whisky lovers

On 08/05/2020 at 07:27, Bairnardo said:

About to sound a touch ungrateful here but Mrs B was informed of a "good deal" on a bottle of Singleton in Asda. Think it's some distillers edition or something. Anyway she decided she was going to buy me it, which is a nice gesture and all, and it tastes ok, but the deal was 26 notes which had expired when she got there. She paid 37 quid for it emoji15.png Hadnt the heart to tell her I'd have got something much better for that money

Think singleton has 3 distilleries and Ive had some varying results. Tailfire is decent for the price but not had it for years, had the spey cascade though and was pish. I did pop in to their muir of ord distillery last year and got a 14 yo cask strength finished in 3 different barrels and was very nice.

Think singleton has 3 distilleries and Ive had some varying results. Tailfire is decent for the price but not had it for years, had the spey cascade though and was pish. I did pop in to their muir of ord distillery last year and got a 14 yo cask strength finished in 3 different barrels and was very nice.

Singleton is the same whisky made at several different distilleries - Glen Ord is one of them. In theory, there shouldn’t be a difference, but as you say there quite clearly is.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Singleton is the same whisky made at several different distilleries - Glen Ord is one of them. In theory, there shouldn’t be a difference, but as you say there quite clearly is.

Not sure what you mean by same whisky if its at 3 different distilleries? The Glen Ord stuff you rarely see anywhere other than Asia apparently as the vast majority of it is sold there. Think the majority you see here is Singleton of Dufftown on the bottles.

Couple of Loch lomonds  ( inchmurrins , ) 112. 46 & 56 , both ex Smws ,  courtesy of @hearts official moaner 

both are finished in French oak casks the 46 in moscatel, and the 53 in limousin , for me the 46 just shades it for me 

piccie if the 53 , it’s still a nice dram but the 46 has extra complexity , lovely 

0ADCBF73-681A-4DC8-AD94-764AB3E40738.jpeg

Clearly won’t be a popular choice with the hardened whisky veterans, but i bought a bottle of Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask as i saw it was only £22 in the coop. Not particularly complicated as you’d expect, but very pleasant and will be a go to bargain dram for me going forward.

19 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Clearly won’t be a popular choice with the hardened whisky veterans, but i bought a bottle of Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask as i saw it was only £22 in the coop. Not particularly complicated as you’d expect, but very pleasant and will be a go to bargain dram for me going forward.

Cheap whisky != bad whisky. I've tore through half a bottle of Tamnavulin double cask with mates on a good night and likewise with Johnnie Walker Black label.

Getting joy out of a £20 bottle is great.

On 23/05/2020 at 22:19, HI HAT said:

I love my Mrs, surprised me today with this wee beauty.  

20200523_211233.jpg

When you tell her you've put a pic up of what looks like a cobweb on the wall behind (halfway up the neck of the bottle) it will be your last!

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

My brother has hinted at a bottle of Glengoyne 21yo for his 50th, not seen it under £145, is that about right ?

When's his 50th? It was well under that recently. Seen it as low as £82 but that's even too low it's a £100ish bottle, maybe would pay up to £110 ish if it was a gift.

If you have time I would wait. That's way too dear. It's £135 on Amazon which is the lowest I see.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

When's his 50th? It was well under that recently. Seen it as low as £82 but that's even too low it's a £100ish bottle, maybe would pay up to £110 ish if it was a gift.

If you have time I would wait. That's way too dear. It's £135 on Amazon which is the lowest I see.

Agree, it used to sit around the £100 mark until recently. I just checked my Amazon account, I paid £82.50 on 18th Dec but that was a 'deal of the day' type reduction.