aroma. With a smaller Glencairn my nose was almost too close to the malt so could only really smell the alcohol but no such trouble with a deeper glass. Had a Tomintoul 16 miniature I'd been saving and was really enjoyable. 

I've had a rule where I only have 5 bottles at any one time, which stops me from blowing all my money on bottles I'll take a lifetime to drink. But recently I've finished off a Laphroaig 10 and a Dalwhinnie 15, leaving two Balvenies and a Royal Lochnagar 12. Enjoying the Deanston reviews on here so I might look in that direction, and am considering either an Ardbeg or a Lagavulin 16 to keep Islay represented.

It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone have any subscriptions etc they would recommend where they get a certain number of samples a month for example?

13 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

After my Glencairn glass suffered a crack and the other smaller stumpier one barely served its purpose, I decided to invest in a copita glass as I'd always wanted one. Had my first dram in it last night and can honestly say it was one of the best whisky experiences I've had. I had no idea how the shape of a glass could enhance the smell of the whisky. It's quite a large copita with a decent sized base so plenty of swirling capability which seems to release more aroma. With a smaller Glencairn my nose was almost too close to the malt so could only really smell the alcohol but no such trouble with a deeper glass. Had a Tomintoul 16 miniature I'd been saving and was really enjoyable. 

I've had a rule where I only have 5 bottles at any one time, which stops me from blowing all my money on bottles I'll take a lifetime to drink. But recently I've finished off a Laphroaig 10 and a Dalwhinnie 15, leaving two Balvenies and a Royal Lochnagar 12. Enjoying the Deanston reviews on here so I might look in that direction, and am considering either an Ardbeg or a Lagavulin 16 to keep Islay represented.

It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone have any subscriptions etc they would recommend where they get a certain number of samples a month for example?

Not a subscription , but will offer the suggestion of Glencadam , well made , affordable whisky , 12 or 15 

Topped up my infinity bottle last night and appear to have accidentally made Kilkerran despite there not being anything from Campbeltown in there (that I can remember).