whisky lovers

17 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm going to make my own. I have 3 bottles now from the same distillery. Going to be a master amateur blender. 

56351FDC-8496-4D10-985E-131A7321F5FE.jpeg

I let my membership lapse last year as never actually used their bars but with the Glasgow one now on the go soon can see me getting it again. Hard to get a bad bottle from them.

Edited by gannonball

Finished the last of a bottle of glenlivit founders reserve an a 15 y.o glenfiddich.
No great complaints of either but would not buy them again.

At a simmilar price point id rather have a 12 y.o glenfiddich than the glenlivit.

The 15 y.o was nice if slightly dull and i would spend the extra ona bottle of 18 y.o.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Had an opportunity to get a Glenfarclas 25 yo cheap (ish) snd went for it. Any opinions on it?

Depends how cheap but generally it's really good value for a 25 year old whisky. And very nice too, you'll like it.

40 minutes ago, gannonball said:

One for the fellow Deano fans on here.

First fill sherry cask strength. Its fucking lovely. Usually put a bit of water with cask strength but it tastes that nice without Ive yet to do it. Not as sweet as other deanstons, a bit more woody.

33CB020B-4592-472B-9E68-553FBABC2F4B.jpeg

I have a couple of those as well albeit a different batch. You're right, exceptional stuff especially for its age. Drinking it sans water is a really cool experience, makes your whole face tingle. 😂

I have a couple of those as well albeit a different batch. You're right, exceptional stuff especially for its age. Drinking it sans water is a really cool experience, makes your whole face tingle. [emoji23]
When they are that strong you can feel the evaporation happening in your mouth and fumes out your nose.

I approve wholeheartedly

On 11/04/2020 at 10:27, 8MileBU said:

Last night I opened and tried 15 y/o French Oak Cask by Deanston for the first time. Unsure if it was because I was right in the mood for a tipple but what a bloody lovely drop!

One of my favourite distilleries, yet to try one I’ve not liked and has some exceptional drams.

I’m not a whisky drinker but I assume once it’s out of the cask and into a bottle it’s doesn't get any better (or worse).

I have a few bottles going back 35-40 years, some opened some not.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

One of my favourite distilleries, yet to try one I’ve not liked and has some exceptional drams.

I have yet to try a Deanston that hasn’t led to me getting pished or at least half pished without that intention through sheer enjoyment.

One for the fellow Deano fans on here.
First fill sherry cask strength. Its fucking lovely. Usually put a bit of water with cask strength but it tastes that nice without Ive yet to do it. Not as sweet as other deanstons, a bit more woody.
33CB020B-4592-472B-9E68-553FBABC2F4B.thumb.jpeg.aa8b3d86dcd7227042fe1056f4647e85.jpeg

Couple of things;
If buying a single cask expression I would generally try and buy one distilled in the winter months, that one also seems to be just too strong for my liking.

Get a decent set of knives.[emoji41]

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

All whisky gets better as soon as it touches your lips!

I’ve tried whisky a few times, never acquired a taste for it.

I quite like the occasional Drambuie and will always pour a drop of whiskey over my haggis mind you.

6 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Couple of things;
If buying a single cask expression I would generally try and buy one distilled in the winter months, that one also seems to be just too strong for my liking.

Get a decent set of knives.emoji41.png

Alot of ‘cask strength’ whisky isnt actually cask strength so you will find much is at this sort of abv then slightly watered down to industry standard cask strength (63.5).

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I shall be opening my North Star Sirius 31 year old tonight, because why the f**k not. Updates will be provided assuming anyone is even remotely interested 😃

There are still a few bottles kicking around the usual retailers I seen, report back.

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

I shall be opening my North Star Sirius 31 year old tonight, because why the f**k not. Updates will be provided assuming anyone is even remotely interested 😃

Let me know how you get on, as i ordered it as I had shares in a company called sirius which totally bombed and then got bought out. I then saw the whisky heavily reduced and took as a sign. For the price its going for Im not expecting much considering its age though, worth a punt on the pissy money I got for my shares.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Let me know how you get on, as i ordered it as I had shares in a company called sirius which totally bombed and then got bought out. I then saw the whisky heavily reduced and took as a sign. For the price its going for Im not expecting much considering its age though, worth a punt on the pissy money I got for my shares.

I'm a huge fan of everything north star, but this was too rich for me at £130. It was discounted to around £75 on master of malt the other week and I couldnt say no at that price. I have a few unopened Vega that will be staying unopened for the time being, but as Gigi said, I can get another one of the Sirius easily if its decent. 

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not a whisky drinker but I assume once it’s out of the cask and into a bottle it’s doesn't get any better (or worse).

I have a few bottles going back 35-40 years, some opened some not.

Correct. It matures in the cask and not the bottle.

If you ever need a hand making room..